Any Remedy for Hair Cap Artifacts?

I just got around to using the Charlene hair for G8F and I'm noticing thin dark jagged lines that run across the forehead at various locations depending on the angle of the camera. Some of the lines appear 2/3rds of the way down or more. If I remember correctly, the part of the hair texture that could affect this would be the Cap, which should be completely transparent in this region. Are there any fixes/settings I can adjust to prevent these artifacts from showing in renders? I've included a screenshot below.

CharleneHair1.png
1235 x 763 - 2M

Comments

• kenshaw011267kenshaw011267 Posts: 3,805
    edited August 2019

Try adjusting the cap, increase the size slightly. That generally works for me.

Post edited by kenshaw011267 on
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879

I normally add a smoothing modifier and set the collision to 6

• Try adjusting the cap, increase the size slightly. That generally works for me.

I was actually thinking it might be too big, but wasn't sure what exactly was causing it. And I still don't know what is causing it.

Mattymanx said:

How do you add a smoothing modifier to accomplish this?

• FenixPhoenixFenixPhoenix Posts: 3,035

Try adjusting the cap, increase the size slightly. That generally works for me.

I was actually thinking it might be too big, but wasn't sure what exactly was causing it. And I still don't know what is causing it.

Mattymanx said:

How do you add a smoothing modifier to accomplish this?

Select the object in question (in this case the hair), then go to edit > Figure > Geometry > Add smoothing modifier...

Once you've done that, with the hair selected, check out the parameter tab and you'll see the properties created by the smoothing modifier.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,222

I was surprised today to see that those forehead scalp artifacts started showing up when I switched Instancing Optimization from Speed to Memory. When I switched back to Speed, the artifacts went away. That is bad news, because most scenes that use very many instances (like plants/grass in a landscape) require that it be set to Memory to keep Daz Studio from crashing.

• RafmerRafmer Posts: 564

Yep, I second this. I have seen those artifacts in the forehead in two different figures, two different hairs; both in 4.11 and 4.12 studio when using Memory Optimization.

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723

There was an issue that @barbult helped me with, where this would happen if the figure was moved from world center (0,0,0). That was a couple years and early DS 4 versions ago, but thought I'd mention it if it helps.

• RafmerRafmer Posts: 564
    dawnblade said:

There was an issue that @barbult helped me with, where this would happen if the figure was moved from world center (0,0,0). That was a couple years and early DS 4 versions ago, but thought I'd mention it if it helps.

Yeah, I knew about that "fix"; but this seems to be a different problem as that solution doesn't help anymore. Thanks anyway.

• This worked for me best:

Select Hair. Select Parameters. Select Actor. Select Adjusting. Adjust-Headsize +1.

I also adjusted the Cheek-L +9.8, the ForeheadWidth +1.0, and the Adjust-Neck +100% to clear the left hair tendrils away from the face without using Wind.