No ReadMe files installed anymore to my local PC for new DAZ products? Why?

IconicPoserIconicPoser Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I'm really very disappointed about the fact that for new DAZ products ReadMe files seem to be no longer installed to the local PC by the DAZ product installer. Instead, an internet link tries to open the documentation center right after the product installation. Nice, but that doesn't help at all if the working PC has no internet connection because it isn't supposed to go online. It seems that the classic ReadMe's folder on the PC has been retired now and that no new product documentation is installed locally anymore. But exactly this is really a mess if you notice later on that you need some information about your purchased products and you don't have it on your PC!

The only way to overcome this issue? You have to wait for the DAZ link to appear right after the installation, copy the link to an external medium like a USB stick, go to another computer with internet access and open the documentation page there. But even if doing so, it's still complicated to get the whole bunch of necessary product information downloaded. Indeed, there are options to save the current screen in PDF-format, but all other important links contained on the same page, like file lists etc., are NOT added to the generated output. So you have to click on every additional link to get the full product information downloaded. After all you have to spend some time to figure out what should be included, collect it, rename it properly, copy it back to your USB stick and move it to the correct location on your local working PC, where it really belongs.

The point is that even the product file list shows that all information should have been copied by the product installer to the ReadMe's folder! Unfortunately this is NOT true, because everything has to be done manually by the artist!

Why has the product documentation been separated from the product installers at all? Is there any specific reason why DAZ is now making things even more complicated than they were before? Or is this behaviour just related to my latest product?

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/14633/start

Would be nice to get an official statement on that general issue.

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,863
    edited December 1969

It's a minor thing, but you don't have to copy the link from the isntaller - just go to the index page http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/start and find the product. I do sympathise with the rest of your comments, though, even while I can see the advantage of having a live version of the file available before purchase (which is itself something people have long been asking for).

• wimvdb_dc63ee9ce6wimvdb_dc63ee9ce6 Posts: 183
    edited December 1969

Having no local readme is a very dumb idea. By all means have an updated readme online, but give the original in local form and add a link to the online one.
    Two days ago the link to the readme files was dead and then you have no information at all for the products you just installed - not even the location or name they have been given.

• Jeanne MJeanne M Posts: 652
    edited July 2012

I totally agree whole heartedly about the readme. I'm not online 24/7, that maybe sound odd but I have other things I care about also and I really, really want the readme's on my computer as it used to be.
    I just found out about this with the Enticing Ladies and came here to ask about this readme thing. Why is it online only? I made my own readme now so I have one on my computer but really DAZ, you make it a bit hard for me to keep patient and loyal. I really want to be, honest, but.... :down: :ohh: >:(

And these smileys won't help a bit! :coolmad:

Love, Jeanne

Post edited by Jeanne M on
  • TaozTaoz Posts: 9,732
    edited July 2012

You could try Inquiry, I use it myself for saving product info from DAZ and other 3D sites. The basic version is free.

http://www.metaproducts.com/mp/custom.asp?id=29

You can export the pages to HTML, MHT or (only paid versions) CHM single- or multipage. Here's an example of a multipage CHM file:

http://miscfiles.net//temp/0001/GenesisContent.chm

(if you can't see the content, right click the file, select "Properties". and then click the "Unblock" button).

BTW, on XP you may have to set your CHM viewer to IE9 mode, to display the pages with the correct formatting:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MAIN\FeatureControl\FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION]
    "hh.exe"=dword:00002328

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MAIN\FeatureControl\FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION]
    "hh.exe"=dword:00002328

More details here - http://www.west-wind.com/weblog/posts/2012/Feb/15/Make-your-CHM-Help-Files-show-HTML5-and-CSS3-content

Post edited by Taoz on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

JeanneM said:
    I totally agree whole heartedly about the readme. I'm not online 24/7, that maybe sound odd but I have other things I care about also and I really, really want the readme's on my computer as it used to be.
    I just found out about this with the Enticing Ladies and came here to ask about this readme thing. Why is it online only? I made my own readme now so I have one on my computer but really DAZ, you make it a bit hard for me to keep patient and loyal. I really want to be, honest, but.... :down: :ohh: >:(

Love, Jeanne

Ehm - I hate them too.
    That said, you don't have to make them yourself.
    You can download them as a pdf
    Make sure you click on the link to the file list and save that as a pdf too
    (Upper right corner)

• Gusf1Gusf1 Posts: 252
    edited December 1969

Personally, I never look at the readmes. What I do is copy the product page into the directory that I download the product into and use that.
    Gus

• IconicPoserIconicPoser Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I totally agree that sometimes the information included in those product docs aren't always essential in order to work with the product itself. But it's like purchasing a piece of software for which the vendor doesn't explain what OS it is for, which requirements have to be met and how to run it with best results. After all the user has purchased the full package and had to agree to all terms which then cannot be found on the local PC. For sure this is not the right approach and should be immediately changed by the DAZ team!

So, please create packages again with the full documentation included as we DAZ People were used to them. I know, Rendo and CP are also putting their ReadMe's online. But the difference is that you get them installed/unzipped to your Content folder, too. And that's the way it should be!

• edited December 1969

I agree that the readme needs to part of the product so that I can access from my computer and not have to come here.

My biggest grip about no readme is that more often than I care to think about I go to load something and it can't find the textures for that item. All I have to do is go to the readme file click on the file list and now I know right where to go.

But with the readme on line that will make a lot of extra work just to find a texture file that your QA missed.

Give us the readme files back daz.

And if you want the complaints to stop maybe you should start truely listening to your customers.

After all we are the ones that keep you in business.

• LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,287
    edited December 1969

yeah the whole read me thing bugs me, i use the read mes all the time, i have a short cut on my desk top to the read me folder so i can access them quickly while i work, suddenly that is pretty useless

edited July 2012

Kerya said:
    JeanneM said:

Love, Jeanne

Ehm - I hate them too.
    That said, you don't have to make them yourself.
    You can download them as a pdf
    Make sure you click on the link to the file list and save that as a pdf too
    (Upper right corner)
    I'm sorry for reacting this late. I didn't get notifications from this thread anymore.
    Thank you Kerya for trying to help but I don't like the pdf I can download, I make better pdf's myself. LOL At least, better for the purpose I need/like them. Besides, for the filelist I have to go online after all.
    For years I already changed the readme to my likes but at least I had something to start with. Now I made a template and just make my own. I could of course make a text file as readme but I liked it how they looked here, with a picture from the product and a file list in a separate folder, it pleased my "administrator" heart. ;-)

Well, I just don't have to buy new products because with the older ones the readme's are not online.... for now :coolsmile:

Love, Jeanne

Post edited by Jeanne M on
  • SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited December 1969

TMD64 said:
    And if you want the complaints to stop maybe you should start truely listening to your customers.

Ummmmm....

How long have you been around here?

ROTFL.gif
    60 x 44 - 23K
  • edited December 1969

TMD64 said:

Ummmmm....

How long have you been around here?

I've been around long enough to remember when customer service actually meant something here and not just lip service.

Which is what it has become more often then not.

And no, I don't really expect that my comments in here will make any kind of a difference.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,063
    edited December 1969

For anyone still tracking this thread - I've opened up bug # 47340 at bugs.daz3d.com as a content bug; feel free to drop by and add your comments.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    edited December 1969

namffuak said:
    For anyone still tracking this thread - I've opened up bug # 47340 at bugs.daz3d.com as a content bug; feel free to drop by and add your comments.

That may be the one I added a comment to :)

• IconicPoserIconicPoser Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

namffuak said:

Thanks namffuak for opening that report at the bugs forum. I just hope that there will be many comments from other users.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Added my voice ...

edited December 1969

me too... :-)

a little late, I know but maybe it will get some attention if the powers that be will know this is an ongoing issue.

Love, Jeanne