WIP Sci-Fi Starship Bridge

Comments

• SBibbSBibb Posts: 596

Admittedly, I liked the grid before, but the glass plates really make it pop. Very nice!

• wizard1200wizard1200 Posts: 239
    edited July 2019

Perhaps it would be better to remove the glass plates at the sides of the chair, because they make the area a little cramped.

Developing other Starship products should be less time consuming, because you could use the design of the Starship Bridge as the base:

Corridor: It could basically look like the Starship Bridge, but the windows could be at one side and a large door could be at both ends.

Cargo Hold / Shuttle Bay: It could basically look like two mirrored Starship Bridges on top of each other and a large force field could replace the windows.

Post edited by wizard1200 on
  • fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,075

Windows on a Starship don't make any sense. Should be replaced with large displays. A bridge would not likely be anywhere near the outer hull.

• All great ideas. Will put them to good use. thank you all so much. :)

• acharyapolinaacharyapolina Posts: 726
    edited July 2019

So first off I created a meterial preset for the glass sides so you can turn them on and off if you so wish. :) on the starship bridge prop.

Second here are the first renders of the New Sci-Fi Starship Briefing Room. :)

Briefing Room.jpg
    720 x 480 - 94K
    Briefing Room2.jpg
    720 x 480 - 94K
    Post edited by acharyapolina on

The option to hide the glass sides is a very good idea and your Starship Briefing Room looks already very nice.

Are you planning to release a complete starship set?

• DripDrip Posts: 1,153

What kind of ship is this going to be? The flat vertical windows give a bit of an industrial impression, like a mining vessel or something like that.

They wrote down some stuff about the design language of ship interiors at RSI for that Star Citizen game they're developing. It's not all made public (not that they don't want to, but they have too much stuff they could explain, to release all of it), but the pieces they did discuss made a lot of sense.

• DripDrip Posts: 1,153
    fastbike1 said:

Windows on a Starship don't make any sense. Should be replaced with large displays. A bridge would not likely be anywhere near the outer hull.

That wouldn't be much fun. A windowless bridge might as well be some planetside research station then :(

Besides, even modern warships tend to have a bridge near the outer hull. And another one deeper inside the vessel (or more, I bet carriers have 3-6 rooms designated for use as a bridge spread across the ship). Outside war situations and excercises, the outer bridge is generally the one used most, even if it's technically obsolete.

• So first off I created a meterial preset for the glass sides so you can turn them on and off if you so wish. :)

Second here are the first renders of the New Sci-Fi Starship Briefing Room. :)

The option to hide the glass sides is a very good idea and your Starship Briefing Room looks already very nice.

Are you planning to release a complete starship set?

Yes I really liked the idea of creating a whole starship interior set. so it will be five or six prop sets.

• Drip said:

What kind of ship is this going to be? The flat vertical windows give a bit of an industrial impression, like a mining vessel or something like that.

They wrote down some stuff about the design language of ship interiors at RSI for that Star Citizen game they're developing. It's not all made public (not that they don't want to, but they have too much stuff they could explain, to release all of it), but the pieces they did discuss made a lot of sense.

About the kind of starship. I think I was going for something along the lines of a heavy duty fighter or industrial like you said. However you could use it for almost any type you like. :) Also thank you so much for the info. :)

That briefing room looks lovely. I like the added touch of lighting around the table. :-)

And I agree, the lack of windows wouldn't be much fun. That being said, I suspect it would be easy for individual artists to swap out window textures for their own choice of displays.

Though, for added fun... perhaps a "closed panel" texture option for the windows for a battle stations look?

edited July 2019
    SBibb said:

That briefing room looks lovely. I like the added touch of lighting around the table. :-)

And I agree, the lack of windows wouldn't be much fun. That being said, I suspect it would be easy for individual artists to swap out window textures for their own choice of displays.

Though, for added fun... perhaps a "closed panel" texture option for the windows for a battle stations look?

Yes the windows are seperate texture sets so if an artist wanted they could replace them with something else if they wanted. no problum. :)

Good idea about the closed panel. kind of like shudders or something?

Yes I really liked the idea of creating a whole starship interior set. so it will be five or six prop sets.

Cool ... I am looking forward to the other sets. I think the design fits perfectly to the starships of Polish (https://www.daz3d.com/space-battle-fleet-bundle).

• fastbike1 said:

Not sure which SciFi you are watching but Star Wars, Star Trek, OG Battlatar Galactica, Alien,Robotech have the Bridges placed near the outer hulls on most if their ships and outside of Star Trek use windows exclusively....on the New Star Trek the screen seemed to be a combo window with display capabilities. And having served on a Naval vessel, the captain's bridge has windows.
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,410

And having served on a Naval vessel, the captain's bridge has windows.

That's because there's atmosphere and breathable air on the other side of those windows.

• fastbike1 said:

Not sure which SciFi you are watching but Star Wars, Star Trek, OG Battlatar Galactica, Alien,Robotech have the Bridges placed near the outer hulls on most if their ships and outside of Star Trek use windows exclusively....on the New Star Trek the screen seemed to be a combo window with display capabilities. And having served on a Naval vessel, the captain's bridge has windows.

These are my own design. I didnt want to copy to close to star trek or star wars, since there is copyright problums there. so it is all my own stuff based off of star trek and star wars cobinations plus other Sci-Fi concept art pieces I take from the web.

• Yes I really liked the idea of creating a whole starship interior set. so it will be five or six prop sets.

Cool ... I am looking forward to the other sets. I think the design fits perfectly to the starships of Polish (https://www.daz3d.com/space-battle-fleet-bundle).

Yea I think these scene would work well with that starship kit. :)

• Update on the briefing room, I created some celing objects plus two wall screens.

Briefing Room3.jpg
    720 x 480 - 108K
  • So here is one with characters in it.

Main.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 224K
    SBibb said:

Yes the windows are seperate texture sets so if an artist wanted they could replace them with something else if they wanted. no problum. :)

Good idea about the closed panel. kind of like shudders or something?

Cool. And I was thinking like some kind of set of metal panels that would slide down or over the windows to add extra protection in the event of a battle. Sort of like a shield. (Or if you've ever seen Stargate, the iris that covers the front).

Arguably the windows could be made from some sort of strong material that makes the closed panel obsolete... but alternatively it could be a light-blocking shield.

• Good idea. :)

• So here it is with the shutters. It was a great adition to the set. thank you for the idea. :)

Main2.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 230K

So here it is with the shutters. It was a great adition to the set. thank you for the idea. :)

Awesome! I'm glad you liked the suggestion and that it worked out so well. :-)

• So here is the first render of the Sci-Fi Starship Cargo Hold.

More to come soon. :)

Scene.jpg
    1000 x 667 - 266K
  • All doors can onpen and close and there are two different container props to be placed in the area as desired.

edited July 2019

Here is one of the containers up close. And one of the side door.

scene3jpg.jpg
    720 x 480 - 137K
    scene4jpg.jpg
    720 x 480 - 117K
    edited July 2019

The Starship Cargo Hold looks great.

Perhaps you could add a force field to the big window to use the cargo hold as a small shuttle bay and yellow-black markers on the ground as a warning.

• Yea that is a good idea. I'm also thinking of adding a few more objects that be on the ground, just to give it more veriaty. 

edited July 2019

That is a very good idea. Perhaps you could add an optional transporter to teleport the cargo into the bay.

• That is a very good idea. Perhaps you could add an optional transporter to teleport the cargo into the bay.

love it! :)