install manager isn't working, but looks like it is.

MadJaqMadJaq Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

I'm lost. I've used Download manager to download and install the Girl 4 and another file, and they don't show up in Daz 4.6. What gives? It's running through the motions, but when I run Daz, it's not there.

Grr!

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

DIM by default, installs to C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library unless you changed it to install somewhere else.

You would need to add that path to your Content Directory Manager to see the content displayed inside DS. The problem with G4, it is a morph of V4, and as such, would need to be installed into the same Runtime folder as V4.

If you click on the little gear icon at the top right of the DIM interface, you can add another installation path, like My Library if that is what you have been using.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,445
    edited December 1969

Did you happen to have DS open when installing it? If you installed Girl 4 with DIM while DS was open you need to re-import your meta data

• MadJaqMadJaq Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Food for thought, but why can't I tell IM where I want the files to shoot to? And if I can, how is it done?

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,071
    edited December 1969

MadJaq said:
    Food for thought, but why can't I tell IM where I want the files to shoot to? And if I can, how is it done?

You can. I'm downloading, so I can't get the exact syntax and titles, but -

Click on the gear icon in the upper right (setup).
    Select the 'Installation' tab
    Click on the '+' icon to add a new directory path
    Define the short name and browse to the desired directory (and you can add directories in the path if they don't already exist)
    Click 'OK' or 'Accept' or whatever DIM is looking for

Exit the config.

Now you can select the new directory for installation of selected items.

I've got several set up:
    gen5 D:/s4stuff/gen5 for genesis items
    gen4 D:/s4stuff/gen4 for the generation 4 figures, hair, clothing, & so on

Just make sure these directories are defined to Studio as both DAZ format and Poser format.

edited December 1969

That's very cool, thanks for showing me that. Now, how can I figure out where Daz is pulling it's content from? Would that be under Edit>Preferences>Content Library tab> the Content Directory Manager??

edited December 1969

MadJaq said:
    That's very cool, thanks for showing me that. Now, how can I figure out where Daz is pulling it's content from? Would that be under Edit>Preferences>Content Library tab> the Content Directory Manager??

Yep.

You can also get there by clicking on the small box with the arrow and horizontal lines when you have the Content Library tab active.

Click the '+' sign by DAZ Studio Formats and Poser Formats to expand the list. To add a directory, click on either DAZ Studio or Poser formats and you'll get an 'add' option; click on it and then browse to the path you want to add.

One note - when you save items in Studio, using 'file save', some information is put into the data directory of the FIRST Studio format directory defined - I have a directory, D:\s4stuff\mystuff as the first directory defined, just for this purpose.

edited December 1969

Are there any other pointers, because I'm still not getting anything. Even the genesis 2 base stuff to isn't getting recognized, I cannot find it. Somewhere I goofed, and I haven't an inkling where, or how.

edited December 1969

Open the 'installed' tab in DIM and move your mouse over the entry for the starter essentials package - you should get a pop-up that tells you, among other things, where the files have been installed (last line). If you do not get the popup, click on the gear icon and check the two boxes at the top- Show General Tool Tips and Show Product Info Tips.

The directory you installed to needs to be defined to Studio. If it is the wrong directory, select the product and click 'start queue' to un-install; then go to the 'Ready to Install' tab, make sure 'Show Details' is checked (bottom right) and use the 'content path shortcuts' pull-down to select the proper directory. Then re-select the product and click 'Start Queue' to re-install to the proper directory.

edited December 1969

Let's see. I'm still not getting anywhere.

In Install manager under the 'Installation' tab I have this path chosen: C:/Users/name/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio.
    Documents

I did as suggested, and uninstalled the files. Then the path was changed to the one above and they were installed again. Now, I am looking at the 'Installed tabs' and when I hover over them, this is the path: C:/Users/Public/Documents/My Daz 3D Library/.

Is this some kind of ID10T error, or is Install Manager hung up?

edited December 1969

OK - on the basis that a picture is worth a whole bunch of words, I present 4 pictures. These are from my laptop, so the paths don't match what I posted previously but they work as shown.

Image1 - This shows my installation paths as defined to DIM -- note that I blew away the default path as soon as I had one of my own defined. (I never do defaults if I can avoid it)

Image 2 -I've filtered on the starter essentials; note at the bottom I will be installing to shortcut name 'gen5', path 'C:\DAZ3d\library\gen5'

Image 3 - my content directories as defined to DAZ Studio - note C:\DAS3d\library\gen5 shows up as both Studio and Poser format. And once again, the default 'my library' is gone.

Image 4 - The popup in the DIM 'Installed' tab, showing where the content was installed.

Image4.jpg
    799 x 630 - 71K
    Image3.jpg
    468 x 592 - 48K
    Image2.jpg
    799 x 630 - 67K
    Image1.jpg
    816 x 702 - 86K