Scene Tab - One Click Selects All - Whoops

Hi All,

Thanks in advance for any insight or tips on this observation. 

I have recreated this strange behavoir on three occassions, so it is a confirmed issue. With many objects in a scene, I click on the eye icon to hide a figure. However, there is a random occurrence in which I click ONCE just the eye icon and yet every single object in the scene tab is selected (see attachment). I consider myself rather accurate with the mouse and selecting and clicking, as my full time job is animation for quite some time. However, I am open to the idea I am clicking in a manner that is selecting all inadvertently. Thinking out of the box, this could be system lag or hesitation and just perhaps the single left mouse click on one single icon is being interpreted as two clicks or something of the like. 

In any case, I wanted to present this issue out of curiosity of whether it is an issue, or just a strange quark of my machine and Daz. The workstation has exceptional power, so I am confident this is not a system requirement or load issue and would prefer to avoid that direction of discussion. 

I am not filing this as a bug, because I'm not certain it is. 

Thanks

Daz_412_bug_report_aug_2019.PNG
442 x 759 - 37K

Comments

• It happens to me sometimes too, but I haven't figured out a way to have it happen on-demand for a proper bug report.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879

It happens to me sometimes too, but I haven't figured out a way to have it happen on-demand for a proper bug report.

Same boat. frown

• cm152335cm152335 Posts: 421

i have same result since many older Daz versions,

it will reported somewhere as "minor bug" but never fixed 

the bug comes always when many item are listed !

• daz's interface can be a tad slow.. so it will often select a group of items because it still thinks some thing is clicked and will connect them to your new click.
    ---
    and with newer uber fast mice happens a lot. 
    ---
    Daz clicks seem to respond about as well as my online clicks in ESO and I have a 600/700 ms ping there. 

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449

daz's interface can be a tad slow.. so it will often select a group of items because it still thinks some thing is clicked and will connect them to your new click.
    ---
    ---
    Daz clicks seem to respond about as well as my online clicks in ESO and I have a 600/700 ms ping there. 

And here was me thinking that my old mouse was too slow so I bought a new gaming mouse with a wire connection just to be sure. Now I get this problem more than I used to with the old, slow mouse.

• marble said:

daz's interface can be a tad slow.. so it will often select a group of items because it still thinks some thing is clicked and will connect them to your new click.
    ---
    ---

And here was me thinking that my old mouse was too slow so I bought a new gaming mouse with a wire connection just to be sure. Now I get this problem more than I used to with the old, slow mouse.

yep. using a gaming mouse here, too. 
    ------
    and I just played two hours on line with faster actions via satelite than in daz. And of course, the  usual number of "daz studio is not reponding, would you like to wait or shut the program down" messages from the system

• GLEGLE Posts: 52

Happens to me too, I thought I didn't know how to mouse...

A lot of things are single threaded in Daz Studio, and Windows has an habit of constantly reassigning threads to CPU cores. I bet this is one of those things that happens when the Scene pane is too busy.

Another single threaded affair is the background cleanup after closing Studio: if you have a complex scene with 5-6 characters, the Studio precess sits in the background at 12% CPU, tidying up for half an hour.

While I can get that the UI is one thread, or that the Scene panel is one thread, I don't get why the cleanup must be single threaded. Just peg my CPU to 100% and cleanup already.

GLE said:

Happens to me too, I thought I didn't know how to mouse...

A lot of things are single threaded in Daz Studio, and Windows has an habit of constantly reassigning threads to CPU cores. I bet this is one of those things that happens when the Scene pane is too busy.

Another single threaded affair is the background cleanup after closing Studio: if you have a complex scene with 5-6 characters, the Studio precess sits in the background at 12% CPU, tidying up for half an hour.

While I can get that the UI is one thread, or that the Scene panel is one thread, I don't get why the cleanup must be single threaded. Just peg my CPU to 100% and cleanup already.

I'm in the habit of closing down DAZ Studio for every new scene (I do stories with lots of scenes - like comics but not in comic panels). I do this because I became convinced that DAZ Studio doesn't release the memory (especially VRAM) - though I could easily be wrong. Nevertheless, it is now a habit. Would the background cleanup continue with DAZ Studio closed?

marble said:

I'm in the habit of closing down DAZ Studio for every new scene (I do stories with lots of scenes - like comics but not in comic panels). I do this because I became convinced that DAZ Studio doesn't release the memory (especially VRAM) - though I could easily be wrong. Nevertheless, it is now a habit. Would the background cleanup continue with DAZ Studio closed?

When you close Daz Studio and go to the Task Manager, you will see that Studio gets moved to the background processes. If you close an empty scene, it will disappear almost immediately, but load many figures, then close, and it will stay there for a long time - especially if you have a lot of morphs in your library for the figures you loaded, doesn't matter if they are dialed or not. You will see that the RAM usage will gradually go down till the "ghost scene" is empty, then the process will be terminated.

IIRC, if you reopen Daz Studio while the cleanup is in progress, the old DAZStudio.exe will get moved from background processes back to the Apps section of Task Manager and the new window will run in the old process. If you open a second Studio window, it will run in a separate DAZStudio.exe process. So a safer way of starting a new process would be loading a new windows just before closing the old one. Loading a new window will clear the Daz temp folder, so if you open a scene, load a new window, and try to render the scene from the old window, you will find missing textures. Richard should be able to comment on this, I remember him discussing this in another thread, but can't really remember where.

In my experience, Daz Studio does not clog the VRAM per se, the Iray renderer does sometimes, or the nVidia driver freaks out and gets stuck. When this happens, I tend to reboot the machine to avoid further problems. You can monitor if your VRAM or GPU is stuck with MSI afterburner (you don't have to have a MSI card for it to work, and it's very stable. The UI is a bit over the top though)

GLE said:
    marble said:

In my experience, Daz Studio does not clog the VRAM per se, the Iray renderer does sometimes, or the nVidia driver freaks out and gets stuck. When this happens, I tend to reboot the machine to avoid further problems. You can monitor if your VRAM or GPU is stuck with MSI afterburner (you don't have to have a MSI card for it to work, and it's very stable. The UI is a bit over the top though)

Yes, I have Afterburner and also GPU-Z which I use to monitor the VRAM. I used Afterburner to set up the fans.

Also a habit I've formed is to clear the old scene (CTRL+N) before starting a new one or before exiting DAZ Studio. Is that what you mean by "loading a new window"?

edited August 2019

By loading a new window I mean clicking on a Daz Studio icon in the Start Menu or on your Desktop, wich results in running a new DAZStudio.exe process.

Judging by the log files, CTRL+N is the same as loading a new scene directly. The first lines are always something like "clearing the scene".

Post edited by GLE on
    GLE said:

By loading a new window I mean clicking on a Daz Studio icon in the Start Menu or on your Desktop, wich results in running a new DAZStudio.exe process.

Judging by the log files, CTRL+N is the same as loading a new scene directly. The first lines are always something like "clearing the scene".

OK, then my habit was to no purpose: clearing the old scene will happen regardless of whether I manually (CTRL+N) it before loading the new scene. Thanks for saving me a little time. 

I tried watching Task Manager as I closed down DAZ Studio with a scene involving a room, various props and 3 G8 figures/clothing, etc. As you say, the process shows active for a while after closing - in my case it took about 20 seconds to disappear. Not a huge inconvenience if I wait half a minute ... I had been doing that anyway, mostly.

• Great responses, great theories and glad to know I'm not alone! So it is a thing, we'll have to try to live with it.