Carrara Challenge #47: Structured/Unstructured...or "Unstructured Structure"

Comments

• Persona Non GrataPersona Non Grata Posts: 1,365
    edited March 2021

Post edited by Persona Non Grata on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,085
    edited June 2019

Even More Freebies!

Another quick logon and logoff.  Will come back later this afternoon and catch up.  Meanwhile, here are some more freebies.

Formula objects.  Remember that great formula website in the French language? Carrara portion http://gianp.free.fr/carrara/indexcarrara.html

Main site  http://gianpf.free.fr/indexzips.html

I added parameter settings to a few of their formula objects. You can now adjust or animate the p1 and p2 values to get some fun structures.  See attached zip file.

Selina - great progress on your updated lego model.  I modeled the 1 by 1,lego model then used duplicate / delete edge / bridge as a start for the others. I have a few extra loops as braces for the edges so can be used with smoothing on.  That is why I have those unnecessary extra edge loops in the middle of the 2 by 3, etc.

zip
    zip
    Formula French Adjusted zip.zip
    Formula French Adjusted AA JPG.jpg
    640 x 480 - 11K
    Formula French Adjusted BB JPG.jpg
    640 x 480 - 19K
    Formula French Adjusted CC JPG.jpg
    640 x 480 - 18K
    Formula French Adjusted DD JPG.jpg
    640 x 480 - 16K
    Formula French Adjusted EE JPG.jpg
    640 x 480 - 16K
    Formula French Adjusted FF JPG.jpg
    640 x 480 - 9K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • wscottartwscottart Posts: 431
    Mystarra said:

structure could be archvis ?

haven't dusted off the old asbru crossing in half a decade, laugh

anything glows lights need idl and or caustics on? cant remember.  brain farting.  

So weird, I was just playing with this model a few days ago and experimenting with kalidescope for iray on it. Created some interesting depth.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,085
    edited June 2019

@Mystarra - terrain/cloud is such a good idea.  I will have to experiment.  

@Stezza - first cordless drill looks just like the first (failed) attempt at the first dental tool.  Excellent. 

@Selinita - love the Fluffy Tetraparody.  How do you imbed these posts?  render to GIF format?  Post somewhere else and link?  I there a way to attach directly to the post?  Your legos are getting very efficient.

Post edited by Diomede on
    edited March 2021

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234

Thanks, TP Lightdomes is what I used for that with Carrara's realistic sky, I had to tone down the blue a fair bit for that.. you can't get them anymore I don't think from the store.. I think they were extincted.

the best lighting domes for Carrara, I use them for 99% of my renders with slight adjustments here and there. I dunno how new users can get them now frown

Thanks, TP Lightdomes is what I used for that with Carrara's realistic sky, I had to tone down the blue a fair bit for that.. you can't get them anymore I don't think from the store.. I think they were extincted.

the best lighting domes for Carrara, I use them for 99% of my renders with slight adjustments here and there. I dunno how new users can get them now frown

Well there is this

https://www.sharecg.com/v/30481/gallery/5/3D-Model/Light-Dome-presets-for-Carrara-6

Ok, thanks for the info Stezza and Wendy. If they are similar, I have rolled my own in the past but I guess I never combined a Light Dome with the Realistic Sky. I did an experiment a while back where I compared Realistic Sky vs render passes and post effects, but never tried with a light dome with Realistic Sky. This sheds some light on the subject, thanks. (See what I did there...cough cough)  wink

Selinita said:

..I am convinced you are a professional photographer Selinita.

laugh No! But thanks - that's made my day.

On the subject of coloured shadows: I had a go experimenting a while back here.

Ah, that looks familiar Selinita, thanks for the link. I'll have to give that a try. The only downside is having to use GI and Indirect Lighting? Still, way cool find!!

Well there is this

https://www.sharecg.com/v/30481/gallery/5/3D-Model/Light-Dome-presets-for-Carrara-6

Il will soon upload a new plugin that allow to create light domes from HDRI.

So, so cool Philemo. I quickly the post where this is now available. Super awesome, thank you!

Mystarra said:
    Selinita said:

Terrains as cloud generators ...

The shader needs alpha to punch some holes in it (unless it's a dark stormy cloud scape)
    Click to enlarge

SETTINGS:

• Colour - something predominantly grey (add a splash of colour for fun!)
    • Alpha - Cellular: Fractal, very large scale (use transform of [overall] 128 as a starter and set lower limit to punch holes in it
    • Bump - Cellular: Fractal, normal scale for added interest
    • Glow - Be subtle to make them stand out

looks good!

+1 yes

Selinita said:

Did you know that tetrapods are used as a barrier to the sea as they interlock and don't move, even in the face of tsunami waters...

Here are my Tetraparodies in fuzzy felt (don't ask!)

Mystarra said:

its all better fluffified

fluffy dice, fluffy emu, hairy tomatoes, hairy cavemen

Cool! Yes, I agree, better fluffy, but not sure about hairy tomatoes...

More Freebies!

Great additions by all.  Will have to comment later.  Have just enough time to post some freebies.

Meanwhile, in honor of our host, DesertDude, here are some building blocks for our structures.  Build something spectacular.

These are great examples of over-modeling.  Could easily assemble some cube and cylinder primitives, but the underneath?

In any case, here are some awesome structural pieces, because everything is awesome!

See attached zip file.

Everything is awesome.

Thanks Diomede for more freebies!! I'll have a look later today.

Selinita said:

Ooooh! Great book. William Vaughan is a genious - I love his software agnostic approach to modeling. Another book you and anyone here might be interested in is his "Pushing Points Topology Workbook". It is specifically about topology and making all quad models. Focus is on how to get out of trouble when you model yourself into a corner...of triangles, ngons and all the other horrid places you can suddenly find yourself when the goal is an all quad model.

Yes, I'm learning a lot. I would like the book you mention too, but it's not available in a digital format that I know??? One thing I've learned so far is to just have a go - how else will I improve?

Yes, I agree. You're making great progress on your lego blocks! Can't tell you how many times I have started a model, ended up seeing a train wreck, start over, train wreck, start over...

Even More Freebies!

Another quick logon and logoff.  Will come back later this afternoon and catch up.  Meanwhile, here are some more freebies.

Formula objects.  Remember that great formula website in the French language? Carrara portion http://gianp.free.fr/carrara/indexcarrara.html

Main site  http://gianpf.free.fr/indexzips.html

I added parameter settings to a few of their formula objects. You can now adjust or animate the p1 and p2 values to get some fun structures.  See attached zip file.

Selina - great progress on your updated lego model.  I modeled the 1 by 1,lego model then used duplicate / delete edge / bridge as a start for the others. I have a few extra loops as braces for the edges so can be used with smoothing on.  That is why I have those unnecessary extra edge loops in the middle of the 2 by 3, etc.

Thank you Diomede!

edited June 2019

Works pretty good Selinita. Lots of room for tweaking and learning for me trying to balance the influence of the different light types.

color_shadow_test_001.jpg
    640 x 480 - 11K
    background_screen_shot.jpg
    232 x 310 - 30K
    Post edited by DesertDude on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

re watching a marathon of cripeman tutorials.  

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited June 2019

Soggy Bottom Drama

My first thought when presented with the idea of "Unstructured Structure" was the Soggy Bottom product from TangoAlpha.  The structure part of his scene is impressive, including multiple replicated tree and terrain surfaces, which means loading and saving are super fast.  The unstructured part is more the illusion he creates by making the scene appear to be somewhat wild and haphazard.  It's a wonderful product and I can't recommend it highy enough.

The goal here was to highlight the wilder potential of his product.  It is a darker evening scene, using the GMIC filters to help give it a more abstract or painted look.

The GMIC filter stack was this, top to bottom:  Colors>Basic Adjustment, Artistic>Anguish (more about this filter in the next render), Artistic>Highlight Bloom, Colors>Basic Adjustment, Patterns>Canvas Texture.  Five filters in all.  A big shout of appreciation to Philemo for bringing GMIC to Carrara.  I can never thank him enough.

Products besides Soggy Bottom include "Crocdile" from Carrara objects, Black Widow Spider, Noggin's Dragonflies, Giant Fantasy Snake, and The Girl (original Girl).

No postwork.

Soggy Bottom Drama.png
    1800 x 1013 - 3M
    Soggy Bottom setup.JPG
    1662 x 928 - 499K
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
    edited March 2021

edited March 2021

Mystarra said:

re watching a marathon of cripeman tutorials.  

A bunch of super awesomeness there smiley

edited June 2019

Soggy Bottom Drama

UnifiedBrain said:

> My first thought when presented with the idea of "Unstructured Structure" was the Soggy Bottom product from TangoAlpha.  The structure part of his scene is impressive, including multiple replicated tree and terrain surfaces, which means loading and saving are super fast.  The unstructured part is more the illusion he creates by making the scene appear to be somewhat wild and haphazard.  It's a wonderful product and I can't recommend it highy enough.

I think you achieved your goal of making a darker evening scene. It...glows smiley

Thanks for the workflow using GMIC filters.

"Unstructured Structure" indeed!

Thanks for the explanations

Edited to add: there are a lot of details there!

Post edited by DesertDude on
    Selinita said:

I'm done with these bricks for now...

It certainly was an interesting challenge, one thing I learned is that it needed careful planning. Modelling with SubD can be unpredictable, shall we say(?)

If those are your finished lego blocks - awesome!!  Yeah, SubD modeling usually needs, well, all stiuations are unique.... But what I have found is, model with no SubD, and if the no SubD holds up to SubD...your are close. I.e, toggle back and forth....so long as the initial 'cage' holds up and you don't pull vertices way, way out ...Agh, of course that's not always true, like all 3D stuff we do...

time for bed here...

wscottart said:
    Mystarra said:

structure could be archvis ?

haven't dusted off the old asbru crossing in half a decade, laugh

anything glows lights need idl and or caustics on? cant remember.  brain farting.  

So weird, I was just playing with this model a few days ago and experimenting with kalidescope for iray on it. Created some interesting depth.

wscottart - Is the model compatible with Carrara?  Carrara has many feartures to render a sense of depth.

Cheers!

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,815
    edited June 2019

ok... I thought I'd get on the lego modeling wagon as well... laugh

using cubes and cylinders for my model.

Lego break up.png
    640 x 480 - 126K
    Lego Pain.png
    640 x 480 - 191K
    Post edited by Stezza on
    edited March 2021

edited March 2021

edited March 2021

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,767

Unstructured - Fall of Rome, with the collapse of worldwide civilisation "Mad Max" gangs take over fighting for diminishing resources.

Great concept Bunyip! And I'm already digging the lighting. Nice!

Thanks

World's First Cordless Drill     cool

Superb !!!

Diomede, Selina, Stezza - loving the variations on Lego bricks

UB - excellent use of Soggy Bottom, love the Dragonfly's

wscottart - got time to join in the fun ?

Misty - Cripemans great - often rewatch his videos

edited June 2019

Structured - Island Butte Cafe by mmoir, sadly no longer available as it is a very nice scene

The building has great architectural structure which was used in the render to indicate a very structured environment.

Butte Island 1.png
    2269 x 1042 - 614K
    Butte Island 2.png
    1600 x 1230 - 2M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on