Genesis 2 Starter pack templates...where do they go?

edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I just downloaded genesis 2 starter essentials and though the main files can be downloaded and installed via the install manager, I notice there are "templates" (aka textures) as a separate download which cannot be installed via the install manager. Where do I put these templates? My library/runtime/textures? Mylibrary\runtime\DAZ\libraries\character? Where? There is no explanation as to what these "templates" are, do, or where they are supposed to be installed. What do they do?

When I try to access Gen 2 basic figure all the loading presets are surrounded by a yellow alert box and exclamation mark (!) so clearly Gen 2 did not install properly.

I do wish DAZ would make efforts to provide crystal clear docs or readmes with these ever increasingly complex products: Genesis, Genesis 2, V3/4/5/6 gen X etc etc. It is become a nighmare for ordinary users without a PHd in DS usage!!

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

I just downloaded genesis 2 starter essentials and though the main files can be downloaded and installed via the install manager, I notice there are “templates” (aka textures) as a separate download which cannot be installed via the install manager. Where do I put these templates? My library/runtime/textures? Mylibrary\runtime\DAZ\libraries\character? Where? There is no explanation as to what these “templates” are, do, or where they are supposed to be installed. What do they do?

Templates are not required to load or use Genesis 2, or any other figure for that matter. Templates are supplied as an optional download for many products, so that users can make their own textures from the templates which are produced from the UV Map for the figure or object. You can put them anywhere you like, DAZ Studio does not 'see' or use them, they are for loading into a program like Photoshop to create your own textures, I store mine in a folder called 'Templates'.

When I try to access Gen 2 basic figure all the loading presets are surrounded by a yellow alert box and exclamation mark (!) so clearly Gen 2 did not install properly.

That usually means that there are orphaned references, or duplicates in the database, it does not mean that they did not install correctly. These only appear in the Smart Content pane. If you want to check that everything has installed correctly, then go to the Content Library pane, DAZ Studio Formats > My DAZ 3D Library > People > Genesis 2 Male (and Female).

There is also a drop down menu in the Content Library pane, and one of the options is 'Content DB Maintenance'. There are a few options in there which may help to sort out your Smart Content, you could try the second and third opti0ns to see if that clears away the exclamation marks?

I hope that helps in the meantime.

• edited December 1969

Thanks so much. Of course! Templates. I kind of already knew this (in poser) but forgot the meaning. For any others that get the alert boxes as described above, my solution was to go to database manager, untick everything except Genesis 2, then "re-import" just the data for genesis 2 male and female. Now the content load boxes are alert free and the figures load correctly.

Thanks Jimmy for your kind help and explanation.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

You are most welcome.