Carrara rendering, RYZEN Threadripper 2990WX 32 core, 64 thread. No need for GPU???

Maverick_LSCMaverick_LSC Posts: 6
edited August 2019 in Carrara Discussion

I'm just curious if anyone is using Carrara has one of these and wonder how fast CPU rendering times are compared to the Octane GPU rendering one. I'm planning a new PC build for next year once DDR5 memory and DDR5 supported TR motherboards are out.

I'm thinking with double the ram speed of DDR5 compared to DDR4 and with the 2990WX processor could make GPU rendering a thing of the past. Your thoughts?

Btw I believe AMD is developing a 64 core 128 thread processor to be released for the consumer PC market.

Post edited by Maverick_LSC on

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711
    edited August 2019

@Jonstark is the Render farming expert I don’t know of any cashed up Carraraites myself if there are any they don’t post here cheeky

@Argus1000 used someone else’s computer with loads of cores once

actually searching Argus has a pretty spiffy PC himself 

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/1560911/#Comment_1560911

24 cores 

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

I don't think that anyone here has tried Carrara using a Threadripper yet.  But it is getting tempting, with the current low prices and sales being offered for 2nd generation processors.  You can put together a pretty solid system for about a thousand (not with the 2990WX of course).

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

Cores!!

32  *faint thud*