Looking for help with Animation File Sizes & Windows 10

I have been away from animating in Carrara for a while; I’m trying to do test animating of some new ideas but the File sizes are a bit large than what I want. I did an animation that is 9 seconds long at framerate of 24 per second and the small file size I can get is 337 MB as an .Avi file.

I’m hoping someone can help me get them down to a more manageable file size and will work with Windows 10 and maybe Youtube.

Thank you,

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040

Try rendering to an image sequence. If you don't need an alpha channel, you could use .jpg. If you need an alpha channel, you could render to .png. Once the image sequence is rendered, you would use another application to convert it into a video. There should be free options to do this. If the program is any good, it will give you options on which CODEC you can use to encode the video. If you are considering upload to YouTube, they provide information on the best format to upload them.

I'm on a Mac, so I don't know what is available on Windows. If you have access to it, I like the h.264 CODEC. I think YouTube does as well. Try different quality settings to see what gives you the best video for the file size.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040

I was able to use H.264 to get this 17 minute promotional video down to 240 MB. There are some choppy looking frames, but that is due to the source video they gave me. Note there is no 3D animation. I set the bit rate at 1843.61. The dimensions are 720x480. I uses AAC for the audio. I ran a double pass for the encoding. It is slower to render to the video, but the compression quality is better without really having a negative effect on the files size.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/vf2ht901xbbc7md/Owen-Withee Chamber Video.mov?dl=0

I was able to encode this promotional video that I rendered in Carrara in mpeg 4 (which is based on H.264 I believe). It is hi-def at 720 P. The audio is AAC. I set the bit rate at 6568.7 kbits/s. The file size is about 31 MB. I ran a double pass for the encoding.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/prf2zdkf5q3dscg/Haunted Halloween complete-no-fx-web.mov?dl=0

The settings I used were trial and error.