Ships

andreretogasserandreretogasser Posts: 256
edited September 2019 in Product Suggestions

I would be very happy if the existing historic ships could be brought up to date. Although the actual choice of ships is not even bad, in close-ups, there are regularly unpleasant surprises.

Post edited by andreretogasser on

Comments

• Hopefully when that Midway movie comes out we'll see an uptick in old ships/other WW II content.

Also not a stretch to see some iray renders for the old ships maybe, see a lot of pretty iray shaders for super old car products so who knows.

• First question would be what era are you wanting and how detailed do you want the ships?

There was a thread about ships a long time ago (I think), and the consensus was that any modern large ship (aircraft carrier, cruise ship, etc) is resource intensive, and most computers can't handle that.

• There used to be a few very nice ship models by Sirmacman (long since left the store, unfortunately). A couple of smaller boats, a tramp steamer, and a Clyde Puffer. Fairly light on resources too, IIRC. Something along those lines built to modern DAZ standards would be nice to see in the store again.

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037

I would be very happy if the existing historic ships could be brought up to date. Although the actual choice of ships is not even bad, in close-ups, there are regularly unpleasant surprises.

Which era of ships? Or just all of them?

• andreretogasserandreretogasser Posts: 256
    edited September 2019
    RKane_1 said:

Which era of ships? Or just all of them?

Actually, all (yes, I'm modest here)..... :-)

I use "Clyde puffer" and "Tramp steamer" very regularly for many of my projects.... and would use them a lot more if the close ups were not somehow "painful" in post-work (when round things suddenly get edged) ... Disappointing is further that these ships are empty inside .... I do not expect to have every single bulkhead etc, but at least a tiny bit of bridge would not be a luxury (this same circumstance has made the otherwise wonderful "Coast Guard Cutter" a disappointment for my work). Many details where I do not need them and no details where the plot takes place - very often my problem with products I buy here.

For a much bigger project (for the next year) I have a similar problem with the really wonderful sailing ships (Licorne, Medusa, Victory). Same problem - normally, cables (ropes) have no edges .... not in my world.

Well, I have not tested the Victory on closeups yet. My problem with Nelson's old lady is that I would need a 3rd or 4th rate, not a 1st rate (3-decker). I guess I will have to "sink" the bottom battery deck to get a 2-decker...... Some first tests I did were not bad, only the rear windows and the rudder get much too deep ... which is logical to be fair.

Even interiors of old ships would be good to have for the project - what is currently on the platform is limited to captain's cabins and is - carefully expressed for my purposes not very useful or will ask a hughe work of conversion and kitbashing.

Post edited by andreretogasser on