Easy Way to "Zero" Expression?

Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,379
edited July 2019 in The Commons

This has bothered me for a couple of years, but is there really no easy way to "zero" only the character's expression?

I've found poses that easily reset the character's body pose to zero, but expression which are supposed to do the same really only work about 1/3rd of the time.

Am I missing something? Thanks!

Post edited by Leonides02 on

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,816

This has bothered me for a couple of years, but is there really no easy way to "zero" only the character's expression?

I've found poses that easily reset the character's body to zero, but expression which are supposed to do the same really only work about 1/3rd of the time.

Am I missing something? Thanks!

Some PA’s dial in bits of expressions for their characters which irks me no end trying to animate them

• Noah LGPNoah LGP Posts: 2,557
    edited July 2019

Select the head and press Ctrl E keys

It will also reset the position but you can still locked the 3 axis.

If the expression isn't head dials, you must expand the head and select all the children (eyes, mouth, ...)

Post edited by Noah LGP on
  • HavosHavos Posts: 5,306
    Noah LGP said:

If the expression isn't head dials, you must expand the head and select all the children (eyes, mouth, ...)

This works well, and also dials out expression Pose Controls set on the Head. It will however not dial out expressions dials set at the actor level (eg Unique Smiles products for G8)

• Syrus_DanteSyrus_Dante Posts: 983

So Ctrl+E is by default Reset Figure Pose? You could save a partial Pose Preset that includs every Expresssion set/product you currently own.

Just load the figure, make shure everything is set to zero Edit>Figure>Zero Figure. Go to the Content Library, select a content folder, press the pluss icon at the bottom, select Pose Preset. In the Pose Preset Save Options Dialog in the Properties list select/check only Pose Controls>Head exclude the eyes if you like. Press save and apply this pose everytime you need to reset all the expressions this figure has. If you purchase a new expression set you would need to repeate saving the partial Pose Preset.

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,259

I use DAZ Studio>Edit>Figure>Zero Selected Object after selecting the head....

• Saxa -- SDSaxa -- SD Posts: 871

Make your own one-click dufs.

Make sure your loaded character has no facial moprhs applied, then save pose, and when you save pose, limit your selection of bodyparts that you want.  Would mean you need to familarize yourself with where all the various expression morphs are located in the parameters tab, and you include those in the save-pose.   Great for zero upper face or lower face etc.  But a bit more work upfront to figure out what each author did.

• Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,379
    Noah LGP said:

Thanks, Noah (and everytone). I know this method, it's just a pain! I was hoping there was a "one-click" solution for a seemingly basic function.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    nemesis10 said:

The same function (and all the other zeros) can also be found on the Parameters tab Options menu. That's what I always use because I'm used to it. It's nice to have options — and sometimes it seems D|S is nothing but options...

• retiretomauiretiretomaui Posts: 383

I just go to Poses, select Files, then do a search for, "Zero." Eventually, you'll find one that zeroes out the expression. Make sure to select your character so you get a Zero expression for the right generation of character. 

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

Expression products usually have a one-click zero expression button. I just picked one of those and added it to the scripts menu as a custom action for easy accessibility. Each figure has their own submenu on my scripts menu to keep them straight and make it easier to find the custom actions for the figure I'm working with. If you don't have any expression packages with a zero button, you could make your own zero button as mentioned above and then add it to the menu for easier access.

• nemesis10 said:

This has worked for me 100% so far.

• Noah LGP said:

THANK YOU!