Back and still lost in confusion

deeahr2169deeahr2169 Posts: 449
edited November 2013 in New Users

I had thought i had solved the problems with content, but obviously i have misunderstood the information that the knowledgeable and helpful people here have given me.
I cannot seem to resolve the content despite following to the best of my knowledge the advice given to me earlier.
I have a folder which is named My Library which i copied from an earlier version of DS, this contains all my stuff arranged in a way that i like and which means i can find things easily. This worked with no problems in DS4.5. So when i installed DS4.6 i wanted to move that folder complete into the new app. I went through some hassles but eventually i got to the stage where i had the folder in the app, and could access everything in it.
Now i find that if i get new content i cannot install that into this folder. If i try using the DIM in simply creates a new folder with only the new content inside. If i try to manually install the new content i get an error message. I am relatively sure that the DIM is set up properly, and that the content directory management is also okay within DS4.6. That of course is not to say i am positive, because obviously something is very wrong somewhere and i rather suspect the main problem is the idiot typing this plea for help...
So i could do with some help please...
As an experiment i purchased the free Daz barn to try and find a solution.Screen shots are attached...

SCREEN_SHOTS.jpg
1024 x 1024 - 295K
Post edited by deeahr2169 on

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Hello again David.

I really don't see what you mean about DIM creating a second My Library folder? Where is this second 'My Library' created? The path you have entered in to the DIM looks exactly the same as the one listed in the Content Directory Manager. Is DIM creating a new folder on a different disk (or area)?

If not, then things are going into where they are supposed to go. DAZ Barn should install to My Library > Props > DAZ Farm, that is where I have it anyway.

• deeahr2169deeahr2169 Posts: 449
    edited December 1969

Hi Jimmy
    Its difficult to explain this because i get confused when terms such as a different disc or area are used. I have no idea what the question means. The path for content on my machine is documents/daz3d/studio/my library, and this where i loaded the folder from DS4.5. When i try to install the Barn, and bear in mind its only used as a test subject, a new folder is created in the same place as the existing folder with the same name...they exist together but i can only access the original my folder, not the one that was created when i tried to install the barn using DIM...
    This gets so complicated. Is there some way to start over? To delete everything and begin afresh. I know this would mean that i would need to install all my content again and that much of the content that i obtained from other sources would be lost, but i don't feel there is much choice. This would mean a huge investment in time for me, because as i understand it, totally deleting Daz is not possible. So i would need to do a clean install of the operating system and then rebuild everything i have from scratch.

edited December 1969

I don't think there is any need for these drastic measures, let's try to get to the bottom of this.

I am on a PC, but even so, computers do not allow two folders with the same name to exist inside the same main folder. You cannot have two My Library folders in the same place, it is not really possible, how would the operating system know which one you wanted?

Can you show me a screen grab of the two My Library folders in the same place, I have never heard of this happening, and I still don't see how it is possible?

edited December 1969

I am not sure if it is what it appears to be. I too thought it was impossible, here is the shot you asked for...

Screen_Shot_2013-11-28_at_20.47_.33_.png
    933 x 810 - 237K
    edited December 1969

Sorry David, you were right, I have never seen that before either.

Can I ask you to wait a little while till Totte sees your post, he is a Mac user and may be able to help with this, I am baffled. Someone will be able to help you soon.

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,624
    edited December 1969

Hello,

This looks weird but my guess is that for some obscure reason your first "My Library" and the one DIM creates are not exactly the same.
    So, to figure out what's really going on, can you try this (so I understand what's going on on your system.

Start Terminal.app - located in /Applications/Utilities
    Now type cd (and a space after it), then drag the folder Studio (that you have in /Users/davidrhodes/Documents/DAZ 3D ) onto the terminal window (it will show as the path), now hit return.

it should now have set the directory there.

Now type ls -ls and return.
    Copy the result and paste it in your reply here, that will tell me "hopefully" what has happened.

edited December 1969

Hope this si correct, never used terminal before

Screen_Shot_2013-11-28_at_21.38_.44_.png
    619 x 410 - 54K
    edited December 1969

Please copy the text (it was the right stuff), but I wanna check the next (if it's not messed up in the forum but I hope not)

Question btw, Was the first My Library created by the DS installer or DIM?

edited December 1969

Not sure what you mean, sorry. I followed your instructions. Anyway in case i made a mistake i did it again and the results are posted below.
    As for the source of the two My library folders.
    The top one is the result of using DIM to install Daz Barn
    The second one is a copy from DS4.5 dropped into Studio by me

Screen_Shot_2013-11-28_at_21.38_.44_.png
    619 x 410 - 54K
    edited December 1969

Thats the wrong screen shot but it is exactly the same as the later one

edited December 1969

Sorry, not a screen shot, select the text in the terminal window, copy it and paste it here.

edited December 1969

Last login: Thu Nov 28 21:54:40 on ttys000
    davids-imac:~ davidrhodes$ cd /Users/davidrhodes/Documents/DAZ\ 3D/Studio
    davids-imac:Studio davidrhodes$ ls -ls
    total 0
    0 drwxrwxrwx 11 davidrhodes staff 374 28 Nov 20:47 My Library
    0 drwxr-xr-x 29 davidrhodes staff 986 28 Nov 19:29 My Library
    davids-imac:Studio davidrhodes$

edited December 1969

I did the whole thing again, hope that what i posted is what you wanted..

edited December 1969

Ok, I see what it is, you have a "space" character at the end of the first My Library you created, so "My Library*space*" is not the same as "My Library", that's why you get two directories.
    So, if you do this:
    (1) Uninstall from DIM what you installed
    (2) Remove the My Library that was created by DIM (the one not containing the default install that you did first
    (3) In Finder, remove the trailing space in the My Library
    (4) Tell DS where it now is (My Library) not (My Library*space*)
    (5) Install with DIM again

Hope this works!

edited December 1969

What a difference a space makes. i actually think there were two spaces involved. Everything works, i installed Daz barn using DIM with no problem at all. My grateful thanks..i may go to bed now

edited November 2013

Well done Totte and davidahr, that is definitely something new, I wonder if that works in Windows, I hope not!

Thanks Totte for picking that up, I had to leave as my PC broadband modem was downloading masses of stuff and I wasn't doing anything. I think it was my iPad backing up or downloading the latest OS from the iCloud. I turned of the iCloud, and all seems to be back to normal. I was just worried that I had been hacked

I am glad you are fixed up again davidahr, what an unusual problem.

Post edited by JimmyC_2009 on