Old bugs still alive and well

edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I just noticed a VERY old BUG is still with C8.5 pro. Mac...

1) When I MATQUE select like to choose a while mess of keyframes in the time line Carrara crashes. One has to either select ONE Keyframe at a time which is kmpsossale it some animations. Or save then try it will crash of course reopen and try sometime it will work okay for a few time then CRASH

2) ALSO Carrara still loads up unlimited amounts of TEMP FILE in one Document area

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

When Carrara doesn't crash it cleans up the temp files except if you're using render nodes. It will clean up the local temp files, but the nodes don't clean up their own on the client machines.

If Carrara crashes. then it leaves the temp files in place because it crashed. It can't clean them up because it ended suddenly. It's not a bug, except for what causes the crash. Leaving the temp files is more of a symptom of a problem.

Not sure when the multi-keyframe issue you're having cropped up, but I use C7.2 Pro on a single processor 1.8 Ghz. PPC and I have never had the issues you have had with it. Did it start happening in C8.1? I do animations from time to time and with high geometry models and I select multiple keyframes for multiple objects and effects for retiming or copying, etc. with no issues.

• FetitoFetito Posts: 481
    edited December 1969

50% OT: How often does DAZ release patches for Carrara? DS gets updated frequently and I wonder if Carrara would get some support as well.

• Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,198
    edited December 1969

2) ALSO Carrara still loads up unlimited amounts of TEMP FILE in one Document area

Earlier today I was getting so desperately short of space on my render drive (a SSD), then I remembered to look in DAZTemp. 36 GB!!

36 GB for crying out loud. Ha ha - It's like I've got a new drive again.

At least that bug is just a case of remembering to clear it out now and again. It's the modelling crashes that cause me to shout out loud. Something along the lines of "noooooooooo!"

• edited December 1969

When Carrara doesn't crash it cleans up the temp files except if you're using render nodes. It will clean up the local temp files, but the nodes don't clean up their own on the client machines.

If Carrara crashes. then it leaves the temp files in place because it crashed. It can't clean them up because it ended suddenly. It's not a bug, except for what causes the crash. Leaving the temp files is more of a symptom of a problem.

Not sure when the multi-keyframe issue you're having cropped up, but I use C7.2 Pro on a single processor 1.8 Ghz. PPC and I have never had the issues you have had with it. Did it start happening in C8.1? I do animations from time to time and with high geometry models and I select multiple keyframes for multiple objects and effects for retiming or copying, etc. with no issues.

This was an issue for the last couple of Version of Carrara. I think someone told me it is aIssues related only to MACS! I have no idea why.

Yes I had this issue on my POWER mac as well as my MACPRO

• edited December 1969

Here are my temp file with only one crash today Is this normal?

Temp_files.jpg
    973 x 1413 - 856K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Here are my temp file with only one crash today Is this normal?

It looks to me as if you had an awful lot of test renders. ;-) If you had saved all those test renders, they would be moved out of the temp folder. You opted not to save them, so they live in your temp folder. It would be nice if Carrara flushed them when you decided not to save, but it waits to clean a lot of that stuff out when you quit. If Carrara crashes, it can't clean it out. I only have sample renders (both still and movie) left in the temp folder if Carrara quits improperly (crashes). The same thing would happen with your computer if it was shut down improperly. The only difference is that your OS has mechanisms in place to correct the issues that a system crash can cause- provided it's not a completely catastrophic failure.

How many levels of Undo do you have set in your preferences? An excessive amount can sometimes cause issues.