Basic suite UV fix

Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,045
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Has this been seen to yet? The supersuite has been out for a while now.

Comments

• RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,799
    edited July 2012

There's something wrong with the Basic Suit from the Supersuit product? :ohh:

Post edited by RCDeschene on
  • Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,045
    edited July 2012

Yes. The uv maps overlap/share material zones so it is impossible to create textures for it. Its a real pitty because its perfect for tights and pantyhose since it sits tight on genesis and leaves no gaps between like you see on other conforming items. However you cannot create maps for it since the uv's are messed up.

Post edited by Zev0 on
    edited July 2012

Oh my God! I couldn't agree with you more! Something I've been looking for the longest time was male hosiery, especially for Hiro!

You may or may not have seen me mention before that I have a fellow Anime friend who dances and she and I are always looking for items we can recreate certain ballet story plots (kind of like with Princess Tutu) for an RPG story we're working on together. There are some really nice classical performance outfits for Victoria and such, but the ONLY thing I am able to find as far as males go is maybe Ode for Hiro for H3 and Pretty In Pink for the Gen 4 guys. :lol:

So yes, The Basic Suit is by far the best thing out there for self-customizable costumes and such that involve realistically fitting tights for both genders. :)

edited December 1969

lol yep. I have a whole bunch of designs just pending...I hope they fix this soon. For now all I'm doing is using a basic shader, and setting the opacity a little low so some skin shows through..

edited December 1969

Yeah, I was about to ask you, aside from the obvious opacity settings, how to you Diffuse and Specular your black and white tights? In dance classes the common standard for student dancers are boys wearing white tops and black opaque tights while the girls wear their black or pink leotards with off-white tights that are more sheer. Sometimes I light to give the tights, especially the darker ones a bit of a Specular, but when I do that, they just look like dull latex...

edited December 1969

Make the specular colour white, and turn up the sharpness to your liking. Also play around with the gloss settings. That also impacts how the specular appears. And most importantly create a light and set the illumination to specular only. Make sure it shines at the right angle. Without a specular light the specular wont be as affective.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

I just reset my download for the Supersuit and it appears to be version 1.0 still. I think this means that it hasn't been updated since the initial release. Hope they update it; there are issues with some of the presets too (one of the preset suit shapes is crotchless!)

edited December 1969

Zev0 said:
    Make the specular colour white, and turn up the sharpness to your liking. Also play around with the gloss settings. That also impacts how the specular appears. And most importantly create a light and set the illumination to specular only. Make sure it shines at the right angle. Without a specular light the specular wont be as affective.

Interesting. I figured I would have to play with the Glossiness value, but what Specular value and light do you suggest I use? I tried a Distant Light but that just made the tights a dark gray color.
    edited July 2012

I normally use a spotlight for specular. Also to get the right angle of specular, view your scene through the specualr spot light. Specular is at full on suite as well. Adjust the intensity on the light to your lighting. But it wont really help if the basic suite is too transparent.

Post edited by Zev0 on
    edited December 1969

I see, well, here's a couple of renders I tried out with an UberEnvoirnment2 Base that I played around with from the method I picked up...

Tights_Boy_1.png
    638 x 696 - 372K
    Tights_Man_2.jpg
    638 x 696 - 137K
    edited December 1969

Very NICE:) What works well also is the shaders from the supersuit. EG plastic or metal. Remove the texture so you just have the shader and tweak from there. Sometimes I also change to "skin". gives a nice edge shine. Will post some renders when I have time:) I really love your black tights example. Came out well.

edited July 2012

Zev0 said:
    Very NICE:) What works well also is the shaders from the supersuit. EG plastic or metal. Remove the texture so you just have the shader and tweak from there. Sometimes I also change to "skin". gives a nice edge shine. Will post some renders when I have time:) I really love your black tights example. Came out well.

Thanks. :) And trust me, I often find myself going for the "Skin" shader type as well.

And yes, the black tights are the better of the two. Now to figure out how to make a convincing pair of white ones. I considered adding some blue to the specular so that it would look like a natural color shading. Also I'm trying dimming the Diffuse of the white itself making it off-white (like most white tights actually are). But other then that, I'm stumped.

edited December 1969

Post a ref pic of the white tights you're trying to achieve. I'll try on my side to get the same look and will post settings if successful.