Ruris' render and inspirational stuff

RurisRuris Posts: 123
edited November 2019 in Art Studio

Hi all,

I need some help to achieve a similar results to the promo art used for Kanade 8. In this thread, I will share the process currently being used, which most probably contains a lot of mistake so don't worry about pointing it out. If you're also trying to create the same look, feel free to share your journey. I would also like to hear techniques that may not be involved with postwork, like how to make the eye contact better. 

Current items for improvement:

a) gamma/brightness/contrast of base layer straight from daz that is most suitable for postwork. As postwork goes from dark > medium > light.

b) photoshop curve adjustment. This is to lighten the super dark parts, seems easy when superstar youtuber do it, but actually quite difficult (also not having tuned monitors)

This is my latest results. Hope to improve at least 10% in the next few renders.

Post edited by Ruris on

Comments

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,145

looks really good to me. 

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

I think it looks good to me too

• RurisRuris Posts: 123

Hi worlds_edge,nonesuch,

Thanks for your kind words.

One of the promo artist showed me where to find Mercy wings, therefore I manage to complete this piece. 

Current new technique used: I just found out that you can drill into the layer mask and get a whole bunch of other options. As the face is a bit too dark (which I only realized after nearly all the postwork step, a terrible mistake), I have to mask and blend it with a well lighted version. Turns out quite well. One less OCD items knocked off.

Future improvement: Learn how to use those atmos light to get the sunlight streaming from behind look. Or PS paintbrush, both are equally challenging.

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,771

Nice effect! yes

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

I also really like the camera angle on the last one. 

edited August 2019

Thanks, hylas and novica.

Made a ninja fox girl.

https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/839011/

Post edited by Ruris on
  • Ruris said:

Hi all,

I need some help to achieve a similar results to the promo art used for Kanade 8. In this thread, I will share the process currently being used, which most probably contains a lot of mistake so don't worry about pointing it out. If you're also trying to create the same look, feel free to share your journey. I would also like to hear techniques that may not be involved with postwork, like how to make the eye contact better. 

a) gamma/brightness/contrast of base layer straight from daz that is most suitable for postwork. As postwork goes from dark > medium > light.

b) photoshop curve adjustment. This is to lighten the super dark parts, seems easy when superstar youtuber do it, but actually quite difficult (also not having tuned monitors)

This is my latest results. Hope to improve at least 10% in the next few renders.

Great render! I like it. Have you also tried enabling bloom in the iray render settings as this will also give you the soft glow effect. It does slow down the render times though. Looking forward to seeing the end result.

Ruris said:

Hi all,

Great render! I like it. Have you also tried enabling bloom in the iray render settings as this will also give you the soft glow effect. It does slow down the render times though. Looking forward to seeing the end result.

Yes, earlier I did try to experiment with bloom. Then I manage to create my own PS workflow, perhaps will try to implement bloom again someday.

Ruris said:

Thanks, hylas and novica.

Made a ninja fox girl.

https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/839011/

Very dynamic, love the pose!

• @Ruris If you have not already, I would recommend you take a look at the tutorials on thinkdrawart.com. Particularly the post work ones, I think those would compliment your artistic style.
     You are creating some excellent work with a very appealing anime style, great images!

edited August 2019

Watching some video comparison on wide angle 24mm and prime lens 85-105mm and tried to recreate it on DS.

Wide angle if you want to put importance on the place. Prime lens if you want to put importance on your model. Mm...

Post edited by Chohole on

Alright, my best work so far. Color tuning is so much better when the surrounding doesnt reflect too much colors (brown, red , etc).

I've been on a very OCD path to get a soft, but also sharp look in renders (yes, a paradox) but some of the promo artist manage to pull it off. Its a long story, but if you like to achieve similar results and also a starting newbie like me, please let me know. I will write more about it.

Made this as a photo study for DOF effect.

Based on the great artist shibashake, who's art always have some super nice props and color tuning. Still has much to learn, but at least the results are showing bit by bits.

A girl and her dragon (youtube link on the img)

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,833

Great work and I like your composition and lighting of the scenes.

Click on image for the tutorial. Thanks for watching.

Love the shibashake-inspired one!

edited September 2019
    Ruris said:

Click on image for the tutorial. Thanks for watching.

Very nice work and cool tutorial:

Post edited by Artini on

Just looked at your other tutorials - excellent work. Thanks for sharing.

Artini said:

Just looked at your other tutorials - excellent work. Thanks for sharing.

Hi, thanks for the support. Let me know if you need something you would like to be covered.

edited June 2022

Post edited by Ruris on

Made this for the october challenge, didnt post it up though. 

If you're struggling in creating art or in life in general, and everyone just expecting some kind of perfect work out of you, that's all BS. Don't let it get to you. 

edited June 2022

Post edited by Ruris on
    edited January 2020

Most important skill I learned is to remove/separate techniques which are super expensive to perform, such as godrays or any kind of environmental effect (rain/snow). 

When these techniques are rendered together with your model, it will take super long to get a clean image. But when rendered separately, the graininess is fine as it doesnt affect the model. 

Here's the individual component to perform the scenario above:

a) photoshop layering (must!)

b) canvas render using alpha layer (you need to know those selection tricks)

c) process to do it in a clean flow

You can even just use a) and blend in any effect you want for a quick dusty look. 

My advice for 2020, write down a list of skills you want to improve on. Even if you can only move 10% in 5 areas, that will accumulate quite fast.

Post edited by Chohole on

Been 3 months since I have created anything. Time to get back some creative juice.

edited June 2022

Post edited by Ruris on