Problems with Midnight Stories' Griffin Wings

I have purchased DAZ Big Cat 2, Griffin Wings, and Griffin Wings for DAZ Big Cat 2 but when I try to render big cats with wings the wing arms are not coming out correctly. They look okay in the viewport before rendering but when I render I am seeing large black bars.

I'm still new, but I knew enough to look at the surface tab and checked the WingArm and saw that the "DiffuseColor" and "Bump Strength" fields are using the texture .jpg for the Big Cat's body (example: DBC_lion_body_M.jpg) which I see has a black background around the actual skin area. Am I doing something wrong that when it renders it is using parts of that .jpg that it shouldn't be? Or is it pointing to the wrong file and I need to change that?

Any help is greatly appreciated because none of the wings are coming out correctly.

GriffinWingRender.jpg
769 x 418 - 109K

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,815
    edited July 2019

How do they render if you remove the maps entirely?

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • It comes out as a super bright, plain white.

I tried removing the "DiffuseColor" .jpg and it goes white. I then put that back on and removed the "Bump Strength" .jpg and it looked like the photo I attached originally, so I'm not certain if that one is actually doing anything. I then removed both maps and it stayed the plain white. It seems the "Diffuse Color" .jpg is doing all the heavy lifting. I'm not sure what "Bump Strength" is for here.

• Hmmm. I just gave it a shot rendering in 3Delight and the WingArm comes out alright now. I typically prefer lray rendering though. I guess my question needs to change now ... any idea how to get it to render correctly with lray? lol

Or why it renders correctly in 3Delight and not lray? I don't see anything noted on the store page for Griffin Wings for DAZ Big Cat 2.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,139

I've seen this problem (or rather, a similar one) before: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/248651/griffin-wings-for-daz-horse-2-iray-problem-solved

Maybe the same solution will work?

edited July 2019

PS: The Griffin Wings pre-date the Iray renderer, which is why they work fine in 3Delight - Midnight Stories posted in that thread what the difference was for Iray.

Post edited by MelanieL on
  • I think the materials will be set up for 3Delight. If you look at top-right of the Editor tab in the Surfaces pane what shder does it say is being used for the problem area?

I just realised that I have the Big Cat 2 Griffin Wings, so I tried the "UVFix.zip" that Midnight Stories posted in the thread I mentioned. Here's a very quick render of the Jaguar with Griffin Wings in Iray without the fix and with it - it seems to work. (Excuse the scrappy noisy renders, it was just to test the concept)

Big-Cat-Griffin-Wing-Problem.jpg
    768 x 1024 - 292K
    Big-Cat-Griffin-Wing-MidnightStories-Fix.jpg
    768 x 1024 - 278K
  • That file worked like a charm -- thanks! I didn't think to try searching the forum for the horse wings.