why is the DAZ store so expensive?

124»

Comments

• XoechZ said:

Not talking about new stuff, which everyone wants to have. But take a look at older things, especially clothes for Victoria 4. These are still way too expensive in my eyes. Why is that so? Most of the old V4 clothes are still in the 20 $ range - or more.

Looking at other shops, I see that I can get similar clothes for V4 with the same (or even better) quality for less than 10 $. So why should I buy here? I think DAZ should be aware of that.

What do you think?

You are right they are way to expensive for what you get, I also have lost track on what Ive bought over the years and yes most of the things that Ive bought turned out not so nice btw  just to let you know if you tried you could make better yourself just look for tutorials on how to make things, its easy once you get started ..

• shanteshante Posts: 206
    edited February 2017

XoechZ said:

Not talking about new stuff, which everyone wants to have. But take a look at older things, especially clothes for Victoria 4. These are still way too expensive in my eyes. Why is that so? Most of the old V4 clothes are still in the 20 $ range - or more.

Looking at other shops, I see that I can get similar clothes for V4 with the same (or even better) quality for less than 10 $. So why should I buy here? I think DAZ should be aware of that.

What do you think?

I'm not sure. The Ingenue & Glamorous Vicki Bundle is still $100, thought V3 has been upgraded now 3 times. I have a hard time believing it still sells well.

Upgraded? 3 times?

What did these upgrades consist of? Did they fix her shoulder/collar/underarms issues that made her look more like a limebacker than a femme fatale?

Post edited by shante on
  • McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005

What's with the Necrothreads today?

Well... 2013 wasn't such a bad year... I suppose... I've been wanting to go back there a lot lately.

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,498
    McGyver said:

Well... 2013 wasn't such a bad year... I suppose... I've been wanting to go back there a lot lately.

I do prefer 1958, good vintage for Bollinger according to James...

• Dream CutterDream Cutter Posts: 1,222
    edited February 2017

>>What's with the Necrothreads today?

Brougnt me back from the dead.  First post this year.

Post edited by Dream Cutter on
  • dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128

I do personally love that Daz allows threads to come back to life. I hate hate hate forums that are constantly shutting down threads. Megathreads = <3

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    Chohole said:
    Every item you see took hours, sometime weeks or months to make. For many of the creators, this is their livelihood. Many require expensive software (take a look at the price of Z-Brush. Unless I win the lottery, I'll never own it.) It takes more than a basic computer to do efficient 3D work. When you buy an item for $10, the artist is getting maybe $5. That's small change for a lot of work.

Silo. I own both Zbrush and Silo. Silo is a cool tool. Many vendors use that, too.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,797
    edited February 2017

oops read post first page not realising necro thread

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • brainmuffinbrainmuffin Posts: 1,152
    edited February 2017
    shante said:

XoechZ said:

What do you think?

I'm not sure. The Ingenue & Glamorous Vicki Bundle is still $100, thought V3 has been upgraded now 3 times. I have a hard time believing it still sells well.

Upgraded? 3 times?

What did these upgrades consist of? Did they fix her shoulder/collar/underarms issues that made her look more like a limebacker than a femme fatale?

I meant we are 3 versions from V3. Actually, it is 4 now as V7 is the current model. The set is still $100 though.

Post edited by brainmuffin on
  • nelsonsmithnelsonsmith Posts: 1,325

All I can say is, try making, or developing the skills to make some of that stuff from scratch, and you'll soon realize that you're coming out pretty cheap, even with some of the prices being what they are.

True, I do thank DAZ for not shutting threads down after time... Old questions are still relevant even after a few years.

I wasn't being mean... I am a pretty terrible person, but in this case I was just commenting...

I find it funny that sometimes I write something in a thread and then after a few minutes I'm thinking to myself... "Hey... Is that an old thread...?" And sure enough, three years ago I wrote something stupid in it... Or helpful... Trying to be helpful... Mostly stupid though...

You know what would be cool... A time capsule thread... It stays open for one week... First post clearly asks that after that date nobody post in it until maybe two years later if the planet is still here... Well there... Forget it, it keeps rotating and revolving, but you get what I mean... So two years later if anyone besides the cockroaches are still here, you open it back up for a week again...  

It could be simple TOS friendly posts about what is new here, stuff you just bought, what you hope will come out, a message to future you... Whatever.

Nobody will do that, but it could be fun... You could look back and say "wow... It wasn't so bad back then before our alien overlords arrived" or something like that... or realize how much better new tech is... Or whatever.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited February 2017
    Chohole said:
    Every item you see took hours, sometime weeks or months to make. For many of the creators, this is their livelihood. Many require expensive software (take a look at the price of Z-Brush. Unless I win the lottery, I'll never own it.) It takes more than a basic computer to do efficient 3D work. When you buy an item for $10, the artist is getting maybe $5. That's small change for a lot of work.

Hey,   I never said that,  honest I didn't.   Theses necro threads,  even get people using my name to post things , and I have had my User Name ever since I first used the internet, it's very personal to me.  And do you know what,  when I look back to see who it was said something using my name,  I find that nobody did.    Necro threads are Spooky

Post edited by Chohole on
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,166
    edited February 2017
    Totte said:
    McGyver said:

1995 was my best year.  Took a trip out west.  Ah, tales of the old west in '95 smiley

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
    Totte said:
    McGyver said:

1995 was my best year.  Took a trip out west.  Ah, tales of the old west in '95 smiley

Please show us some renders ;-)

• richardbmiller2richardbmiller2 Posts: 13
    edited February 2017

For me, personally, I purchase during sales for Daz because I prefer the Genesis 3 base over other options.  As a game developer, and because of my own aesthetic eye, I don't like the genesis 2 base offered by Morph3d.com (I've tested it in engine also) or other alternatives like mixamo.  I spent a lot of time trying to find a solid model base for my gamedev work (and daz is a great tool for making game logos I might add).  I do my own texture work / mesh work when I need to. (recently created my own light maps from PIxeluna's Synx set)  Daz3D allows me to work on my projects with a model aesthetically pleasing to me.

I'll go into a bit more detail about how this is relevant to the question, because I've not made that clear.  Having done a lot of research, including going directly to a high level character artist,  Daz3d genesis 3 offers me aesthetic I want with a much lower cost.  Since I'm indie game dev, and not AAA, that matters.  Daz3d Genesis 3 offers me the quality and aesthetic I want for something I can afford.

Further detail - I started the most recent project solely from working on the female model in Daz3d.  I didn't have a clue when I started her what I'd use her for.  While I was working through iterations of her, the game design hit me.  The aesthetic of the model can inspire creativity that wouldn't otherwise happen.  That's art inspiring art.  That's beautiful.

Post edited by richardbmiller2 on
  • LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited February 2017

For me, personally, I purchase during sales for Daz because I prefer the Genesis 3 base over other options.  As a game developer, and because of my own aesthetic eye, I don't like the genesis 2 base offered by Morph3d.com (I've tested it in engine also) or other alternatives like mixamo.  I spent a lot of time trying to find a solid model base for my gamedev work (and daz is a great tool for making game logos I might add).  I do my own texture work / mesh work when I need to. (recently created my own light maps from PIxeluna's Synx set)  Daz3D allows me to work on my projects with a model aesthetically pleasing to me.

I'll go into a bit more detail about how this is relevant to the question, because I've not made that clear.  Having done a lot of research, including going directly to a high level character artist,  Daz3d genesis 3 offers me aesthetic I want with a much lower cost.  Since I'm indie game dev, and not AAA, that matters.  Daz3d Genesis 3 offers me the quality and aesthetic I want for something I can afford.

Further detail - I started the most recent project solely from working on the female model in Daz3d.  I didn't have a clue when I started her what I'd use her for.  While I was working through iterations of her, the game design hit me.  The aesthetic of the model can inspire creativity that wouldn't otherwise happen.  That's art inspiring art.  That's beautiful.

Well said. I'm a writer, who got into 3D when I couldn't find what I wanted in 2D to create my own book covers and promo art (and hopefully one day, animated book trailers.) I get ideas for new characters, stories and worlds all the time from the products here. It's become part of my work flow.

Even at full price, these products are a bargain. With the constant sales here, there are many great deals, you own the stuff for life and you get a commercial license to use it any way you like. Sold! 

Post edited by Llynara on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,926

Well honestly if I were just to be rendering DAZ models in personal art, as most people do, the DAZ Store is very, very expensive. I'd stick to PC+ items only and learn to retexture / update textures for iRay.

If using for a novel, art image creation by commission as apparently some do, game creation and so on, although trying to earn money with such products yourself is pure speculation with a very low chance of success, then the DAZ Store prices are somewhat more justifiable.

• Totte said:
    Totte said:
    McGyver said:

Sorry, these are the only type renders I have of that happy time. wink

EastOfDenver_800.jpg
    800 x 568 - 108K
    GiantRedwoods_800.jpg
    542 x 800 - 155K
    DawsonCreekBC_800.jpg
    800 x 542 - 92K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    Totte said:
    Totte said:
    McGyver said:

Nice bike

edited February 2017

A fun time it looks like!

Post edited by Totte on

A BMW... Nice bike, one of the coolest touring (real touring, where there might not be an actual road, touring) bikes... The dual sport concept is cool... a motorcycle version of an SUV... (Not what most SUVs have become, the original concept... Dual use).

What filter did you use to simulate the grains and scratches? 

• The giant redwoods are spectacular. 

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,166
    edited February 2017
    McGyver said:

A BMW... Nice bike, one of the coolest touring (real touring, where there might not be an actual road, touring) bikes... The dual sport concept is cool... a motorcycle version of an SUV... (Not what most SUVs have become, the original concept... Dual use).

What filter did you use to simulate the grains and scratches? 

It was a 1995 BMW R1100GS and handled rough roads really nicely!  A dirt bike on steroids.  I never really took it off road (not my thing), but I knew the trip around the country could encounter some less than ideal situations.  For example: While crossing the plains of Kansas and Eastern Colorado headed for Denver I took a secondary road that turned out to be in not so great repair.  But I kept up a good 60-65 mph and caught up with a couple of guys on big Harley-Davidsons averaging about 50-55 mph.  We waved at each other but I kept behind them and followed them for about 60 miles until they pulled off into a gas station.  My bike had a huge tank (7.5 gal.) and I could have gone on for another hundred miles but I pulled off to talk with them.  While getting back on my bike I overheard them talking to each other exclaiming what a rough road this had been and complaining about butt & back trouble.  I grinned internally because I hadn't really noticed the road being troublesome.  Rough yes, but I was riding on a cloud.  After another hour of riding behind them I eventually went on ahead of them and left them behind.  And up in northern British Columbia I ran into some places where a regular road touring bike might not have had the right stuff.

The scratch filter in use was apparently a "NumKnuts#2" which comes free with a photo album composed of electrostatically charged plastic sheets that suck in every piece of dust and cat hair in the area when inserting photos.  Also it has been stored in a hot attic for 10 years to complete the baking process.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • The giant redwoods are spectacular. 

Jaw dropping. surpriseyes  I heartily recommend going to see them before they're gone. crying

The giant redwoods are spectacular. 

Jaw dropping. surpriseyes  I heartily recommend going to see them before they're gone. crying

I did see some when I was in San Francisco in 2008, took a drive to a redwood park, pretty mighty trees!

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,926

Even though I first climbed and rode on a motorcycle (don't get excited, my uncle was driving, although he'd probably get the law on him for doing that today), before I was 5 years old they scare the bejabbers out of me.

That Alaska Highway seems popular lately, I've know two people from my small town that have driven it in the past 5 years.

• Totte said:

The giant redwoods are spectacular. 

I did see some when I was in San Francisco in 2008, took a drive to a redwood park, pretty mighty trees!

I got to see some in Vancouver British Columbia Canada in 2001.  Must make a point of getting out there again and maybe drive down the Coast to LA.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,133

Sequoia National Park 2013. That little spec in the pink sweatshirt is me.

Sequoia Senate.jpg
    1706 x 2000 - 2M