Merlin’s Oak [Commercial]

Merlin StudiosMerlin Studios Posts: 317
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Merlin's Oak has sheltered many a wandering soul on a cold, wet night; its low hanging boughs protecting all who huddle beneath its mighty shadow. The ancient branches reach out, as if to warm themselves on the camp fire below, but ever wary of the dancing flames...

http://www.daz3d.com/new-releases/merlin-s-oak-plants-and-props-set

Merlin's Oak is a 180 degree environment for Poser and DAZ Studio. It comes with panoramic views and three skydomes and lights: Day, night and Sunset. It also comes with seven camera presets.

MerlinsOak04.jpg
807 x 1050 - 229K
MerlinsOak06.jpg
807 x 1050 - 300K
MerlinsOakMain01.jpg
807 x 1050 - 290K

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Still have to build the rest of the scene, but it looks good all snowy. I like the fact that I could pull some of the leaves off, and just leave a few to get frosted.

Merlin_tree_snowy.jpg
    900 x 675 - 675K
  • RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631
    edited December 2013

sorry but the branches do not look very naturally
    especially the bendings
    and the bark looks to artificial
    how a bout a better uv map
    I think you could do better
    but perhaps it is just the promo

Post edited by Ruphuss on
  • RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631
    edited December 1969

now have a look pls at this

Reither_Eiche1920.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • v-manv-man Posts: 0
    edited December 2013

Merlin's Oak has sheltered many a wandering soul on a cold, wet night; its low hanging boughs protecting all who huddle beneath its mighty shadow. The ancient branches reach out, as if to warm themselves on the camp fire below, but ever wary of the dancing flames...

Does [commercial] in the title mean that the model can be embedded into a 3D game for the purpose of real-time rendereing (most likely the model would be significantly decimated, and it would be embedded with other models or stored in a non-traditional format). Also, I've seen a few of your other (and very cool, by the way) scenes and props that I'd love to use, but haven't purchased them yet, since i m not sure what your license is. Can you please let me know. Thanks.

P.S. - if you PM me it may not get through - posermocap just had some issue PMing and I don't think my PMs got sent either.

Post edited by v-man on
  • Merlin StudiosMerlin Studios Posts: 317
    edited December 2013

ruphuss said:
    sorry but the branches do not look very naturally
    especially the bendings
    and the bark looks to artificial
    how a bout a better uv map
    I think you could do better
    but perhaps it is just the promo

Thanks for the feedback and photo :) The angularity on some of the branches is necessary to keep the poly count down and speed up render times and to be honest it isn't noticeable from most angles. For a perfect oak tree model like the one you posted the poly count would be well over 1.5 million polygons rather than the 300k it currently is. Add the rest of the scene to that, as well as some clothed people and it would bump it up to 2 million and I guarantee your software wouldn't like that at all :)

v-man as far as I'm aware, the EULA doesn't allow products for use in games unless a games license is purchased:

https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/entries/123839-Can-I-use-DAZ-3D-s-products-in-a-video-game-that-I-am-producing-

This is something I will look into for you though, so please bear with me :)

Post edited by Merlin Studios on
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Still have to build the rest of the scene, but it looks good all snowy. I like the fact that I could pull some of the leaves off, and just leave a few to get frosted.

That's very nice! I was considering doing snow covered versions of my scenes too :)

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

That's very nice! I was considering doing snow covered versions of my scenes too :)

That would be great.

• v-manv-man Posts: 0
    edited December 2013

v-man as far as I'm aware, the EULA doesn't allow products for use in games unless a games license is purchased: This is something I will look into for you though, so please bear with me :)

Yup - that's Daz gaming license and I intend to purchase that anyway. But that license applies to Daz3D originals, not indie artists selling their stuff on Daz3D, right ? And your art doesn't seem to be part of he DAZ originals (if it was, I'd think it would have that little sign and Daz3D would be listed as the first artist in the list). So, with that being the case, I think Merlin Studios would be the ones that would be issuing (or not) the separate games-allowed EULA. Although, I am not exactly sure how that works ... :(

Post edited by v-man on
  • cecilia.robinsoncecilia.robinson Posts: 2,208
    edited December 1969

That is one stunning pack. You just keep making better and better stuff when everybody thinks Merlin cannot get better :D. My Santa's cruel by not bringing me that set :P... Big congrats.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,800
    edited December 1969

Works in Carrara 8.5 as well... with a few lighting adjustments ;-)

I like it, probably because it looks similar to one close by me

Christmas2013.jpg
    800 x 600 - 498K
  • edited December 1969

I have seen some great pictures here & I am very tempted by this tree. But I like to do really close up pictures. Has anyone tried doing a picture that is very, very close & shows the indivual leaves? Thanks!

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,800
    edited December 1969

Here is a quick closer up one that was quickly rendered in Carrara before I start to make some trifle

Toucan_in_Oak_tree.jpg
    1000 x 667 - 526K
  • maraichmaraich Posts: 489
    edited December 1969

I realize the tree is the main event, so to speak, but I have to say that the campfire is pretty much the best one I've ever seen.

• edited December 1969

Thank you Stezza! That shows me what I wanted to know! :-)

Nice render you have done!

edited December 1969

Thanks everyone! :)

Love the Christmas render Stezza! lol

Here's a wider render without the camp fire...

OakTree03.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 462K
  • IndigoJansonIndigoJanson Posts: 1,100
    edited December 1969

Beautiful work -- as always! I'm looking forward to getting my hands on this one (and believe me, I will). I think it will be very versatile and a great addition to my other Merlin products.

edited December 1969

Jindi said:
    Beautiful work -- as always! I'm looking forward to getting my hands on this one (and believe me, I will). I think it will be very versatile and a great addition to my other Merlin products.

Thank you! :)

Here's a winter night pic...

MerlinsOakNight.jpg
    807 x 1005 - 409K