Separate teeth and tongue from body mesh!

Hello DAZ Team! I don't know how to contact you for suggest so i do it here! 
I'm a cg rigger and i noticed something important in your models.

The teeth and tongue are not separated from the body mesh! For a better quality model you should separate teeth and tongue.

At the moment we are forced to tweak it manually causing some textures stretch in the mouth cavity, and this give useless extra work. 

You should really give the ability to separate teeth and tongue!

Cheers!

Comments

• For shaping you can mask off the areas you don't want to move. If textures are stretching, you can paint on the adjusted shape.

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,344

The teeth are separate mesh (at least on newer base models - I haven't checked older ones), but I struggle to see how separate tongue mesh improves the quality of the model; most people's tongues are quite well attached.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,819
    edited August 2019

Actually it is a lot of separate meshes if you export to other software 

its just welded in DAZ studio 

morphloader can attenuate by body part too for creating morphs

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • IsaacNewtonIsaacNewton Posts: 1,300

It would still be useful to have the option of having the tongue and especially the teeth as separatable (unwelded) meshes in DAZ Studio, especially for extreme morphs.

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,344
    edited August 2019

It would still be useful to have the option of having the tongue and especially the teeth as separatable (unwelded) meshes in DAZ Studio, especially for extreme morphs.

Then you need to use things like geografts and mesh add-ons - If you need to modify figure geometry, that is how it's done (Daz having to change how the base works would both be much more limited and would break every existing morph product - changing the number of vertices and thus the vertex order).

Post edited by Matt_Castle on
  • Good point Matt. So, what we need is a set of geografted gnashers that could be fitted to both G3/8 male and female, with a whole bunch of morphs. The current teeth for G3/8 are not bad but are low poly, in line with the base characters. Currently, to make subtle/detailed changes to the teeth you need to be a DAZ PA to have access to the HD technology. If high poly geografted teeth were available then anyone could make additional morphs according to their own liking/requirements, even using free software. Or vendors could make and sell morph packs for the teeth geografts. As for the tongue, there are already one or two geografts available for G3 and G8.

• SskySsky Posts: 5
    edited September 2019

Some miss understand .

Actually for a production character, what we need, as a rigger is to have gums and teeth separated from the body mesh. 

Actually the tongue and gums are parts of the body, and it's a problem when you design modular rigging systems.

The other thing is that when you create your blendshape targets is you want to rig the face, each targets has gum and teeth with it, wich is not good and not practical at all.

So to get it work at the moment, we import the model on maya for exemple and we need to separate the gum/tongue faces and rebuild a 3 meshes, one for upper gun and teeth, same for lower and one for the tongue. Then we need to adjust UV because of texture stretching. And of course, blendshapes are broken is you want to morph with other shapes, meaning that you need to wrap and recreate shapes according to the new mesh you tweaked. 

So the simple would be to have gums and teeth as separate meshes, i can't see the point to get in merged wit the full body mesh. 

It would a lot more simple for exporting, no need to break the model and it would add more flexibility as you could manage more shapes and interaction system for gum, teeth and tongue. 

Cheers!

Post edited by Ssky on
  • netartistnetartist Posts: 0

Separating teeth and tongue from body mesh would be awesome! I'm also struggling with this as I want to animate the character in Unity with Face Cap