How do I texture polygon hair?

All right. Got a question. I have been trying to make a long hair wig in Blender for Daz models. Particle sims won't work so I studied the wigs available in Daz that were free with the program and a wig by exporting them to Blender.

I got something made. Now I need to understand how to texture it. I was looking at the textures in the Runtime Library and noticed that there is this black and white specular map does this make the ends of the hair more natural looking? Because I've noticed the actual hair color is just a block of unrealistic strands yet the specular thing has actual hairs. I don't know how to explain it and I don't know if I am allowed to upload a picture of it.

My concern is that I want the hair to look as believeable and real as possible and I don't know how to get that tapered ends and the fly aways.

Also, I know basically how to do a transparency texture but it normally is using black as the transperancy color so what if I want black hair?

Comments

• The black and white image is probably a transparency map, to make the flat sheet of polygons look like it is overlapping hairs. There will probably be bump maps too.

• The black and white image is probably a transparency map, to make the flat sheet of polygons look like it is overlapping hairs. There will probably be bump maps too.

If only I could understand how the transparency map worked, lol. I bought a part one of a hair tutorial from DAZ and it gave me some ideas how to get the hair to go where I wanted while modeling at least better than what I had been doing but the tutorial really isn't a tutorial it is a "um and uh" presentation and not very planned its as if the instructor doesn't really know how she does things and hasn't used Hexagon before. It was worth the sale price to get that idea of how to use vertices and extrute them then make a mesh in order to control where the mesh was but I would have been mad to pay full price. Haven't finished the tutorial maybe there is more good stuff.

I mention it because I am thinking of buying the texturing lesson but unsure if I will get much more than basic info...I dunno.

Thank You for replying,

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151

Which tutorial?

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,674

Transparency maps just cutout shapes. Black is invisible in render, white is visible.