Learn Blender and make your own models!

StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
edited December 2013 in The Commons

Johnathan Williamson (AKA Blender Cookie) has been a Blender enthusiast for years and he's also a highly effective instructor. Recently Johnathan posted a series of informative videos for anyone who wants to learn how to get started.

http://cgcookie.com/blender/cgc-courses/blender-basics-introduction-for-beginners/

Post edited by StratDragon on

Comments

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,324
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the link, I am now adding Blender to my list of softwares.

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

Does he walk you through the GUI. I tried Blender years ago but I drove me crazy trying to find things.

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited December 2013

icprncss said:
    Does he walk you through the GUI. I tried Blender years ago but I drove me crazy trying to find things.

Yes, and while it's better than it was before version 2.5 it's still a little scary to get started at least it was for me because l too I tried years ago and gave up in frustration, then when they made changes in 2.5 I decided to give it another go and it was a lot more intuitive IMHO.
    You can customize the interface and it has multiple interfaces for things like Default (where you will do most of your modeling), UV, gaming, etc. and you can switch in and out of them from the drop down next to File/Add/Render/Window/Help that shows 'default", this is all customizable to an insane level.

at 9:30 in the interface video he shows how to change Blender to look more like the Maya color and layout theme, since this video came out Blender has a skin that looks like Hexagon (and others) as well.

funny thing, I've been using Blender for a year now, I'm watching the video and learning all these amazing things you can do in the interface that I was not aware of.

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the heads-up Strat. I've been using Blender off and on since version 4.9, but I'm still learning something new every time I use it.

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

Thanks, I put a link on my blog at dA as well!

Sooner or later I will lure in some new disciples to the cause.

JOOOOOIN UUUUUUS

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,575
    edited December 2013

icprncss said:

...I tried it again recently and found myself becoming a prime candidate for the Bald Wizards Club in RL.

Daz, please fix Hexagon...I paid good money for it five years ago.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited December 2013

Thanks, I put a link on my blog at dA as well!

JOOOOOIN UUUUUUS

I'm a total convert preaching the gospel with this thing now, I never hated it but I never thought I was going to get over that curve, ever. Once I did though, wow!

Kyoto Kid said:

...I tried it again recently and found myself becoming a prime candidate for the Bald Wizards Club in RL.

I paid good money for Hexagon too, it just never had more than 10 minutes of stability before I was looking at my desktop saying "what just happened?" I don't see Daz ever patching it up and honestly it's years behind the competition at this point, even if they did fix it it would take a massive overhaul to get it where it needs to be.

• daveleitzdaveleitz Posts: 459
    edited December 2013

Kyoto Kid said:
    icprncss said:

I know you would like to use Modo. Well, Modo is apparently coming to Steam, and hopefully for a significant discount. I read about it on the Blender Artists forum.

Edit: And now there's a thread all about Modo coming on Steam on this forum, too.

Post edited by daveleitz on
  • Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

JOOOOOIN UUUUUUS

Resistence is futile!

~said in my best Patrick Stewart impersonation~

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    icprncss said:

I know you would like to use Modo. Well, Modo is apparently coming to Steam, and hopefully for a significant discount. I read about it on the Blender Artists forum.

Edit: And now there's a thread all about Modo coming on Steam on this forum, too.
    ...just checked it out on the Steam website and it sounds to be oriented more towards game development (in particular, DOTA 2). As the retail price from Luxology is 1,495$, I don't expect it to will be all that affordable considering the retail price of Silo 2.2 is 159$ from Nevercenter and the Steam version is 60$.

Also not into cloud based software.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    icprncss said:

...just checked it out on the Steam website and it sounds to be oriented more towards game development (in particular, DOTA 2). As the retail price from Luxology is 1,495$, I don't expect it to will be all that affordable considering the retail price of Silo 2.2 is 159$ from Nevercenter and the Steam version is 60$.

Blender's price has recently tripled, but it turns out any multiple of 0 is still 0.

edited December 1969

Miss B said:

JOOOOOIN UUUUUUS

Resistence is futile!

~said in my best Patrick Stewart impersonation~
    ...no it isn't.

It's actually quite easy

It may cost a few Zloty''s in the end, but it can be done.

...crikey I've held out this long (over 5 years).

edited December 2013

Kyoto Kid said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    icprncss said:

Blender's price has recently tripled, but it turns out any multiple of 0 is still 0.
    ...in hard currency perhaps....

...but in frustration level, the cost has increased dramatically, and that is something which exceeds my budget for patience.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    icprncss said:

...in hard currency perhaps....

...but in frustration level, the cost has increased dramatically, and that is something which exceeds my budget for patience.

*Shrug* Nobody's making you use it. The point of this thread is to make sure people who might want to try it know where the resources are.

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited December 1969

I really love blender , cg cookie, and blender free you tube tutorials,,,

I recommend these You tube VIdeo too for perfect biginners who want to start blender,,
    tutor3d and voscorpiianC too.

http://www.littlewebhut.com/ ( start and make some render with cycles)
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLP3-5QSIC-VfO_CRu5Q9Wa3o_Wv6opUs0
    (for 2.68 interface)

I was perfect new comer about 3d two years ago,,
    I have studied many things about daz studio, but I could not make my own handmade items for ds character,,,

After challenging blender 2.6 again, and learned them step by step,, it make me feel real happy.
    before I have used hexagon, to make morph or sometimes use D-form etc,
    and tried to make simple prop,,,,I believe these steps help me a lot to learn blender too.

But the more learning about each tools ,modifiers, and add on of blender, now I seldom use Hexagon ^^;

Blender really make me to model my self item for favorite daz figure, from perfect scratch,,,
    modeling, UV etc,,

( so that,, nowdays I do not cry and complain in this forum,, ^^; )

I strongly suggest, if there is new comer like me,, and hope to make original clothing for your favorite daz figure
    and your character, or try to make prop,, and if you think,, You may need to get and buy more powerful 3d tool,,
    start with blender first ^^ (really powerful 3d tool I think,,)

I hope some daz veteran user, make topic about "how to start blender for daz studio "

(I know blender can do almost everything about 3d ,,,
    but making simple items , (figure or props) for your ds scene and favorite figures, customize etc,,
    seems most interesting first step for many new ds user,,)

Of course,, you can find many good tutorialls about blender and it is moer easy than learning or serching about ds
    CCT tools or each action details for me ^^;

Blenderhappy.JPG
    1158 x 816 - 179K
  • RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631
    edited December 1969

Johnathan Williamson (AKA Blender Cookie) has been a Blender enthusiast for years and he's also a highly effective instructor. Recently Johnathan posted a series of informative videos for anyone who wants to learn how to get started.

http://cgcookie.com/blender/cgc-courses/blender-basics-introduction-for-beginners/

i cant stand hearing this voice so rapidspeaking for more than 1 Minute
    makes me nervous

• fictionalbookshelffictionalbookshelf Posts: 837
    edited December 1969

I haven't converted yet but curious has anyone used Blender after using Silo and if so did you feel that you learned or became comfortable with Blender quicker because of it? I tried it several years ago and ran away screaming but I have learned a lot since then.

I mainly use Silo and Hexagon but I'm always looking at other things.

• gabugabu Posts: 303
    edited December 1969

icprncss said:

Yes, and while it's better than it was before version 2.5 it's still a little scary to get started at least it was for me because l too I tried years ago and gave up in frustration, then when they made changes in 2.5 I decided to give it another go and it was a lot more intuitive IMHO.
    You can customize the interface and it has multiple interfaces for things like Default (where you will do most of your modeling), UV, gaming, etc. and you can switch in and out of them from the drop down next to File/Add/Render/Window/Help that shows 'default", this is all customizable to an insane level.

at 9:30 in the interface video he shows how to change Blender to look more like the Maya color and layout theme, since this video came out Blender has a skin that looks like Hexagon (and others) as well.

funny thing, I've been using Blender for a year now, I'm watching the video and learning all these amazing things you can do in the interface that I was not aware of.

The mention of a Hexagon skin took my eye and I thought it could be a good way of making Blender more accessible as a beginner. Unfortunately it appears the Hexagon skin just changes the interface colours to resemble Hexagon's, it doesn't change the structure of the interface at all.

• TjebTjeb Posts: 507
    edited December 1969

Perhaps in the future we see some elements of Andrew Price's proposed layout:
    http://youtu.be/UWacQrEcMHk

• gabugabu Posts: 303
    edited December 1969

Looks interesting.

But I would at the moment just be satisfied with a (set) of tutorials on something like 'Blender for Hexagon users'. After reading the comment about the skin I had visions of Blender being able visually to mimic Hexagon.

• Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,294
    edited December 1969

Everyone keeps waiting for the Blender creators to change how Blender looks and operates when everyone who knows code and programming, etc., has access to the open source code and work on making a more user friendly UI. If they succeed, they would be a hero to all who would want this....lol Anyone up to the task?

• ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528
    edited December 1969

tjeb said:

Sadly the Blender community seemed to want his head on a pike for making those suggestions. Blender's biggest flaw is the vocal element of their community that gets off on how esoteric it is and wants it to remain an exclusive club. I hear from Blender users that they're a minority but they seem to be the ones calling the shots.

At this point I think the only chance for a truly user friendly open source modelling program will be if a company currently producing modelling software goes out of business and makes its software open source before they close the doors. Blender is a lost cause. There are just too many Sheldon Coopers in that fan base who will fight against it becoming more accessible.

If Price's UI hadn't been shouted down I'd have become a Blender user and so would many others.

edited December 1969

CalieVee said:
    Everyone keeps waiting for the Blender creators to change how Blender looks and operates when everyone who knows code and programming, etc., has access to the open source code and work on making a more user friendly UI. If they succeed, they would be a hero to all who would want this....lol Anyone up to the task?

...I am one who does not know python scripting who has been waiting years for that knight in shining armour to appear.

Modelling and sculpting is hard enough to learn, a UI that just gets in the way rather than helps facilitate the process is regressive.

edited December 2013

tjeb said:

Sadly the Blender community seemed to want his head on a pike for making those suggestions. Blender's biggest flaw is the vocal element of their community that gets off on how esoteric it is and wants it to remain an exclusive club. I hear from Blender users that they're a minority but they seem to be the ones calling the shots.

At this point I think the only chance for a truly user friendly open source modelling program will be if a company currently producing modelling software goes out of business and makes its software open source before they close the doors. Blender is a lost cause. There are just too many Sheldon Coopers in that fan base who will fight against it becoming more accessible.

If Price's UI hadn't been shouted down I'd have become a Blender user and so would many others.
    ...+1

Daz either needs to do something with Hexagon, or sell it to someone who will, or let it go open source. It would be wonderful to have just a nice powerful, dedicated modelling/sculpting application without a lot of feature bloat like animation, rendering, game development tools, etc.

edited December 1969

tjeb said:

Regrettably, some Blender users are like this, yes. I would like to see more interface options offered if not necessarily a unilateral change; but then, this is open source. Unilateral change is not a thing.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,858
    edited December 1969

tjeb said:

Since it's open source, could they fork it?

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 2013

tjeb said:

They could. Happens all the time in the Linux community. More and more distros appear all the time and with new desktop environments but each being a fork off another. I may not be a programmer but with Blenader being opensource there is nothing stopping anyone from making an alternate version and doing it the way they want.

Come to think of it, Blender would be better off if it was modular so if you only wanted to do modeling then you only need to have so much installed. Want animation, install the animation modul. Need the game engine stuff, then install it and so on.

Post edited by Mattymanx on
  • ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528
    edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:

They could. Happens all the time in the Linux community. More and more distros appear all the time and with new desktop environments but each being a fork off another. I may not be a programmer but with Blender being opensource there is nothing stopping anyone from making an alternate version and doing it the way they want.

The problem is the bulk of the people doing the coding for Blender are of the "this is OURS" mindset that want the software to remain closed off from new users. There simply are not enough coders who care enough about Blender to make it better so it's being left in the hands of people who committed to making it an exclusive club. If coding were simple this wouldn't be a problem but the difficulty in coding a UI means only the people with the most fanatical devotion to doing such coding are going to be the ones determining for the rest of the users what that UI is going to be, and right now the ones with the most fanatical devotion to Blender are the ones who hate the idea of Blender being accessible.

edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    tjeb said:

They could. Happens all the time in the Linux community. More and more distros appear all the time and with new desktop environments but each being a fork off another. I may not be a programmer but with Blenader being opensource there is nothing stopping anyone from making an alternate version and doing it the way they want.

Come to think of it, Blender would be better off if it was modular so if you only wanted to do modeling then you only need to have so much installed. Want animation, install the animation modul. Need the game engine stuff, then install it and so on.
    ...I brought up modularity in the Blender 2.66 Wow thread. I think it would be a great direction for Blender to take, that way someone like myself, who just needs a modelling/sculpting application could get that without all the other features complicating matters.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

yeah, would seem easier if you dont have a lot of extra stuff that is not relevant in you way.