OT - Thanksgiving Plans

whispers65whispers65 Posts: 952
edited December 1969 in The Commons

With all of the sales and all, you'd think I'd be really excited about rendering, shopping and everything else but to tell you the truth with work and everything else I'm all "Turkied" out.

I don't have much energy or enthusiasm for anything right now. I even looked to see if I have a turkey in my runtime to drum up some interest and I don't have one lol.

So I'm missing a turkey for a turkey scene.

Hmmmm...anyone else in the same boat? Have any great plans for Thanksgiving or are you going to keep it quiet and stay at home? Quiet and stay at home is fine by me. I used to think life was boring. I'd love some boredom these days.

Comments

• glaseyeglaseye Posts: 1,305
    edited December 1969

No plans whatsoever :lol: as this is not a holliday in The Netherlands ;-P

• JUJUJUJU Posts: 1,120
    edited November 2013
    Post edited by JUJU on
  • whispers65whispers65 Posts: 952
    edited December 1969

Those would be excellent reasons not to celebrate lol.

Thank you for finding the props.

We didnt celebrate thanksgiving here at work but we do get off.

• ZelrothZelroth Posts: 910
    edited December 1969

Thanksgiving plans? Hopefully, I will be heading over to my folks with my spouse and dog so that there will be a full house of people and noisy barking. I get to see my folks new dog and hope that she and my girl get along and that my sister's small poodle won't continue to intimidate my medium sized senior dogizen. Beep! I forgot to get pies yet.

• DkgooseDkgoose Posts: 1,451
    edited December 1969

my plans are work, then attempt to go to see each of my parents, then go home and hopefully relax, unless something unplanned comes up

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

I'll be celebrating with my parents and sisters. As soon as I can pry myself away from my computer here I'll clean the house, and then I'll bake a chocolate chess pie with a coconut crust (not traditional, but since I did it once a couple of years back it's been an annual request). We also have the tradition that my Sib 2 makes cinnamon rolls for breakfast the day after Thanksgiving. She makes the best cinnamon rolls ever, especially since you can't get a Cinnabon any more (I refuse to count those miserable shriveled things they sell at Burger King, and everywhere else they're too hard and insufficiently iced). Fuseling will make the crusts for the pumpkin and pecan pies, and Mom will probably make the pies themselves. Dad will be in charge of the turkey. Mom and Sib 2 will do the dressing, potatoes, and rolls, and all of us will pitch in with the cleanup before we lapse into our food comas. There will probably be a fresh veggie/relish tray as well, but that won't stop us eating everything else, I'm afraid. ;)

With just the five of us, all adults, this is a low-stress holiday. Even if the turkey got burned or something, we'd laugh and move on, nothing is "ruined." There's no Awkward Question Hour, no mandatory football (none of us is a big fan), and no dreadful card or board games. We'll probably watch a movie or show (selected by Sib 2, who is best at finding consensus programming) and play on our idevices as we sit around the living room. The cats will get turkey treats when whoever is currently being begged for them thinks nobody is looking.

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

I'll be doing the cooking and clean up for our little family. Chocolate chess pie is also on my to do list, as is a cherry pie and an apple pie. Plus all the standard turkey and side stuff of course. My real pay off for thanksgiving is making them eat left overs for the next couple of days and not actually having to cook.

• JennKJennK Posts: 834
    edited December 1969

I'll be cooking, for my family as I do every year between my dad and my sister and her family I feed 8 in total. Ham is on the menu as no one in my family really likes turkey. Pies will be Pecan and Cherry Creme as well as lemon squares. We will all stuff ourselves then watch whatever is on TV at the time.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Plans? Cook large quantities of tasty foods, eat as much of the tasty foods as possible. Pass out in pleasure overload. Yep, got plans.

• jerriecanjerriecan Posts: 470
    edited December 1969

My plans? Go to work and get yelled at by customers who failed to plan ahead and got their water, gas and/or electricity shut off because they failed to pay their bill. Joy. :(

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,
    We're having a quiet Thanksgiving at home; two small boys (5 and 3) and my partner and I. My partner has viral bronchitis, and yet is insistent that we have the full turkey dinner, stuffing, pies, cookies, veggie platter, chips, dip, etc., etc...so my job starting when I get home from work today is going to be keeping her from killing herself to try and provide a prototypical T-day. :)

Other than that, just enjoying the long weekend, and maybe kicking off a few more complex renders to eat up my CPU time while I'm off playing with the kids.

-- Morgan

• SylvanSylvan Posts: 2,684
    edited December 1969

Also a dutchy here, so no plans...I'd love to have one though...

edited November 2013

Khory said:
    Chocolate chess pie is also on my to do list, as is a cherry pie and an apple pie.

Aha, I sense that you are a person of great taste and discernment. Mine is cooling on the rack right now. Coconut crust got a little scorchy around the edges, but it's still filling the house with delicious smells.

Post edited by SickleYield on
  • gingercakes47gingercakes47 Posts: 382
    edited November 2013

Don't have much of a plan since I don't live in the US any more. My sister always calls me to make sure I'm celebrating the "right" Thanksgiving, though. Will probably watch some Thanksgiving related programs.

Post edited by gingercakes47 on
    edited December 1969

Hmmmm...lots of delicious pies....my personal fave for whatever reason is pumpkin pie. I only eat it at Thanksgiving and Christmas.

I don't cook. My stove doesn't work good so I made a trip to Luby's (cafeteria) and got Turkey, Dressing, and pumpkin pie. Not the best but it will do.

• SlimerJSpudSlimerJSpud Posts: 1,453
    edited December 1969

I get to cook. %-P I roast a fresh turkey in the oven, but without stuffing. I also make pie. I make Pumpkin Chiffon pie. Once you've had pumpkin chiffon, you'll never go back to traditional pumpkin pie again. Chiffon is much lighter than regular pumpkin. No less sugary tho. I have cut back to about 3/4 the sugar from the recipe. It's an old family recipe, but there are plenty of similar pumpkin chiffon recipes on the web. Here's one that is almost the same, except that I use brown sugar in the filling and beat the egg whites with white sugar:

http://www.splendidtable.org/recipes/pumpkin-chiffon-pie

edited December 1969

I get to cook. %-P I roast a fresh turkey in the oven, but without stuffing. I also make pie. I make Pumpkin Chiffon pie. Once you've had pumpkin chiffon, you'll never go back to traditional pumpkin pie again. Chiffon is much lighter than regular pumpkin. No less sugary tho. I have cut back to about 3/4 the sugar from the recipe. It's an old family recipe, but there are plenty of similar pumpkin chiffon recipes on the web. Here's one that is almost the same, except that I use brown sugar in the filling and beat the egg whites with white sugar:

Sounds fantastic, especially with a ginger snap crust. I'd be worried about the raw egg whites, though? I guess if you have a known "safe" source for eggs.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,383
    edited November 2013

I always do the cooking for the holidays for the whole family. Tomorrow we have a roasted turkey, mashed potatoes, slow cooked sweat potatoes, stuffing, corn, and cranberry sauce

Post edited by frank0314 on
    edited December 1969

Sounds fantastic, especially with a ginger snap crust. I'd be worried about the raw egg whites, though? I guess if you have a known "safe" source for eggs.
    Been eating pumpkin chiffon since I was little, never had a problem. I think the timing is key. Most recipes say let the pumpkin mix cool completely, but since my Mom was always pressed for time, she said to fold in the beaten egg whites while the pumpkin mix is still somewhat hot, so the whites do get partly cooked. I'm on a Gluten-free diet, so I've been putting my serving into a custard dish, but this year, I actually found Gluten-free graham cracker crusts! I make the pies the day before. They need about 4 hrs in the fridge to set. The gelatin is the secret ingredient. Makes a nice firm filling, even tho it's so much lighter than baked pumpkin.

I make whipped cream in a machine. Put a small spoon of powdered sugar and a dash of vanilla into the machine with 1/2 pint of heavy whipping cream, fire the NO2 cartridge into it, shake 3 times, and presto! the best whipped cream. My Mom always bought canned whipped cream when I was a kid, but since I discovered the machine, I won't go back to that either.

edited December 1969

Been eating pumpkin chiffon since I was little, never had a problem. I think the timing is key. Most recipes say let the pumpkin mix cool completely, but since my Mom was always pressed for time, she said to fold in the beaten egg whites while the pumpkin mix is still somewhat hot, so the whites do get partly cooked. I'm on a Gluten-free diet, so I've been putting my serving into a custard dish, but this year, I actually found Gluten-free graham cracker crusts! I make the pies the day before. They need about 4 hrs in the fridge to set. The gelatin is the secret ingredient. Makes a nice firm filling, even tho it's so much lighter than baked pumpkin.

I make whipped cream in a machine. Put a small spoon of powdered sugar and a dash of vanilla into the machine with 1/2 pint of heavy whipping cream, fire the NO2 cartridge into it, shake 3 times, and presto! the best whipped cream. My Mom always bought canned whipped cream when I was a kid, but since I discovered the machine, I won't go back to that either.

Mmmm. That sounds amazing.

edited December 1969

My younger sister lives in Lyon, France. She always tries to duplicate our traditional Thanksgiving family dinner in France. She says it's really hard to find canned pumpkin in France. :lol: At Christmas, we usually have a re-run of Thanksgiving dinner, including the pie. Sometimes we do something different for Xmas, like prime rib, honey baked ham, or crab. I've never baked a ham. I buy those. I'd buy live crabs and cook those. I prefer crabs steamed Baltimore style, which is what I remember as a kid. In Baltimore, they have Blue Crabs, which are tiny, but very sweet. The Dungeness crabs out here in California are much bigger. Apparently, we're having a good season this year. OK, I think that's the plan of record, Christmas crab! :-P

• Paula SandersPaula Sanders Posts: 321
    edited December 1969

That coconut crust sounds great. Would you give me the recipe.? I seem to add semi sweet chocolate chips to everything. I added them to a pumpkin pie and now a restaurant where we go a lot and share recipes has made it also.

We will go to a sort of family gathering. It's simple and unpretentious. Then back to the computer since I have work I need to do.

edited November 2013

batesyboy said:
    That coconut crust sounds great. Would you give me the recipe.? I seem to add semi sweet chocolate chips to everything. I added them to a pumpkin pie and now a restaurant where we go a lot and share recipes has made it also.

We will go to a sort of family gathering. It's simple and unpretentious. Then back to the computer since I have work I need to do.

Here's the ratio I used: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/coconut-crust/

One, I used about 3x this recipe to make a deep-dish pie in a round single-layer cake pan, and two, I didn't bake as they suggest, I just poured the chocolate chess filling in and baked according to the other recipe's directions. The exposed edges got very toasty because I didn't use a protector over them, but otherwise it turned out wonderfully.

Post edited by SickleYield on
  • Paula SandersPaula Sanders Posts: 321
    edited December 1969

Thanks, Sickleyield and happy thanksgiving. I never thought of a coconut crust. I will try it with my choc cip chess pie recipe.

edited December 1969

batesyboy said:
    Thanks, Sickleyield and happy thanksgiving. I never thought of a coconut crust. I will try it with my choc cip chess pie recipe.

Come back and tell us how it turns out!

• islandgurl31islandgurl31 Posts: 250
    edited December 1969

We have a house full of family and nieces and nephews...lol. We are having turkey, duck, musubi (rice with spam wrapped in nori and seasoned with teriyaki sauce), ham with pineapples, fried rice ( I make this myself and it don't last long...lol. I also make my own lo mein :-) ),pumpkin pie,etc... :-)! I also have to plan a B-day party for my son (his birthday was 11-26... he will be 11). Then on 12-05-2013 we have to plan my daughters 7th b-day, so yep we are gonna be busy bees....sigh. I hope everyone has a wonderful and robust Thanksgiving :-).

edited December 1969

Typically for me it's Turkey on Thanksgiving and then Ham on Christmas and New Years.

I never heard of Chocolate Chess Pie. I'll have to look it up unless someone wants to send me a piece. :)

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

I never heard of Chocolate Chess Pie.

A properly made chocolate chess pie is almost creamy on the inside with a really nice crunchy layer over the top. It is actually a very old fashioned and easy pie to make. One year we had a couple of my sons friends living with us and after I made it for Thanksgiving it was requested so often I finally taught one of them how to make it himself.

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=resources/lifestyle_community/food/recipes&id=5985711

• Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Posts: 1,145
    edited December 1969

When I wake up after the pain medicine I'm taking wears off I'll:

Stay home most of the day watching the Blue-Ray Criterion Collection of Zatoichi films that got released yesterday which I grabbed while they were 50% off.

At around 2 or 3 drive to a restaurant that has a buffet and get dinner.

Go visit a friend who had an aneurism, over a year ago, who is now stuck in a wheelchair and can barely move.

Stop and use the Wi Fi at a coffee shop and do any online stuff that can't wait a day or two.

Head home and fix dinner for the elderly relative. Which will take about 30 minutes as I just have to cook one thing and reheat everything else.

Watch either some more Zatoichii films or start reading the complete English translation of the Bansenshukai I picked up the other day along with the films.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,383
    edited December 1969

As my wife wife and her family says. Happy turkey day, gobble gobble