1070ti, 660, and nVidia drivers

So I have 2 computers, an older one with dual 660's (may be ti's, don't recall and not at home), and an newer alienware with a 1070ti.  Currently I do rendering only on the alienware for obvious reasons, and the older one is strictly for web surfing and file storage.  I have dual monitors, with the second monitor on an hdmi switch to bounce between giving me dual monitors on the alienware or single monitors on both, not that it makes much difference here.

My question is, seeing as I have absolutely no need for 2 660's in the older computer, would it be of any benefit at all to move the second 660 to the newer computer and use it just for its cuda cores to speed up iray rendering?  If so, the only driver that is available for the 6xx series is the game ready driver, not the studio driver as that's for 10xx and above only it seems.  I do use the computer for games, FO4 and the like, and haven't noticed any significant impact while gaming using the studio drivers, however it did improve my render times.  Would switching to the game ready drivers and installing the 660 be of any benefit at all?  I just hate tearing down two computers and moving the card over if I'm not going to see any improvement, or even slower speeds if I switch drivers.

Thanks!

Comments

• Check which chip the 660s use - I suspect they may not be supported in the latest versions of Iray.

• Check which chip the 660s use - I suspect they may not be supported in the latest versions of Iray.

Thanks.  Is there a list somewhere of what chip will or will not work?  I'll check as soon as I get home.

• kenshaw011267kenshaw011267 Posts: 3,805

Kepler graphic cards, the 660 and 660ti, are still supported but they are the oldest generation that are. I'd expect them to cease being supported in iray with any release.

• Kepler graphic cards, the 660 and 660ti, are still supported but they are the oldest generation that are. I'd expect them to cease being supported in iray with any release.

Thanks.  It would just be a temp fix, I plan on getting another 1070ti or better (can't afford the 2080ti for a while) to take its place, but I'm just getting into 3d rendering and don't want to spend a lot more - 1k on assets this month wiped me out :)

• kenshaw011267kenshaw011267 Posts: 3,805

I did forget to mention that the 660 likely won't improve render times much if at all. The base model is only 2Gb of VRAM. In order for a GPU to participate in a render in Iray the whole scene has to fit in its memory. 2 Gb is awfully small as far as DS scenes go.