Lori Hair Conundrum

Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,979
edited June 2019 in The Commons

I recently got the new https://www.daz3d.com/lori-hair-for-genesis-3-and-8-females and I see that it has dforce elements in it.. Now I love the hair and how dforce for it works but I am wanting to use dforce on the braids, the interesting thing is that the braids do have deforce applied, but no matter what I try I can not get them to budge.. 

I am wondering the reason for the braids not moving with dforce, even though they have settings is maybe due to the braids having movement dials, or is it something else.. I am completely stumped by this and any help would be greatly appreciated.. :)

Post edited by Ghosty12 on

Comments

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,333
    edited June 2019

They've almost certainly got a weight map applies or dynamics turned off to stop them from simulating.

It's important to understand that dForce is specifically for cloth simulation; it is not a general purpose physics simulation. The more the simulated object has any inherent shape retention of its own, the less suitable it becomes for the purpose*.
    It's fine for simulating a few loose wisps of hair (and thus the product is designed to use it for shaping the bangs), but I would assume the reason it has been disabled on the braids is because dForce really can't do that kind of thing. If the simulation didn't outright explode, the braids would just collapse into shapeless knots of hair.

* This problem is why a lot of dForce clothing variously has morphs to re-shape seams that have lost their shape in the simulation, or relies on things like displacement maps or HD morphs for those details (as simulation is purely SD). That is if it doesn't just sacrifice such details entirely - a lot of dForce clothing is less detailed.

Post edited by Matt_Castle on
  • Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,979

Ahh k, thank you for the info never knew about why they did it that way, but now that I do it, it does make sense.. :)

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649

Yeah. It's supposed to be dforce hair but nearly nothing moves. I tried to modify most of the surface parameters and define new Weight nodes. But it's impossible to keep the sape and the nice braids become straight long hairs. At the end of the tails there's the rubber band and the tip of the tails. But of course... tails + band + end of tails are : 3 different objects... That's dumb. If the tail was one piece from beginning to end it might have been possible to get some kind of interesting result. Pushing Surface Simulation properties to force the shape to keep their initial form.

So it's basically impossible to make those tails move properly. 

Only "solution" I found : delete the last part of the tails, delete the rubber band. And you'll get... well nice dforce long hairs. But nor more ponytail. 

Hmm...