Smart Content not showing much content

I am trying to use Carrara 8.5 Pro but I am not seeing much content in smart content.  Do I need to do anything in settings for it to show?  if so Where?  I had some videos for learning Carrara but I do not know where they are now.  I do know the smart content shows more stuff in DS than C8.5 but I do not know what I am doing wrong.

Comments

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Screenshot?

Most of my Carrara content is accessed through the Carrara browser, in the scenes and objects tabs.  That is where native content is, and where I put folders to store Carrara products.

Daz content is accessed through the Content and Smart Content tabs.

Do you use DIM to install your Daz Content?  I use it religiously, and almost all Daz content shows up in Smart Content.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,702

Screenshot?

Most of my Carrara content is accessed through the Carrara browser, in the scenes and objects tabs.  That is where native content is, and where I put folders to store Carrara products.

Daz content is accessed through the Content and Smart Content tabs.

Do you use DIM to install your Daz Content?  I use it religiously, and almost all Daz content shows up in Smart Content.

This is what I am talking about.

Carrara8_5smartcontent.png
    1112 x 193 - 145K

Not much there under B.

Again, how are you installing content?  Are you using DIM?

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,702

Not much there under B.

Again, how are you installing content?  Are you using DIM?

I am installing the content via DIM.  It shows in DS but not Carrara.

edited June 2019

Do you have Carrara listed in your DIM settings?

Settings are accessed from the little gear on the top right.

DIM Carrara path.JPG
    868 x 910 - 130K
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,801

what version of DS are you using..

I find to reinstall smart content on Carrara firstly I have to instal an early version of DS like 4.0 .. anything later for me does NOT work.. then setup smart content in DS.. then instal Carrara and database conversion files so to show all the content in Carrara Smart Content tab.. this process depending on how much content you have will take a bit of time to do the conversion.

If it happens instantly it probably didn't work. 

It's a PITA but is DAZ3d fault for not keeping Carrara updated .  angry

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

I haved also found that you cant have DIM open or DZ open at the same time as Carrara or it will not see the Smart content.

Some times I have had to use Studio and reimport the metadata and then close Studio then start Carrara before it would work.

It's always good to hear possible solutions to the Smart Content problem.

I've been fortunate in that it has always worked for me.  I can run DIM and/or Studio at the same time as Carrara, and it still works fine.

Some here have suspected in the past that newer Studio versions mess up Smart Content.  But others here use the newest DS version with no Smart Content issues.

My path has been that I followed Daz's advice, and used DIM from the very first time I opened Carrara.  Since DIM and Smart Content are relatively new, most Carrara artists are probably used to installing content a different way, and/or are not fans of Smart Content.

I'm a fan. :)

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,017
    DS 4.8 or older is needed for a fresh setup or if you reset the database yourself. Then you get a copy of the old SC database format for Carrara.
  • SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969

Which version of DS are you using.   I had trouble getting Smart Content to show back when 4.10 came out, so I rolled back to 4.8 (which I'd kept as a download) and use that for my Carrara linked content. I run 4.10 public beta along side it for other features needed in DS.  I think some others got around the problem differently and don't do as I did. Maybe they can help get it all to show up.  Do check your DIM settings

Lately as I have been using the regular Content tab as other than the product list in Smart, when you have a lot of product it takes ages to populate, even the 'standard' categories. 

indecision  Silene