2080TI + 970?

asdf123asdf123 Posts: 167
Waiting on my new build to arrive. It has a 2080TI. I have a GTX 970 from my old build. Would I see any gains by adding the 970 to one of the open slots?

Comments

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

Yes, additional cards will add; but is it worth it?

I use a 970 to drive my monitors; I almost never use it to render with (980ti), as I don't consider the extra noise worth it. Consider that the extra noise indicats a lot more heat.

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679
    The 970 will run along with the 2080ti as long as the scene fits inside its 4gb VRAM. So for small scenes, you can totally use it, but for anything larger than 4gb, it will not do anything.

You can use the 970 to drive the monitor like suggested, however there is a little known downside if place the 970 in the first GPU slot...dforce only runs on the GPU that is in the first slot on the motherboard. So if you leave the 970 in the first slot you can only use the 970 for dforce! So if you wish to use the 970 to drive the monitor, you still need to swap the cards so the better card is in slot 1 for faster dforce simulations.

I doubt heat will be an issue, unless your case just plain sucks. As long as you have good airflow you are fine with 2 cards. I would highly advise using something to monitor them and control the fans better, like MSI Afterburner.