6 cores

reserv888reserv888 Posts: 1,129
edited December 1969 in New Users

I am about to purchase a new computer system.
The processor I am considering for this is:
Intel Core i7-4930K, Socket-LGA2011, 6-Core, 3.4GHz, 12MB, 130W, Ivy Bridge-E,

Will Daz Studio use six cores?
Will Bryce use six cores?

Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,481
    edited December 2013

Yes you can use a 6 Core on both those apps. Its RAM that is different. DS 64 bit will see 64GB of RAM, Bryce will only see 2 GB of RAM cause its only 32bit

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

If you die, can I have your six-core?

On an unrelated note, does this taste like almonds to you?

• reserv888reserv888 Posts: 1,129
    edited December 1969

@Frank
    Thx for your fast reply.

@SickleYield
    LOL. I will also make a note to never eat your cookies if our paths should cross. :)

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

reserv888 said:
    @Frank
    Thx for your fast reply.

@SickleYield
    LOL. I will also make a note to never eat your cookies if our paths should cross. :)

Curses! Foiled again!

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,505
    edited December 2013

In fact it* will use all 12 virtual cores, which isn't quite the equal of 12 real cores but is (based on my experience with a quad core i7) probably going to be about as powerful as 8 or 9 real cores.

* most of DS is single thread, but 3Delight rendering is the slowest part and that will use them all.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • TotteTotte Posts: 13,595
    edited December 1969

reserv888 said:
    I am about to purchase a new computer system.
    The processor I am considering for this is:
    Intel Core i7-4930K, Socket-LGA2011, 6-Core, 3.4GHz, 12MB, 130W, Ivy Bridge-E,

Will Daz Studio use six cores?
    Will Bryce use six cores?

I have a Dual 6-Core machine, that is 12 cores, 24 virtual hyperthread cores, all used when rendering. Now i7 is not as good at running all core and all hyperthreads at full speed as Xeon is, but you will use as much as the CPU will allow (the i7 will slow down the virtual cores at too much load to avoid overheating, the main difference between i7 and Xeon).

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,334
    edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    Yes you can use a 6 Core on both those apps. Its RAM that is different. DS 64 bit will see 64GB of RAM, Bryce will only see 2 GB of RAM cause its only 32bit

Bryce can handle only 2GB? A 32 bit processor should be able to handle 4GB. Is Bryce even more restricted than that?

edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:

Bryce can handle only 2GB? A 32 bit processor should be able to handle 4GB. Is Bryce even more restricted than that?

A 32 bit program has only 32 bit address space from -2147483647 to 2147483647 and as memory addresses are possitive the limit is 2GB.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:

Bryce can handle only 2GB? A 32 bit processor should be able to handle 4GB. Is Bryce even more restricted than that?Not all of the memory can be seen because the system can only address so much. Remember, thats 4Gb total memory, which includes anything on your graphics card as well. With a 1Gb graphics card, your 32-bit system is only seeing 3Gb of RAM and 1Gb of VRAM. Now factor in your Windows operating system which will likely eat up a nice chunk of that memory (My PC takes about 1Gb when it's largely idle and is currently using 2.6Gb with just my web browser and background applications) and you get roughly 2Gb if you're lucky.

It will vary a lot depending on what your hardware is and what version of Windows you're running, but 2Gb is a pretty safe estimate.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Totte said:
    Frank0314 said:

A 32 bit program has only 32 bit address space from -2147483647 to 2147483647 and as memory addresses are possitive the limit is 2GB.

Bryce can utilise more ram if it is made LAA. The same is true of many 32bit programs. It is quite simple to make Bryce LAA

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Totte said:
    Frank0314 said:

Bryce can utilise more ram if it is made LAA. The same is true of many 32bit programs. It is quite simple to make Bryce LAA

You still bumps at 4GB. It depends on how the code is written too and how memory addressing is done, But if you have tested it then I wont argue. (I cant test as Bryce still fails more or less predictably on OS X > 10.6

edited December 1969

Totte said:
    chohole said:
    Totte said:
    Frank0314 said:

You still bumps at 4GB. It depends on how the code is written too and how memory addressing is done, But if you have tested it then I wont argue. (I cant test as Bryce still fails more or less predictably on OS X > 10.6

Yes that is very unfortunate. Bryce runs well on 10.6 but the newer OS Xs do not support it.

LAA I agree won't push past 4GB, but the extra can be quite useful

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/large-address-aware.112556/

edited December 1969

Thank you all for your valuable input. I appreciate it a lot.
    Your answers helped me to finaly reach a decision so
    I have now ordered the new computer system.
    Looking forward to it... A lot!

Another rookie question: How do you make Bryce LAA?

edited December 1969

reserv888 said:
    Thank you all for your valuable input. I appreciate it a lot.
    Your answers helped me to finaly reach a decision so
    I have now ordered the new computer system.
    Looking forward to it... A lot!

Another rookie question: How do you make Bryce LAA?

Check the link I posted in my previous post. If you have any problems doing it come over to the Bryce forum and talk to someone over there who can help you. Horo probably.

• mark128mark128 Posts: 1,029
    edited December 1969

Totte said:

I have a Dual 6-Core machine, that is 12 cores, 24 virtual hyperthread cores, all used when rendering. Now i7 is not as good at running all core and all hyperthreads at full speed as Xeon is, but you will use as much as the CPU will allow (the i7 will slow down the virtual cores at too much load to avoid overheating, the main difference between i7 and Xeon).

I wondering if this explains why the stand alone 3Delight is almost as fast as the DS 3Delight version that uses all virtual cores on my 4 core (8 virtual core) I7 system The stand alone 3Delight is now limited to using 4 virtual cores. On my system you would think that would mean the renders would take twice as long, but they do not. The renders are only slightly longer, hardly noticeable. Maybe when using all the virtual cores the cores,, they slow down significantly. When limited to 4 virtual cores, the cores they do not slow down as much.

edited December 1969

Thank you chohole. I missed the link when I read your post the first time.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

mark128 said:
    Totte said:

I wondering if this explains why the stand alone 3Delight is almost as fast as the DS 3Delight version that uses all virtual cores on my 4 core (8 virtual core) I7 system The stand alone 3Delight is now limited to using 4 virtual cores. On my system you would think that would mean the renders would take twice as long, but they do not. The renders are only slightly longer, hardly noticeable. Maybe when using all the virtual cores the cores,, they slow down significantly. When limited to 4 virtual cores, the cores they do not slow down as much.The only way to get full speed from a Hyper-threaded CPU when all cores are running at max limits is to keep the CPU at the STABLE default temperature. That can only be achieved with liquid cooling. For Any that will invest in a Hex core I strongly suggest looking into it.
  • prixatprixat Posts: 1,587
    edited December 1969

mark128 said:
    I wondering if this explains why the stand alone 3Delight is almost as fast as the DS 3Delight version that uses all virtual cores on my 4 core (8 virtual core) I7 system The stand alone 3Delight is now limited to using 4 virtual cores. On my system you would think that would mean the renders would take twice as long, but they do not. The renders are only slightly longer, hardly noticeable. Maybe when using all the virtual cores the cores,, they slow down significantly. When limited to 4 virtual cores, the cores they do not slow down as much.

That's because there's a big difference between real cores and their hyperthreaded, virtual ones.
    The 4 virtual cores don't double your processing power. Think of Hyperthreading being about efficiency.
    Most programs gain between 5% and 20% with hyperthreading.
    The most scaleable programs have achieved about 30% at best, that's about the same as having a fifth real core.

As far as I know Win7 schedules threads to the 4 real cores first. (Though I couldn't find that officially stated by Intel or Microsoft!)
    Which means 3Delight is only missing out on that efficiency gain.