tips on doing hair fits

assmonkeyassmonkey Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Yeah...as the title says

Anyone know a way to do hair fits (being V4 to Genesis...and not through Auto-fit)

Comments

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,951
    edited December 2013

RamWolf had a tutorial about fitting the hair ..........I'll see if I can find it.

Fudge I think it was in the old forums .........try sending him a PM

Post edited by carrie58 on
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

Easiest way is to load the character and then the hair and parent the hair to the figure. After the hair is fitted you can pose the figure.

If the figure is posed already then the best thing you can do is load up a second copy of that figure and while they are at the center of the scene, fit the hair and then copy the pose from the first figure to the second and parent the hair to the first figure and then delete the second figure.

• assmonkeyassmonkey Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    Easiest way is to load the character and then the hair and parent the hair to the figure. After the hair is fitted you can pose the figure.

....yeah, that's not what I want to do
    edited December 1969

carrie58 said:
    RamWolf had a tutorial about fitting the hair ..........I'll see if I can find it.

Fudge I think it was in the old forums .........try sending him a PM

Was it a tutorial with fitting them through Daz or an external program (a 3-d modeling program)

I don't want to do it in Daz

edited December 1969

RAMWolf's tutorial for fitting Gen4 hair to Genesis ,was for doing it in DS .What program do you want to do the fitting in?

edited December 1969

I want to do in more of an modeling program

but if the method is the same way, I can look at it....I think I saw it a while back when looking for hair modeling tutorials

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

If you have a copy of Poser (P7 or up), take a look at Netherworks Hair Conversion System over at RDNA. The core is free. There are additional modules available for other figures.

All of them are on sale during RDNA's sale.

You can Convert both prop and figure hair. It preserves morphs and you can save the conversion for future use.

edited December 1969

I still want to do it manually...even hair that says id for the Genesis 1 figure...still don't fit on my people

They fit...but when they do, hair bends in weird ways...like it was auto-fitted in a bad way

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

Is the hair a figure? If it is, then auto follow may be causing issues. Anyone know if there's a way to turn off auto fit and/or auto follow?

edited December 1969

...no, it was hair MADE for Genesis, and it still looks awful when it fits to my Genesis character

it looks like it was auto-fited (it's not) but auto-fited hair looks awful

edited December 1969

Do your figures have any morphs on the ears sometimes that'll make the hair act screwy,then you go to the hair morphs and just dial out the morphs that are makeing the hair go wonky.......oh and sometimes the morphs are hidden so you have to unhide them to find them .......

edited December 1969

ear area hasn't been an issue for me

it's more when the hair frames the face

edited December 2013

Okay so it could still be facial morphs for emotions/expressions that might be affecting the hair ........in fact could you do a screenshot or a render just of the head and hair to show what it's doing??and what hair are you using?? I could see if I've got it and see what issues I have with it on Genesis .....

Post edited by carrie58 on
    edited December 1969

I can't, not since I accidentally deleted the files

And I know it' not a Genesis issue,

I'll ask the person I'm working with

thanks for the help anyway

• TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,251
    edited December 1969

What I usually do is load the person and do whatever morphs I'm planning. I put it in the default T pose, then load the hair I want to use.

I make all of the hair except for the skull cap or base invisible.

Then I adjust the Y parameters to where it will roughly fit the head, parent it and apply a smoothing modifier. I set the collision to 10.

The I adjust the scale of the hair, using the individual X Y & Z scale dials and whatever built in morphs the hair may have until I think it looks decent.

Then I apply whatever mat pose I want for the hair and continue.

It doesn't work 100% of the time, but with a little patience I find I can get most hair to work and look ok.

• Dirty ChandelierDirty Chandelier Posts: 3
    edited December 1969

TimG said:
    What I usually do is load the person and do whatever morphs I'm planning. I put it in the default T pose, then load the hair I want to use.

I make all of the hair except for the skull cap or base invisible.

Then I adjust the Y parameters to where it will roughly fit the head, parent it and apply a smoothing modifier. I set the collision to 10.

The I adjust the scale of the hair, using the individual X Y & Z scale dials and whatever built in morphs the hair may have until I think it looks decent.

Then I apply whatever mat pose I want for the hair and continue.

It doesn't work 100% of the time, but with a little patience I find I can get most hair to work and look ok.

It worked for me pretty well. I just needed to know which controls and how to parent.

The thing is, I don't want to have to keep posing the hair on my character's preset every time I load her. Is there a way I can save the hair prop?