Extracting parameter settings from corrupted .dufs

JBlackwellJBlackwell Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

I created a scene with an M4 figure, and kept several .duf files of that scene before uninstalling daz 3D. I later reinstalled the same version and the file won't open anymore with the following syntax error in log:

Syntax error - expected ‘{’ or ‘[’Error reading file, see log for more details.

After some research, it appears there is no clear or reliable solution to restoring the .duf file at this point. The scene is not important, but the figure's body parameters were very specific and I need to reproduce them exactly. Is there a comprehensive way to extract the parameter values for the figure in that scene from the duf file?

I've tried viewing the .duf file in notepad ++ and it's gibberish.

Thanks

Comments

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    edited November 2013

Files saved as .duf are, by default, compressed using 'standard' compression - most zip packages will open and uncompress the file for you.

Post edited by SimonJM on
  • JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

The DUF is a plain text file, and if you are seeing gibberish, it is because it is compressed.

Use WinRAR or WIN Zip or some other zip package to view the DUF in a normal text editor.

• JBlackwellJBlackwell Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I tried 7zip and winrar just now and both of them indicate that there are no extractable archives in the several duf files I tested. Any ideas?

edited December 1969

I have no idea why that wouldn't work, unless of course, that they are plain text files to begin with?

Some are saved as compressed, some aren't, you are usually asked when saving the file I believe.

• JBlackwellJBlackwell Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks for all the help. The .dufs I recovered came from a deleted partition, which was restored through special software. In addition, all of those .dufs' associated .png snapshots are also corrupt. I just saved a new .duf scene and it extracted properly, so it's clear the old files themselves are corrupt (which is odd because their size, date modified, icons, and default opening application are all intact). Unfortunately, I'm very sad to say it appears I won't be able to restore any of my older files.

edited December 1969

Sorry to hear that, it is a real pain.

Someone here may have had the same experience, and there may be some way to deal with it, but I can't think of any.
    Let's hope you get some good news, and let us know if you get any further.

Best wishes.