June 2019 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Scenes and Landscapes

Comments

• WinterMoonWinterMoon Posts: 1,893

in the scene panel there are "EYES" if you click one that is open it closes and hides whatever it represented its a quick way to place stuff you want later and hide it until needed or the opposite.any chance you happened to click one by accident?

I really doubt it. There's only one single "eye" for the whole landscape. If you close that, it hides everything. indecision

• sueyasueya Posts: 826

Here's version 4 of my image

I have finally managed to get the feet into the stirrups

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,802
    TigerAnne said:

in the scene panel there are "EYES" if you click one that is open it closes and hides whatever it represented its a quick way to place stuff you want later and hide it until needed or the opposite.any chance you happened to click one by accident?

I really doubt it. There's only one single "eye" for the whole landscape. If you close that, it hides everything. indecision

Can you check it the surfaces of the set are in iray or in 3delight?

Linwelly said:

They're Iray.

Anywhooo, this is my entry. I cheated like a plebeian, and used a premade scenery. blush But hey, I got the candles to light up! 

TigerAnne said:
    Linwelly said:

They're Iray.

Anywhooo, this is my entry. I cheated like a plebeian, and used a premade scenery. blush But hey, I got the candles to light up! 

So all the visibility switches in the parameters are on "on"... this still puzzles me but I don't own the set, so tough one to reproduce.

Ok about the new one, I like the idea of a path of lights but even on my bright screen this is a bit too dark to see more than the lights themselves, so a tiny amount of background light would help this one (thinking that a blue tint would emphasise the warmth of the lanterns maybe?)

• dtrscbrutaldtrscbrutal Posts: 473

@sueya Use this for a reference.

Not an entry.

Example.jpg

@sisyphus1977xx That is some very nice work you have done, and excellent improvements to both images. Surfing cyborgs, awesome! smiley

@richardandtracy_e725004c1a That is really coming together! I think your planned improvements are the right way to go. I look forward to seeing your final version. 

@dragoneyes002 That is a really nice piece of detail work. Great job of layering it together from the view out the windows to the foreground. Excellent use of reflective surfaces and lighting too!

@ariochsnowpaw Thank you very much! 

@TigerAnne I have no idea what is causing your winter scene problems, but I think your new scene is very nice.
     I love the reflected light in the water, that looks great! I agree with Linwelly that overall the scene needs more light. I suspect a camera setting adjustment would help, and/or a fill light.

I have managed to manipulate the foot so it is going through the stirrup. I doubt I will have much time to do more work on this image so this will be my final entry. 

• Sisyphus1977Sisyphus1977 Posts: 305

@TigerAnne you might want to adjust the Tone Mapping settings within the Render Settings tab to lower the Exposure Value (EV) to get more overall light in the scene.  For my night scene, I lowered the EV to a little less than 12 (11.61) from the default of 13 by changing some of the key values.  I was targeting using an EV of about 11 by lowering the f/stop from the default 8 to 5.6 and shutter speed from 1/125 default to 1/100.

Linwelly said:

So all the visibility switches in the parameters are on "on"... this still puzzles me but I don't own the set, so tough one to reproduce.

Ok about the new one, I like the idea of a path of lights but even on my bright screen this is a bit too dark to see more than the lights themselves, so a tiny amount of background light would help this one (thinking that a blue tint would emphasise the warmth of the lanterns maybe?)

I'm suspecting it must have been a random glitch. Similar stuff has happened in computer games I've played, and at least once before in DS. I'm going to try brightening up the picture, and see if it makes it in time. x)

I have no idea what is causing your winter scene problems, but I think your new scene is very nice.
     I love the reflected light in the water, that looks great! I agree with Linwelly that overall the scene needs more light. I suspect a camera setting adjustment would help, and/or a fill light.

Thanks! :) I'll try to make a brighter version.

you might want to adjust the Tone Mapping settings within the Render Settings tab to lower the Exposure Value (EV) to get more overall light in the scene.  For my night scene, I lowered the EV to a little less than 12 (11.61) from the default of 13 by changing some of the key values.  I was targeting using an EV of about 11 by lowering the f/stop from the default 8 to 5.6 and shutter speed from 1/125 default to 1/100.

I did that, so let's see how things turn out. Thanks for the tips! yes

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,045
    edited June 2019

NOT AN ENTRY

It looks not too bad on my screen :) I took it into IrfanView and used Auto-adjust colours to see how it would look.

Click on image for full size.

tiger-anne-001.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 2M
    Post edited by Fishtales on
    Fishtales said:

I took it into IrfanView and used Auto-adjust colours to see how it would look.

Cool! I think the new version will only be a little darker than that. I hope!

TigerAnne said:
    Fishtales said:

I took it into IrfanView and used Auto-adjust colours to see how it would look.

Cool! I think the new version will only be a little darker than that. I hope!

What I meant to say was the original looks fine on my screen, although I don't think it came across that way. What I did notice is that the scene needs to be rendered longer as it is grainy and has a few fireflies that are noticeable in the adjusted image.

hm if it turns out like Fishtales tweak it will be fine, I didn't even notice there were children in the original :D

Linwelly said:

hm if it turns out like Fishtales tweak it will be fine, I didn't even notice there were children in the original :D

Might be time to re-calibrate your monitor :)

• sueya said:

I have managed to manipulate the foot so it is going through the stirrup. I doubt I will have much time to do more work on this image so this will be my final entry. 

for your own if you don't want to submit it:  zoom in a little bit to cut down some on the plain lawn in the foreground or add a few plants that break the edge of the picture

• Sisyphus1977Sisyphus1977 Posts: 305

I am going to call this challenge done and these are my final versions of the two scenes.  Just very minor changes from the prior versions. 

Moonlight Kiss FINAL.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 4M
    Surf's Up FINAL.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • edited June 2019

This is a scene in Daz Studio 4.10 and Photoshop CC2019. The background and lighting is an open source IBL. This was rendered in DS Iray. Other than the object the foreground woman is lifting, everything in the scene is a Daz Studio asset and the postwork took less than half an hour. This is part of an illustrated story I've been posting in my Daz Gallery since early May. I've been messing with Daz Studio for a while but I haven't really felt that my images were good enough to post until earlier this year. I feel like I learn something everytime I create a scene in DS.

Post edited by Chohole on

Right. So, here's a newer version. This isn't the final one, the hopefully finally acceptable version is still rendering. There's also a somewhat lighter version between this one and the one that's cooking, which I'm not even going to bother showing you. You're not losing out on anything, and this one at least has a bonus fox, which didn't really add anything much. I can't get rid of all the fireflies, sob-sob-baw-hawww! After I painted over them on the one girl's outfit I just noped out, because there's a new version coming anyway.

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,123

This is my final entry for the challenge, and it has the background sky coloured in.

The ground is a terrain .obj created from a height map of the knife edged hills around Chicken in North East Alaska. The ground texture was a hue modified version of the standard Asphalt texture. The ground model is shown from my own finite element modeller. There are two cloud sheets, made from photos I took by the simple means of lying on my back in the garden. These two models are also  shown. I modelled the fuselage in SolidWorks, and it's shown in its 10m (33ft) long entirety. In generating the models I used three of my own C++ programs (a Finite Element Modeller, a STLtoObj convertor and a HeightMap to OBJ program). It's fun making and using your own tools..

There are two areas I'm not entirely happy about in my entry, but have no way of doing anything about it. These are:1) Pixellation on the text of the cargo plane name. This is due to my photo editor (PaintShopPro 5) not being able to make text bigger than 72 point, so the biggest possible texture map for the plane skin was 1000 pixels while having the correct size text. If I could have gone to 4000 pixels, and 280point then the text would have had many more pixels and far fewer jaggies. 2) As a consequence of using a small size terrain, much nearer the camera than it appears, means that the bottom right corner is within the focus zone of the camera, when it should be out of focus.

The figure is Adam Thwaites' Jenny. The Eagle is his freebie Eagle model. The Figure's clothes are OOT's Mega Wardrobe super jeans and camisole top, with Seema Hair.

It has been informative working on the challenge, and I now have tools that will be useful in the future.

Regards,

Richard.

Fuselage2 R05.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    Terrain.jpg
    1663 x 800 - 90K
    Lower Cloud Sheet Model.jpg
    1663 x 800 - 69K
    Upper Cloud Sheet.jpg
    1663 x 800 - 69K
    Fuselage Model.png
    1459 x 894 - 1M

Having seen the Tutorial in the 'Art Studio' forum by Chris_2599934 titled 'Tutorial: Adding Atmosphere with a Depth Canvas', I modified the image with a bit of distance fog, and my revised entry is attached.

Regards,

Richard.

Fuselage2 R05a.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    edited June 2019

I managed to find the time to add a few more grasses in the foreground so this is definately my final version

Post edited by Chohole on
  • skinklizzardskinklizzard Posts: 218

I ran out of time and didn't get round to try everything I wanted, I tried upping the light of the lava a bit but had to remove the fog somewhat.

Anyway I've learned a fair bit about what I can achieve with a displacement map, so here is my final version.

laval Final.png
    1600 x 1000 - 2M

@sisyphus1977xx You have done some great work this month. Both are very nice images!

@acecombs_b317c01b8d I think you did a great job making the scene look like a dig site. The "dirt" work on the figures is very well done, posing and expressions too.

@TigerAnne I love the light and shadows in your image! Very good composition work with the figures too.

@richardandtracy_e725004c1a That is an impressive piece of work, building all your own scene pieces like that. Very cool stuff! I will definitely check out the tutorial you mentioned, thanks for that.

@sueya You totally nailed the foot position, nice work! I am glad you found some time to do more work with your image, the added grass helps fill in the empty space. Good job!

@skinklizzard Very good improvement! I really like how the light falls on the set objects and brings up your foliage work. Very good use of DOF too!

• sueya said:

I managed to find the time to add a few more grasses in the foreground so this is definately my final version

huge progression from the first well done! looks much much better and more natural

edited July 2019

Final version, with the tiny amount of postwork I had time for. I hate it. laughlaughyes See you all in five minutes or so, for the next challenge.

Edit: I'm half asleep, and it's Dragon Cave that Midnights at 6am GMT+1, not DAZ.

Post edited by WinterMoon on

Quote: "Having seen the Tutorial in the 'Art Studio' forum by Chris_2599934 titled 'Tutorial: Adding Atmosphere with a Depth Canvas', I modified the image with a bit of distance fog, and my revised entry is attached."

Now I'm not on a tablet & am on a real computer, I can now post a link to the tutorial: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/334586/tutorial-adding-atmosphere-with-a-depth-canvas#latest

Regards,

Richard.

This challenge is now closed!

Thanks a lot everyone, this was interesting.

See you all soon in July challenge

• DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,819
    edited July 2019

June 2019

Showcased Participants for the June Landscape Render Challenge

Mindscapes and Dreamscapes

Given to the person who created a landscape that had a dreamlike or ellaborate quality to it.

The New User we felt best showed that this month was bastian2560

The images have been resized to fit in the page. Click to enlarge.

You Had to Be There
    Given to the person who created a landscape that instantly transported you into its world.

The New User we felt best showed that this month was acecombs_b317c01b8d

The image has been resized to fit in the page. Click to enlarge.

There's No Place Like Home
    Given to the person who created a landscape that seemed realistic and made you feel its someplace you could really visit.

The New Users we felt best showcased that this month were dragoneyes002

This image has been resized to fit in the page. Click to enlarge.

New User Welcome

richardandtracy_e725004c1a and skinklizzard

And a special thank you to ariochsnowpaw this month. We had other participants contact us to say how helpful and lovely you were and that is really what the New User Challenge is all about so thank you for being so lovely and helpful to everyone smileyheart

bastian2560.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 108K
    acecombs_b317c01b8d.jpg
    2200 x 2135 - 2M
    dragoneyes002.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 618K
    richardandtracy_e725004c1aB.jpg
    1000 x 1294 - 143K
    richardandtracy_e725004c1a.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    skinklizzard.png
    1600 x 1000 - 2M
    ariochsnowpaw.jpg
    3840 x 1440 - 276K
    Post edited by DAZ_ann0314 on
  • DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,819

Thanks so much to everyone that participated! As always you guys made it really hard to choose smileyheart