Creating a brick surface?

tdrdtdrd Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

Okay, before people go on to say - use a texture and apply it to the surface - no good.

I need the actual mouldings of brickwork as I am using Hexagon to create a signal box which will be sent to the 3d printer for printing.

Therefore I need a means of creating actual bricks on a surface.

Now I guess laying individual bricks will be not only tedious, but high in polys so has anyone any ideas on how I could achieve this please.

Thanks in advance

Terry

Comments

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

tdrd said:
    Okay, before people go on to say - use a texture and apply it to the surface - no good.

I need the actual mouldings of brickwork as I am using Hexagon to create a signal box which will be sent to the 3d printer for printing.

Therefore I need a means of creating actual bricks on a surface.

Now I guess laying individual bricks will be not only tedious, but high in polys so has anyone any ideas on how I could achieve this please.

Thanks in advance

Terry

Make one brick. Make a straight line. Select brick. Click "copy on support". Click on line. Should then have a line of bricks.
    Can clone the line to get more rows.

n.b. uvmap the brick first but do not apply a shading domain unless you want them all to have the very same material assignment.

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,845
    edited December 1969

Make one brick. Make a straight line. Select brick. Click "copy on support". Click on line. Should then have a line of bricks.

Why? The Multiple Copies tool is far easier to work with.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Ascania said:

Why? The Multiple Copies tool is far easier to work with.

Yes that would work too.