Carrara Reset!

PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I opened up Carrara last night and something strange had happened - it had completely reset everything! Preferences were reset to default, it had forgotten my content locations, everything.

Has anyone else had this, or anyone know why this may have happened? It is very irritating, I can tell you!

Comments

• PGrePGre Posts: 95
    edited December 1969

Weird. The only thing I noticed was that my browser/sequencer tray was not where I left it. (on my second monitor)

P

• FractalDimensiaFractalDimensia Posts: 0
    edited December 2013

PhilW said:
    I opened up Carrara last night and something strange had happened - it had completely reset everything! Preferences were reset to default, it had forgotten my content locations, everything.

Has anyone else had this, or anyone know why this may have happened? It is very irritating, I can tell you!

Phil, sorry to hear this happened to you. I can't even imagine trying to reset all my preferences and settings. :-S

It is possible one of the files Carrara uses got corrupted. If you have not done so in a while, just as a precaution, you might run a thorough check of your hard drive(s), including checking the physical surface and all file pointers.

This does make me wonder if anyone knows what files Carrara maintains that holds all of this information. It might be useful to do periodic backups of such files in case this happens.

Post edited by FractalDimensia on
  • Design AcrobatDesign Acrobat Posts: 459
    edited December 1969

PhilW said:

Perhaps you have a software that looks for malware or some sort of cleaning system software that saw your preferences as a threat because it compared default preferences to the current one?

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited December 1969

All good advice, thank you. I do use anti-virus software but I doubt that is the cause. I use Carrara most days, and have never had this happen before.

• argus1000argus1000 Posts: 701
    edited December 1969

PhilW said:

It happened to me more than once.

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 2013

PhilW said:

Phil, sorry to hear this happened to you. I can't even imagine trying to reset all my preferences and settings. :-S

It is possible one of the files Carrara uses got corrupted. If you have not done so in a while, just as a precaution, you might run a thorough check of your hard drive(s), including checking the physical surface and all file pointers.

This does make me wonder if anyone knows what files Carrara maintains that holds all of this information. It might be useful to do periodic backups of such files in case this happens.

It could be here: C/Users/You/AppData/Roaming/DAZ3D/Carrara8/ and the text file "Preferences.txt"...

Post edited by DUDU on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

The only time I ever had issues was if I had HD issues. It's more of a symptom of HD problems than a fault with Carrara I think.

edited December 1969

The only time I ever had issues was if I had HD issues. It's more of a symptom of HD problems than a fault with Carrara I think.

Not sure! If the text file of the preferences is rewritten with each closing of Carrara…

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

I had it happen way back in C5, and it coincided with a kernel panic caused by a short in my keyboard when water was spilled on it. The wife had a little lecture about leaving a partial glass of water next to the keyboard after that. ;-)

A kernel panic is the Mac OS X equivalent of a Windows BSOD.

edited December 1969

PhilW said:

It could be here: C/Users/You/AppData/Roaming/DAZ3D/Carrara8/ and the text file "Preferences.txt"...

I made the test to change some parameters in the preferences then closed Carrara, I then replaced the niew text file “Preference.txt” by a safeguard and I recovered my old preferences as of the opening of Carrara.
    Some programs propose a recording of the preferences, perhaps in C9?