Computer spec : 8 Tesla K80's or 2 Tesla V100's ?

Pytha_GorasPytha_Goras Posts: 0

8 Tesla k80's (yes its possible to fit so many inside a motheboard ..who knew eh ) or 2 Tesla V100's ?

I read here  :

https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/207530513-System-Recommendations-for-DAZ- Studio-4-

that for DAZ the more CUDA cores are there ,the better

Each K80 has about 4992 CUDA cores . So 8 K80's = 8*4992 cores = 39,936 Cores .

While each V100's have 5,120 CUDA cores  .So 2 V100's = 2*5120 cores = 10,240 Cores.

However ,the V100's ALSO have the Tensor Cores !  640 each ( 1280 total ) - which I read somewhere is much better at rendering (even though less number than CUDA) !  Is this true ?

So pros of Daz ,which of them do you think I should get ?

Post edited by Pytha_Goras on

Comments

• kenshaw011267kenshaw011267 Posts: 3,805

While the mobo may have enough slots to accomodate all those cards doesn't mean even 2 Tesla's will work. These cards are meant for server hardware and have very specific requirement that cannot be met by commercial desktop HW.

You need to check with Nvidia about what MoBo's will work for the specific cards. Back in late winter/early spring another poster had a pair of Tesla's and wasn't able to get them both to work on any MoBo he had access to.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,040

While the mobo may have enough slots to accomodate all those cards doesn't mean even 2 Tesla's will work. These cards are meant for server hardware and have very specific requirement that cannot be met by commercial desktop HW.

You need to check with Nvidia about what MoBo's will work for the specific cards. Back in late winter/early spring another poster had a pair of Tesla's and wasn't able to get them both to work on any MoBo he had access to.

IIRC the issue is a shared memory space set up by Windows at startup that isn't sufficient for more than one Tesla - and the "fix" is to use Windows Server and not Windows 10 or 8.1. I may be wrong, but I think there was mention that the cpu needed to e a xeon as well.

• kenshaw011267kenshaw011267 Posts: 3,805
    namffuak said:

IIRC the issue is a shared memory space set up by Windows at startup that isn't sufficient for more than one Tesla - and the "fix" is to use Windows Server and not Windows 10 or 8.1. I may be wrong, but I think there was mention that the cpu needed to e a xeon as well.

This isn't my field so don't take this as gospel.

Nvidia said there were Mobo resources needed for multiple Tesla's that none server boards do not provide. When I looked into it it came down to the boot up provisioning of devices and PCIE resources but I couldn't figure out what was actually lacking on non server boards.

Based on my experience with server hardware you don't need Windows at all but perhaps Windows Server is the onlyWindows variant that will work. Nvidia didn't say anything about it. You certainly do not need Xeon's. We have some of the new Dell Epyc racks running Teslas.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,040
    namffuak said:

This isn't my field so don't take this as gospel.

Nvidia said there were Mobo resources needed for multiple Tesla's that none server boards do not provide. When I looked into it it came down to the boot up provisioning of devices and PCIE resources but I couldn't figure out what was actually lacking on non server boards.

Based on my experience with server hardware you don't need Windows at all but perhaps Windows Server is the onlyWindows variant that will work. Nvidia didn't say anything about it. You certainly do not need Xeon's. We have some of the new Dell Epyc racks running Teslas.

OK - I was going from memory, which is never really a good idea -- thanks for the clarification.