What is the best way to backUp my files and my categorized item?

edited December 1969 in New Users

I'm planning on changing my OS and i need to make a backup of my files and my categorized items, because i really spent a lot of time categorizing them and it would really really helpful if it's possible to change my windows and save my personal categorizes.

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Anything that you have Categorised yourself is know as user Data, and it can be backed up by using the dropdown menu in the Content Library pane.

Select Content DB Maintenance, then Export User Data, that will save your categories. When you want to reinstall it for any reason, use the same menu, and select Re-Import Metadata, and that will give you the choice to reimport your User Data as well.

• edited December 1969

Thanks a lot,
    but would that work after i change the whole OS

I exported my User-data but i didn't choose where to export them, Hence i don't know where are they back them up in another Hard Drive. Because the current one is going to be formatted and all of its data will be erased.

edited December 1969

My user data is exported to a file called UserData_1.DSX, and it is stored in
    C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library\Runtime\Support.

I can't remember where the database files are either, but you should back them up as well I think.

• edited December 1969

Thanks again Jimmy, but could you please where the database is ?

i searched and i couldn't find it.

i really need this

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

You don't need the database files, all of your customization is saved in UserData. On the new computer just Re-Import metadata to get your UserData back.

edited December 1969

Thanks Mike, I wasn't sure if they would be needed, but it is obvious when I think about it. New blank database files will be created anyway, and running the Metadata update takes in the User Data as well.

Thanks again.

• edited December 1969

OK I'll backup my library folder and try this

thanks