Trying to move Bryce 7 PLE over to my laptop - problems!

edited December 1969 in New Users

I've been away a little while, very busy but I'm back :cheese: Since Bryce does not run really well on my old XP desktop (it tends to crash in the middle of a project), I knew it was time to try to copy it over to my laptop. Did that, the procedure went very well. My laptop is fairly new, not online yet (I use it at home, I have DSL but no connecting device for the laptop as yet) which is why I copied the program over.

However...I can't use it, now it is requesting my name and serial number. I never had a serial number, since my Bryce is a free download. Is it possible to solve this problem or should I wait till I can download the free version again online? And by the way, does the free Bryce 7 PLE still exist? I've looked around here and there but not seen it...not for free, I mean.

krystal

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I still have my Bryce 5.5 serial number in My Account>My Serials as well as the one for Bryce 7. If you got your copy of Bryce from DAZ 3D you should have access to the code.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

The free PLE edition of Bryce was removed some time back, when the full version was being released as a free download. The serial number for it was actually on the CNet website, on the page where you downloaded it from. Bryce has always needed a serial number to make it work.

Are you sure that you didn't have a serial number on your previous installation?

There is currently no free version of Bryce.

If you did ''Purchase'' a copy of Bryce through the DAZ 3D store, then you will have access to it to redownload and the serial number will be in your account as well, as Jaderail says.

If you didn't purchase through the store system then I am afraid the only way to get Bryce now is to purchase it through the store.

http://www.daz3d.com/software/bryce

• edited December 2013

Hmm, it has been a long time so I am not certain whether i got my copy from DAZ site or CNet. Probably CNet...I remember getting my Hexagon from DAZ when that was offered as free. But I will look around on DAZ in case I did get Bryce there.

I don't really mind paying $19 for a copy of it now, that is an amazing price for such a great program! Couldn't believe it was no more than that...made me do a double take, LOL

OK, I found a serial number at DAZ under My Account, but it is for DAZ Studio 4.6 Pro. I don't have that...all I have is free Hexagon and free Bryce 7...:ohh:

Post edited by aphrodites.flower.girl on
    edited December 1969

Well I am not going to disagree with you there. You may be able to work out that I rather like Bryce. :coolsmile:

• edited December 2013

No, I never did have DAZ Studio, don't know why there is a serial number on my acct. for that.

Okay, now I really need help! I just purchased Bryce 7 Pro but when I try to download those 4 big files that we need, I keep getting errors and can't download them... What is going on?? >:( "...exe file could not be saved...source file could not be read..."

Have tried again and again, no luck! HELP....

edited December 2013

OK, are you using DIM or are you trying to download manually?

Oh and another point, once you have had a download fail you need to clear your browser cache before you try a 2nd download, as the corrupted data that is already in the cache will cause a 2nd download to fail at roughly the same point.

Make sure that you are downloading the correct files. You need the .exe file if you have windows and the Zip file if you are on a Mac.

this one is the program file Bryce_7.1.0.109_Win32.exe 253.76 MB

This one is the extra content BryceContent_7.0.0.21_Win.exe 670.03 MB

This is the standard content BryceProContent_7.0.0.19_Win.exe 17.23 MB

and this one you only need if you are going to be setting up a render farm

BryceLightning_7.1.0.109_Win.exe 10.86 MB

Post edited by Chohole on
  • edited December 2013

I'm trying to download manually since I still have free Bryce 7 on my desktop and the new purchased version will eventually get installed on my laptop...that is my plan, anyway... I hope to just have the correct files (in this case, .exe for Windows) downloaded and then place them on a CD or a thumb drive. In that case is it necessary to use the DIM, should I download that too (make the attempt)?

Yes there were several "part" files from failed downloads, I managed to get rid of all of them from my download folder.

My confirmation email lists 4 separate .exe files that I need. I got Bryce Pro Content and Lightning downloaded successfully from DAZ Product Library. However, that page does not show all 4 exe files as shown in my email. I keep trying the link for that big file (254 MB) and it fails. I get this message:

" C:\Documents and Settings\krystal\My Documents\Downloads\Bryce_7.1.0.109_Win32.exe.part could not be saved, because the source file could not be read. Try again later, or contact the server administrator."

I shall try the final exe file out of the 4 email links. Why do the email links give me trouble whilst the links at the Product Library work fine? And why doesn't Product Library provide all 4 exe files?

[EDIT] Okay, in Product Library there is another link for Bryce which does have "BryceContent_7.0.0.21_Win.exe" and also "Bryce7.1.0.109_Win32.exe"...I am trying those now, maybe the site links will work for me as before. They are big files, I'm crossing my fingers!

edited December 2013

Yes use the links from the Product library, not the ones from the email confirmation.

Also it is not your download list you need to remove them from it is your browser cache, in the Clear recent history section

What Browser do you use.

• edited December 1969

Yep, took care of all that, cleared recent history, temp files, etc. to make sure this old machine is in its best running order.

Finally got the files all downloaded, thanks to the DAZ official site....those email links are wonky! So that was a big relief to me :lol:

I use Firefox's latest and greatest as my typical browser choice...

So....now that I have all the .exe files (oh, I shall delete Lightening, I don't expect to be starting a render farm anytime soon, lol) what about arranging the files on my laptop, what is my next move going to be? Do I need the DIM or not?

edited December 2013

Did you download using DIM. I think you have to have downloaded with DIM to be able to install using DIM.''

Edited to add

If you used DIM to download then yes you can transfer the files to your other machine, Just make sure you copy the files downloaded through DIM to your downloads folder on the other machine.

• edited December 1969

Uhh, nooo, I downloaded the .exe files manually... That OK?

edited December 1969

Ah right then you will need to install them manually. DIM will only install what it has downloaded.

Download Horo's PDF and follow the instructions on that for where to install the various files once you have extracted them. You will need to run the Bryce program .exe first to get that installed, then run the content ones.

http://www.horo.ch/docs/mine/pdf/BryceContent_v4.pdf

• edited December 2013

Sounds good, thanks! Also I found this thread

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/4523/#57263

at the end of which you make it sound almost ridiculously easy to get up and running. I hope it finishes out that way for little dummy me!!

edited December 1969

Well if you run into any problems, then just shout. We are all here to help, if you need more help.

• edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Well if you run into any problems, then just shout. We are all here to help, if you need more help.

Not really a big problem right now, just a question about installing... I seem to have installed the files Bryce 7.1.0.109 and BryceContent 7.0.0.21 successfully, I put the second one into a "MyTempFolder" within the main program folder. However, in opening the BryceProContent 7.0.0.19 into that same temp folder, it does not seem to like that because it's saying Bryce cannot be found at that location. So...should this one be installed into the default Bryce Content folder??

edited December 2013

Content should be put into the correct preset folders (image copied form Horo's PDF)

bryce_content.jpg
    737 x 422 - 202K