Gpu overclock issues

I have an Asus 1050ti cerberus. I have overclocked it. it is stable and runs 3d mark about 15% better than without the OC.

However when I render with the OC it goes straight to cpu.

Any Ideas?

Comments

• kenshaw011267kenshaw011267 Posts: 3,805

your scene might to be too big for the card. Which 1050ti do you have? the 2Gb or 4Gb version? 

You also beed to check that DS is set to use the card. Open the advanced tab of render settings and mark sure the card is selected.

To see if the card is working at all in DS you should rendering a primitive with a single shader applied.

• droidy001droidy001 Posts: 277

your scene might to be too big for the card. Which 1050ti do you have? the 2Gb or 4Gb version? 

You also beed to check that DS is set to use the card. Open the advanced tab of render settings and mark sure the card is selected.

To see if the card is working at all in DS you should rendering a primitive with a single shader applied.

I tried a small scene to test the OC. Renders fine at stock. It's only when i Oc it goes to cpu.

droidy001 said:

I tried a small scene to test the OC. Renders fine at stock. It's only when i Oc it goes to cpu.

That is a very odd situation. Have you done a stress test, Furmark, on the GPU with the OC? Rendering on a 1050ti will be a lot like running Furmark. I wouldn't be shocked if you're having a sudden performance drop due to overheating and that is messing with the render engine.

That is a very odd situation. Have you done a stress test, Furmark, on the GPU with the OC? Rendering on a 1050ti will be a lot like running Furmark. I wouldn't be shocked if you're having a sudden performance drop due to overheating and that is messing with the render engine.

I've run 3dmark Time Spy. Runs fine, getting over 300 points on top of stock. Considering stock is around 2000, thats not too bad. Max temp 57c

I'l give the furry donut a try.

Time Spy is a gaming test. It doesn't stress a GPU like rendering does.

edited July 2019

Time Spy is a gaming test. It doesn't stress a GPU like rendering does.

I ran furmark, lasted just over 5 mins with a max temp of 64c Dialled it back a bit and upped the fan speed and got it running. Went to daz. Although it sets up the render showing gpu, just before it starts it goes to CPU. It's not even putting any stress on the gpu before switching to CPU. It isn't a big issue. My biggest renders so far have been around 2 hours. With a good overclock it would maybe save about 15-20 mins. I'm just really curious now. Think I'll have to start at slightly above stock and take it from there.
    Post edited by droidy001 on

Forget furmark for stress testing. Daz is a killer.

I found a level Daz can work with. It shaved about 2 mins off a test render that took 15 mins on stock.

I think the biggest problem is the low power delivery on a 1050ti, I wasn't even aware you could OC one very far. 1050ti's don't have PCIE power connectors so they're limited to 75W of power which is what Nvidia list their power draw as, I'm sure its lower but how much I couldn't find.