How to improve - tips and techniques for post render processing

ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,888
edited August 2019 in Art Studio

I really miss a thread where we could discuss different approaches for post render processing.

Please share your thoughts and the tools, you are using (whatever they are):

Filter Forge, Topaz Studio, PhotoDonut, DAP (Dynamic Auto Painter), PhotoLemur, GIMP, Photoshop, etc.

Below is one of my tests.

Sometimes the render does not look right or you want to show more details.

I have rendered Orangutan - https://www.daz3d.com/ape-world-orangutan-with-dforce-hair-for-genesis-8-male

but wish to show how the fur looks a like in details.

Using Topaz Studio and its preset: HDR for Micro Details, I got this

Orangutan05pic01.jpg
1024 x 1024 - 235K
Orangutan05pic01HDRforMicroDet.jpg
1024 x 1024 - 549K
Post edited by Artini on

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,905
    edited August 2019

I tried out this in above video

peenwolf said:

Style Transfer Algorithms are becoming quite good these days too.

Even animated

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • GoggerGogger Posts: 2,317
    edited August 2019

I tried out this in above video

What is the actual tool or software here?  Something from DeepArt.io, or Two Minute Papers, or...?   I love learning about cool new tools!

Post edited by Gogger on

I'm not super into Forums and how threads work and what, but is it possible to create a sticky post that stays at the top and lists all the various tools we can find/name, with links to them? 

i.e.

Filter Forge
    Topaz Studio
    PhotosDonut
    DAP (Dynamic Auto Painter)
    PhotoLemur
    etc.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,888

I am not sure if moderators will like the links to the tools posted.

edited August 2019

the one I posted is a quote from the other Topaz  forum thread and it's free, I just shared a video the links are in the videos on youtube, theirs and mine

and no you cannot link anything commercial offsite

at least I never can

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited August 2019

the one I posted is a quote from the other Topaz  forum thread and it's free, I just shared a video the links are in the videos on youtube, theirs and mine

and no you cannot link anything commercial offsite

at least I never can

Yes, I have posted some links in the past and they were removed.

Post edited by Artini on
    edited August 2019

OH - wow, I thought it was only for competing 3D stores, but I get it. Otherwise these awesome threads will turn into spam and advertising based posts. Fair enough.  I guess if we name the tool a Google search can do the rest. <LOL>

Post edited by Gogger on

I have a kitchen for sale .....

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

I played around with PhotoDonut for a little while today.  Got some really cool effects from that but it's SORT of like Topaz the way it's set up!  

RAMWolff said:

I played around with PhotoDonut for a little while today.  Got some really cool effects from that but it's SORT of like Topaz the way it's set up!  

I only played with PhotoDonut for less than five minutes but thought, "Oh my! It is very slow!" 

I am okay with that as long as I know what to expect. Gives me time to go grab a sammich!

edited August 2019

I have a kitchen for sale .....

I might be interested in your kichen for sale, if you can provide a suitably improved image using one of the tools listed in this thread.  <JK LOL>

Post edited by Gogger on
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,317
    Gogger said:
    RAMWolff said:

I only played with PhotoDonut for less than five minutes but thought, "Oh my! It is very slow!" 

I am okay with that as long as I know what to expect. Gives me time to go grab a sammich!

I use PhotoDonut and don't find it particularly slow, but on this new machine I don't have anything to compare it with, I couldn't find my old filterforge licenese so couldn't install that. I like PhotoDonut but its not quite enough for me which is why I was looking at DAP but with the exchange rate the pro version is a bit to high a price for me at the moment.

Gogger said:

I'm not super into Forums and how threads work and what, but is it possible to create a sticky post that stays at the top and lists all the various tools we can find/name, with links to them? 

i.e.

Filter Forge
    Topaz Studio
    PhotosDonut
    DAP (Dynamic Auto Painter)
    PhotoLemur
    etc.

No it seems it will just get moved to the art forums so that only a certain section of the community is likely to see it. Shame it could have been a handy thread more useful than all the chat threads that populate the Commons.

edited August 2019
    scorpio said:
    Gogger said:
    RAMWolff said:

I use PhotoDonut and don't find it particularly slow, but on this new machine I don't have anything to compare it with, I couldn't find my old filterforge licenese so couldn't install that. I like PhotoDonut but its not quite enough for me which is why I was looking at DAP but with the exchange rate the pro version is a bit to high a price for me at the moment.

It may have been unfair for me to call PhotoDonut slow, it was just my very first impression while in a hurry.  Filter Forge *can* be slow, but it does not bother me one bit because what I am waiting for is usually so freaking amazing! 

There is plenty of room in my heart for all the little lovely tools to co-exist peacefully!  (I'm rockin' an RTX2080 Ti so sometimes have unrealistic expectations that EVERYTHING should be lightning fast now. HA HA!)

Post edited by Gogger on

Don’t forget Fotosketcher, G’mic, DeepDream, Waifu2X either

Don’t forget Fotosketcher, G’mic, DeepDream, Waifu2X either

I have been using Fotosketcher (and donated) for years now. It is AWESOME!
    Google's DeepDream is crazy cool! I'd be willing to PAY to be able to create slightly larger images (3440x1440 and 1920x1200)
    As for the other two, Hmm,  I gots me some googling to do!

• xmasrose (aka tulipe)xmasrose (aka tulipe) Posts: 1,403
    edited August 2019

I am glad you created this thread @Artini .

Maybe you could advertise it in a few thread where people might be interested like : More Non-photorealisitic Renders (NPR II), 3D Comic Book Tips And Pictures and Carrara Non Photo Realistic Works ...

Post edited by xmasrose (aka tulipe) on

Maybe you could advertise it in a few thread where people might be interested like : More Non-photorealisitic Renders (NPR II), 3D Comic Book Tips And Pictures and Carrara Non Photo Realistic Works ...

All of which are in thhe art forum try advertising it in the commons somwhere, i keep having to go to the oroginal thread for the link since it was moved.

• A thread that may be of interest for some of you : How I create "quick watercolored" Drawings...

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,653

I use GIMP would that count with what are talking about here?

• Hello @Saphirewild.

I am no sure if it's OK with the OP but Gimp has a lot of filters so to me it would fit the theme but I am sure @Artini will tell you what he (or she) feels when he (or she) gets around.

• xmasrose (aka tulipe)xmasrose (aka tulipe) Posts: 1,403
    edited August 2019

Sharing a Topaz Clean image I did a few month ago. It is not a final image just a trial.

and the original

18_LY Sorell G8F-2-1-topaz cartoon detail.png
    450 x 600 - 318K
    18_LY Sorell G8F-2.png
    450 x 600 - 487K
    Post edited by xmasrose (aka tulipe) on

I use GIMP would that count with what are talking about here?

I am a man and any programs that could be used for post render processing goes here fine.

Please share your GIMP knowledge. Thanks.

That is a good idea. I have to find some non intrusive way to do it, though.

• plasma_ringplasma_ring Posts: 1,020

Sharing a Topaz Clean image I did a few month ago. It is not a final image just a trial.

That came out really well! I love the way it picks up the subtle face planes. 

• Lately I`ve been experimenting with Ambient Occlusion pass ( which easily created using Clay Material and netral light in IRAY or just use AoA Ambient Light if you use 3DL)  to makes my render feel more "depth" . 

Layering above standard render and set to multiply with several opacity setting depends effect I`d needed . Another option will be makes BW layer adjustment and set to Luminosity . And start  find depth effect via RED or Yellow sliders

• Thank you @plasma_ring. I have to play with it more.

@juvesatriani_S  sounds interesting! Could you show us some examples with before/after?

• Thank you @plasma_ring. I have to play with it more.

@juvesatriani_S  sounds interesting! Could you show us some examples with before/after?

I`m not use my main computer , but here quick edit using my other images from Manga Cafe thread . It seems subtle but you can see the overal shapes more defined. 

You can check the PSD file in here https://drive.google.com/open?id=1DQS2S4H0JEcFHO0DhXCaoLuw1D5rFqMC

PWToon_Line.jpg
    1000 x 1967 - 627K
    PWToon_Ao.jpg
    1000 x 1967 - 624K
  • Thank you for sharing @juvesatriani_S  .

And you're right it brings out some details giving more depth. Interesting process. Something new to try.

• plasma_ringplasma_ring Posts: 1,020
    edited August 2019

There's a really fun program called PixaTool I picked up about a year ago that creates pixelated images. I usually use the dithering option to give images a retro look and feel, like this:

But the intent behind the program seems to be automating art for 2D games, so it actually does convert to pixelation rather than applying a simulated mosaic effect:

Because of that, there are some things to be aware of when using it:

• The maximum image size it can process is 1280 x 720
    • To export at the same size you imported, your pixelate width and height (first option under the General tab) both have to be 1. Setting it to larger values will size it down accordingly and you need to resize it in a pixel art program if you want it bigger.
    • It's not super intuitive what all of the options do, so you may have to play with them a bit to get the effect you want. 
    Texture686 (1).png
    1280 x 720 - 653K
    Post edited by plasma_ring on