Help with installing 4.6

deeahr2169deeahr2169 Posts: 449
edited December 1969 in New Users

Having had some problems with the new operating system for Apple and the new version of DS 4.6 and not being able to resolve things, i decided that i needed to do a clean install of the OS and then do the same with Daz.
Its a big job even if i had managed to back everything up. but of course I'm human, so i forgot a few things. Since then i have installed Daz and found that my content has gone missing. I have deleted Daz again and would like to try and install it , but i am not certain which method i should use.
I thought the best way would be to avoid wherever possible anything that might be corrupted. So at this moment i am sitting here with no Daz or DIM installed. Can anyone tell me the best way to proceed to install everything, should i start by installing the DIM or 4.6

Comments

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,517
    edited December 1969

Hello,

first off, I've been running DS 4.6 on Mac OS X 10.9 for a few months and haven't experienced any problems, but the milage may vary. I helped to set up a friends system last week on 10.9 and it went without a hitch, I was not even there, I helped him over iMessage chat, nothing else.

There were a few things that could "slip", most noticeable the ContentManager Database system.

So, the basic steps you should follow are:

(1) Download a fresh DIM 1.0.1.108 as it has fixes for the known issues with OS X 10.9 and installations.

(2) Configure DIM so it will installs Content where you want it. If you know where you want it, add that destination of Content, then drop the default one (which sometimes is different from the one DAZ Studio thinks it is, if you have your old preferences from the old DAZ Studio still laying around in your system. My recommendation here is that you use /Library/Shared/DAZ 3D/My Library or if you have a separate disk for it, /Volumes//My Library, or you can of course use the default suggestion fro DIM.

(3) Now install DAZ Studio and the plugins, that location is default setup in DIM.

(4) Now install content, start with the Essential

(5) Now start DAZ Studio and configure the content Contanr Library - pane and the little top menu Content Library Manager. Tell DAZ Studio where you decided to put the content. If you need help there is info in this thread.

(6) When you are confident and DAZ Studio find your content in the content librray, move on and install your purchased content.

(7) Now you can check in DAZ Studio of your "smart content works", if not, you might need to look in the thread I pointed to above for help but it should work.

Yell if you have problems and sing if you are all ok ;-)

• deeahr2169deeahr2169 Posts: 449
    edited December 1969

Thank you for the help which i appreciate very much. I can sing now. However i had to slightly modify your advice regarding the configuration of the DIM. The path that daz uses to install is User/documents/studio/mylibrary. With only the DIM loaded and no copy of 4.6 that path is not available, it may be possible to type it in anyway, not sure and didn't try. So i went ahead and installed DS 4.6. I then configured the Dim to this path, User/documents/studio/mylibrary, although it was set to the default path which appears to be /Library/Shared/DAZ 3D/My Library, the same as that you suggest in your advice above. Then i selected what i wanted to load from the DIM and let it run until all that content was loaded and i found it without any problem.
    I may have another question regarding this but for now i am a little shell shocked so i will leave well enough alone for a while.
    Thank you once more and please tell me what sing you would like to hear…. -:)

edited December 1969

Good news!

And yes, the default paths are a little weird sometimes and depends on what you had before (what DIM and DS finds in old prefs files and what the defaults are), but you solved the riddle ;-)

• deeahr2169deeahr2169 Posts: 449
    edited December 1969

Actually you solved it and if you hadn't given me advice my machine would be the subject of serious violence by now. Thank you once more

edited December 1969

That could be a rather cool render (No actual computers were harmed during the rendering of this image) ;-)