Can Generation 4 be converted to use with Generation 5?

dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333
edited December 1969 in New Users

I've been using DAZ for a couple of weeks now.

I purchased Michael and Victoria 5, plus the Genesis Evolution morphs. I've been doing quite a bit of morphing to customize my characters. I love being able to exchange the morphs back and forth between types (including Freak 5). I also purchased Genesis Shape of a Figure, which so far works with M5/V5.

Some bundles I purchased included M4/V4 clothing, items, poses, skins.

Is there any converter or way to convert the M4/V4 items for use with M5/V5 (or 6 for that matter?) Does the FIT TO converter work between generations?

I can load poses and don't mind tweaking them to work, but I can't get any M4/V4 skins or hair to load on my M5/V5 characters.

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

All Genesis can Auto Fit V4 and M4 clothing, shoes will not work well but most other items do. All genesis figures (V5 and M5) can use V4 and M4 textures right out of the box. You just need to set them to the proper UV in the Surfaces Tab. Select the figure in Scene Tab then In the Surfaces Tab use the UV drop down to set to V4 or M4.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

I haven't had autofit work quite as well as Jaderail, unfortunately. While I have only tried using a small fraction of my generation 4 and 3 items, it seems that for the ones I have tried, mostly gen4 clothing, usually autofit hasn't worked for the following kinds of things:
    shoes (they get all crinkly, it's not always immediately obvious. But if they are solid, you might still be able to hide the feet and just parent them to the feet).
    tops for female characters (breasts get shrink-wrapped. There are a few products and things you can do that might work as workarounds in some cases. If the clothing is supposed to be a tight fit, or if you can use a dark material where you can't see the shadows in the problem areas, that might work better. Also, a number simply had pokethrough after autofit, although the usual pokethrough workarounds could be used to fix that perhaps.)
    long dresses and robes (texture is messed up in a line near the middle extending up from the bottom, and sometimes the bottom is all crinkled.)
    I also had a few other issues that I haven't tried a bunch of products with yet to see if they are one-offs or systematic, but I've had black polygons in pants crotch and in some scarf or hood (and that scarf/hood was also distorted in the neck area).

I feel it would be wisest to consider autofit something worth trying if you already have the products and figures, or can get confirmation from somebody else that combination works, but not something to blindly depend on to purchase clothing only to use for a figure for which it was not originally intended.

Most generation 4 textures I tried worked great after the adjustment Jaderail describes, except a tiny number of ?eye?nail?-related materials.

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the explanation - I was able to load the skin for Kay (V4) onto V5.

However, now I have some places where the skin doesn't cover the model completely. How do I adjust for that?

edited December 1969

Thanks Sean. As I stated earlier, these are textures which I already own. They were part of some bundles and other goodies I picked up durng Black Friday/Cyber Monday. I'd like to fiddle around to see if I can use them.

But I am wiser now, and will purchase items specifically for M5/V5 or Genesis. Thanks!

edited December 2013

I'm at a loss again, Kay should load just fine on V5, Can you post a covered with bikini shot of what you mean?

As for Atofit being dodgy I did mention shoes, and there are optional items like Pokeaway, Breast fixes and other items to Fix most of what Sean mentions. As a long time Gen4 collector I invested in many fixes just so I could move up to the new figures. Also the Autofit tool does get better with every new build of DAZ Studio Full.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Make sure that all th surfaces are set for the V4 UVset rather than V5

edited December 1969

I'm not sure where all the pokethrough discussion threads went. Search the forums for "pokethrough" to get a few. http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/27630/ for a few quick suggestions, but there's more detail somewhere else, just can't remember where.
    Here is an autofit thread, including links to several autofit fixer items: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/20361/#308875

edited December 1969

Is it possible that when you changed the "UV Set" dropdown to the figure you wanted to convert from (M4 or V4), you had just one surface selected instead of all surfaces (Genesis, at the top of the list) selected, so it didn't change whatever part(s) of the figure you were looking at?

edited December 1969

Let me list the steps I followed:
    1. Loaded Victoria 5.
    2. Selected Genesis in the Scene tab.
    3. Selected Genesis in the Surfaces tab.
    4. Changed UV to Victoria 4.
    5. Opened Content Library and loaded the Kay skin.

See attached screen prints.

V4_to_M5_Problem_4.jpg
    439 x 248 - 32K
    V4_to_M5_Problem_3.jpg
    223 x 376 - 16K
    V4_to_M5_Problem_2.jpg
    252 x 617 - 30K
    V4_to_M5_Problem_1.jpg
    236 x 657 - 31K
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

dracorn said:
    Let me list the steps I followed:
    1. Loaded Victoria 5.
    2. Selected Genesis in the Scene tab.
    3. Selected Genesis in the Surfaces tab.
    4. Changed UV to Victoria 4.
    5. Opened Content Library and loaded the Kay skin.

See attached screen prints.

Are you sure you're applying the right preset in step 5? What you show in your images is what it looks like after step 4, when it still has the V5 mats but with UVset V4. After I apply the Kay skin it looks fine.

edited December 1969

I may not have loaded the right one - there are so many. I will need to give it a try tomorrow. I have to get to bed early because I get up at 3:30 a.m. to go to work. Yuck!

edited December 2013

reverse steps 4 and 5. If you set the material's UV parameter to something, then load the material, you are erasing what you just set.

Post edited by sriesch on
    edited December 1969

LOL!! Kay was on sale so I bought it to test. Well It's a nice texture. Nothing lost.

edited December 1969

Reversing the order did the trick! After I loaded the materials, I set the UV to Victoria 4, and the skin looks good. Thanks so much!