How do I fill?

tdrdtdrd Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

I have looked in the manual and online and can not find how to fill an object face.

I have two objects.

First the cube.

I removed the top face... now I have a topless cube... how do I replace the missing face?

Same again, I wanted to replace a face of a tesselated object - I selected all the lines around the missing face but can not find how to fill in the gap.

Secondly - I have created a cylinder. Now this has the ends open.

I did a loop select of the edges around the top of the cylinder but can not fill in the end.

I'd appreciate any replies, and as usual thanks in advance for all the help past and future...

Terry

Comments

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

tdrd said:
    I have looked in the manual and online and can not find how to fill an object face.

I have two objects.

First the cube.

I removed the top face... now I have a topless cube... how do I replace the missing face?

"close hole" button up top - dark blue circle inside a square - it'll find all the holes, click on/near the white line which then turns red, and validate.

Or select 2 opposing lines, and then click the "Bridge Button".

Same again, I wanted to replace a face of a tesselated object - I selected all the lines around the missing face but can not find how to fill in the gap.

Depends on the object. You might want to hold down the Ctrl key and extract inward just a little [to keep the edge], then extract in some more. Eventually using the 'close holes' button to fill the remaining space.

Or select 2 opposing lines, and then click the "Bridge Button". You can select more than one line of a section providing they are all in a row and have an equal number of opposing lines to select.

Secondly - I have created a cylinder. Now this has the ends open.

I did a loop select of the edges around the top of the cylinder but can not fill in the end.

I'd appreciate any replies, and as usual thanks in advance for all the help past and future...

Terry

When you created the cylinder, there was a funny looking "A", clicking on that would close both holes and validate the creation.
    Once created though, you can click on the close holes button, then click on or near the white line to fill that area - Validate to finish the action.

• Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378
    edited December 1969

Hi, I have the same problem closing a cylinder and cannot find the "funny looking A".

Thanks!

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Hi, I have the same problem closing a cylinder and cannot find the "funny looking A".

Thanks!

It shows up when the close hole(s) button is selected.

n.b. If one has a series of unwelded lines, they will also show up as "holes" -- do not use the funny looking "A" to close them all. Won't happen. In those cases, abort and manually weld the lines together.

close_button.png
    939 x 688 - 100K
  • BerBuzBerBuz Posts: 64
    edited December 1969

There is also another way of creating faces: use facet tool (3rd tool in the “3D primitives” tab) it is not the best nor it is the easiest way but in some cases it can have some advantages (for example if you want to partially close an opening or add faces with specific shapes of specific number of vertices etc…)
    With this method you must select each vertex to build a facet between them (hit enter when your facet is complete). Use “shift-click” to magnetize and stick to the points of the object you want to add the facet to (a small white cross will appear showing the point where the facet will stick). Facet will not stick to a point you haven’t explicitly selected (even if it goes thru it)
    Pay attention not to:
    • Create twisted facets
    • Crossing edges
    • Un-welded points
    • Stick to a near point
    • Create non manifold edges