Is this possible? Saving a fully dressed character for future use?

I was wondering if there is a way to save a fully dressed character for future use?  I know how to save a scene but not how to save my own loadable preset that just adds the character with the clothing and hair to a scene.

I do not want to save the preset as a scene but something I can add later to a scene.  Also do I need a blank scene to save this preset.

Also would like to know if I can save a preloaded setting for Cat Girl for GF8 so I can load her up with all her stuff so it will be easier for me?

Comments

• Former DAZ CustomerFormer DAZ Customer Posts: 167
    edited June 2019

I save those as Scene Subsets, then they can be added easily.

Additionally, when saving a Scene Subset, you can pick what objects to include, so if you set your character up in a test area, for example, you can select just the character and child objects.  Or pick and choose.  It's quite flexible. :-)

Post edited by Former DAZ Customer on
  • scene subsets for the win... I have hundreds.
    every character in this is saved as a subset, the buildings and the streetlamps also. 
    In this case they were also all rendered separately* and then put together in photoshop. 
    ---
    the second shot is from one of the scene subsets in a subfolder of my creations. 
    ---

* each character is about 3 gigs ... so large groups are a bit of a challenge

big cat base1 .jpg
    3000 x 1500 - 869K
    base cats folder.jpg
    1604 x 557 - 608K
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,703

How do I create a new thumbnail for a user created file?  I know I can replace the png thumbnail but is there a way to do that in DS?  When I saved the file it did a bad thumbnail.

• How do I create a new thumbnail for a user created file?  I know I can replace the png thumbnail but is there a way to do that in DS?  When I saved the file it did a bad thumbnail.

You can try resaving.

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744

If you want it to look really nice, you can also just do a quick render (91 x 91 pixels, square) and replace the .jpg file that got created automatically for you.

You can also create a 256x256 pixel image for the "hover over" image that pops up when you are scrolling through the library and point at something.

Honestly, quality thumbnails is one of the ways I judge how detail oriented a vendor is. Because it makes their products easier to use. But that's another topic.

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,674

You can go way larger than 256 for the .tip file too, I make all my own icons and .tip files these days, and the tips I make are 1024, bit better to see on my 1080p monitor :)

• TheKD said:

You can go way larger than 256 for the .tip file too, I make all my own icons and .tip files these days, and the tips I make are 1024, bit better to see on my 1080p monitor :)

Daz QA does require 256 pixels, though, if you are thinking of producing a store product.

• WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724

Along with the scene subset option, I can just merge into any scene, I also use Content Gatherer to backup my scenes and characters. Comes in handy for authors who write sequels, especially when you change computers as often as I have.

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,481
    edited July 2019

Just to point out that scene subsets, while easy to do, will just duplicate the character in all of your scenes. So for example if you do a minor modification of the character then you have to reload it in every scene to update it. Also this means the scene files will be large.

For the reasons above when working in animation or comics, or any project that's not small, a better approach is to save as support asset. This will create a new asset, and every scene will just point at it, so when you modify the asset every scene that use it will be updated, and the scene files will be small. Linking instead of embedding is also how things are done in professional applications.

Post edited by Padone on
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited July 2019

I tend to prefer subsets.

I save support assets, but have about ten of those I rarely use, whereas I have hundreds of subsets.

Find a method that suits you. If more than one suits you, then use em all. :)

It's like the difference between a feature and a benefit.

... Amazon is constantly telling me I'm missing out on a prime benefit, namely the music.

To me it's just a feature. I don't use it.

... In other words, use what works for you.

Post edited by nicstt on
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,703

Okay I saved Caryn 8 in diapers as a scene subset.  If I get a new G8F official character, would those morphs be ready in the saved Caryn 8 to be used?  or is there a better way of saving Caryn 8 so that when I get new morphs or characters so the figure will have all the updated morphs?

Padone said:

Just to point out that scene subsets, while easy to do, will just duplicate the character in all of your scenes. So for example if you do a minor modification of the character then you have to reload it in every scene to update it. Also this means the scene files will be large.

For the reasons above when working in animation or comics, or any project that's not small, a better approach is to save as support asset. This will create a new asset, and every scene will just point at it, so when you modify the asset every scene that use it will be updated, and the scene files will be small. Linking instead of embedding is also how things are done in professional applications.

If you have a way to save the full character (including hair and (optionally) clothing) as a Support Asset, I'd love to find out about it! My issue isn't just the morphs and skin of the character, it's that the character also is defined by other attributes than just the settings on the Genesis 8 Female model itself. I could maybe get away with not being so concerned about the clothing, but the character's hairstyle and color is definitely part of how the character is defined.

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,481
    JonnyRay said:

If you have a way to save the full character (including hair and (optionally) clothing) as a Support Asset, I'd love to find out about it!

file > save as > support asset > scene asset

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,846

Okay I saved Caryn 8 in diapers as a scene subset.  If I get a new G8F official character, would those morphs be ready in the saved Caryn 8 to be used?  or is there a better way of saving Caryn 8 so that when I get new morphs or characters so the figure will have all the updated morphs?

That's one of the reasons this system was created, any new morphs you add to a figures "Morphs" folder will automatically show up, doesn't matter if you made a scene, subset or a character preset the day after G8F was released, any new morphs you add today will show up when you load those older DUF files.

Padone said:
    JonnyRay said:

If you have a way to save the full character (including hair and (optionally) clothing) as a Support Asset, I'd love to find out about it!

file > save as > support asset > scene asset

Thank you. :) I've seen that before, but since I didn't know what it was or what the benefit was, I never tried using it.