Centering/Resetting entire scene...

MithoronMithoron Posts: 47
edited December 2013 in Daz Studio Discussion

One thing I find is when I have a large scene (e.g., currently playing around with The Study) and I use a canned lighting package, I always have to move the lights around because they are always focused upon the center of the scene (e.g., 0 coordinates). Is there an easy way to reposition the entire scene (figures, props, everything) so I can have the zero coordinates wherever I want? So when I import lights they are focused where I want instead of moving them around?

Thanks!

Post edited by Mithoron on

Comments

• RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631
    edited December 1969

would be a nice feature defining your own 000

• MithoronMithoron Posts: 47
    edited December 1969

ruphuss said:
    would be a nice feature defining your own 000

Hehehe, yes it would! I'm hoping somebody has a nice trick into doing it...would make life so much easier at times!

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 2013

Most props and Scene Files can be ALT loaded, Hold the ALT key down, left click and HOLD on a item in the content tab and DRAG it to your View port. You will get (most times) a RED YELLOW target that your item will LOAD to. The Target is limited to the Default ground plane, it can not load Items on top of other items, only to the plane.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 2013

Jaderail said:
    Most props and Scene Files can be ALT loaded, Hold the ALT key down, left click and HOLD on a item in the content tab and DRAG it to your View port. You will get (most times) a RED YELLOW target that your item will LOAD to. The Target is limited to the Default ground plane, it can not load Items on top of other items, only to the plane.

Hmm, that's something new, but it doesn't seem to work on lights...tried it with a couple light sets and they always all focus upon 0,0,0. Mainly interested in the spotlights and such, but they're loading the same whether I use the ALT method or not :/

The light packages I tried it on were Poser ones, so will have to try it on some Daz Lights tomorrow...

Thanks though, learned something new!

Post edited by Mithoron on
    edited December 2013

Yep Most lights load Default every time. For created lights like Spot and Point you can do the Menu Option of OF current view from the Perspective Camera. See below...
    That places the Spots in the same position as the Camera at that time. If you EDIT lights to Be in Different PLACES and save those AS a Lights Presets you can load that preset and know Where the lights will load.

Capture-001.png
    333 x 246 - 25K
    Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Yep Most lights load Default every time. For created lights like Spot and Point you can do the Menu Option of OF current view from the Perspective Camera. See below...
    That places the Spots in the same position as the Camera at that time. If you EDIT lights to Be in Different PLACES and save those AS a Lights Presets you can load that preset and know Where the lights will load.

Very cool...

I knew about the light presets, but that doesn't apply to the original post as I'm bringing in a purchased packaged set, so until I move all the lights around, there's nothing to save :p Also knew about placing the lights at the perspective of the camera/view; however, again that does not seem to apply to this situation as I'm importing a Poser Light set (3 distant lights, 4 spot lights....it's the spot lights I have to reposition).

The reason it's an issue is I'm looking through the 30 presets from the package and have to adjust each sets' lights...which gets to be monotonous with so many lights. All the lights are centered at 0,0,0...so it's either reset the scene somehow so my 0,0,0 is where my model is or bring in the lights at a specific coordinate.

Thanks for the help though!

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,324
    edited December 1969

What you can do, create a primitive cube at default zero position, then in the scene hierarchy, parent all the "study" props to this cube, and if you want to keep the character figure in it's current position relative to those same props, parent it as well. Now create a second primitive, lets say a cylinder. It remains unparented.

Now using the Parameter dials for translation, move the x and z axis dials until your character is at the second unparented primitive cylinder which is at zero position. delete the cylinder. All the default "zero position " loaded lights will now shine on your character at zero position. Hide the parent cube so it doesn't show up in your shot.

edited December 1969

FirstB to the rescue, Makes me wonder why I took all the time saving Urban Sprawl and Urban Sprawl II with different positions. That works so much faster.