Save Scene as Asset Folder

edited November 2013 in Product Suggestions

Hi

I would like to see the ability to save a scene as an asset folder, in Daz Studio

Game Engines such as Unity3d use asset folders.

The asset folder would contain everything used in a scene, including textures, models, stock etc

By using an asset folder, I can simply save my scene as an "Asset folder" and everything used in this scene will be backed up into this folder.

This way if I wanted to work on a small project on another computer, instead of needing to move my entire runtime folder, I could simply save scene as "asset folder" and move this folder onto the other computer

We would still use runtime as normal, but have the option to save a scene as an asset folder, and everything used in scene is backed up into this one folder.

Would this feature be of interest ?

Thanks

Post edited by darkstudios_6334537e08 on

Comments

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,191
    edited December 1969

I'm not sure you're talking about Carrara, but it does offer the "Save All Internally" option, which includes textures.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

A Scene .duf will load perfectly fine on another PC (DAZ Studio here) as long as both PC's have matching content and directory structure. That is what DUF was designed for and the reason for a single content folder. I have swapped files on PC's many times.

• edited December 1969

Hi

Forgot to mention, this feature was for Daz Studio.

After working on multiple projects for awhile my runtime folder is over 20gb. Which means to backup a scene I need to backup the entire runtime folder every time I make a change to 1 scene.

If all scenes could be saved as asset folders, I could easily backup each scene individually and all content for that scene will be in the one folder. Now if I wanted to work on a small scene on another computer I can simply copy the asset folder rather than having to copy my entire 20gb runtime folder.

With this current method of saving my runtime folder is only going to get bigger and bigger as I create new projects and update old ones.

Thanks

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Misunderstood the concept from word go. I'm sorry about that.

• edited November 2013

Hello

Content gather plugin appears to be the feature I was looking for.

Thankyou for the link.

Be great if this was a default feature in Daz Studio

:)

Post edited by darkstudios_6334537e08 on
    edited December 1969

Okay, the topic is Daz Studio, got it. But just out of curiosity, does the "Content Gatherer" for Poser & DS do anything more than the Carrara "Save All Internally" option? AFAIK I can open that saved *.car file on any machine that has Carrara installed, i.e. no other files have to be on the machine - Poser Runtimes, textures, etc. Haven't tested it ...
    :-/

• edited December 1969

Hi

As far as I can tell "content gather" will still maintain a folder structure of files. Example: /runtime/poses/t-shirt

Whereas the Carrara "save internally" binds all stock used into one file, like Photoshop does with PSD

Thanks

edited December 1969

iceman69 said:
    ... the Carrara "save internally" binds all stock used into one file, like Photoshop does with PSD

Thanks

I think that's correct, thanks. I'm also thinking that's what I prefer, not sure the directory structure adds much.

• edited December 1969

Hi

One benefit of retaining a folder structure would be the ease of editing textures, poses and other items.

Thanks