difference between mac and pc content?

EleleElele Posts: 1,097
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Hello,

is there a difference between the downloaded content for mac and pc?
I have a pc, but I see that the mac content comes as zip files (pc files not available as zip). So can I download the mac files instead of the pc ones? Will everything still work correctly & be placed in the right folders?
It's only for content, not for programs.

Thanks,
Elele.

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

The Zip files for Macs have Mac installers in them, so that won't work. The products that have been updated to zips without installers only have one version. In the early days Mac items were different (no separate image for the icon), but nowadays the content is identical.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,734
    edited December 1969

If there are a Mac zip and a Windows .exe then the zip is just a wrapper for the Mac installer, it doesn't hold bare content.

Butt o answer the question, the only difference will be older items where the Windows version has a .rsr for thumbnails and the Mac has them in the resource fork. Newer files, except for plugins and applications of course, will be cross platform.

• EleleElele Posts: 1,097
    edited December 1969

Ok, thanks... Off to download and install entire history :ohh:

• EleleElele Posts: 1,097
    edited December 1969

Alright, ready for dumb question 2.
    Some old content got updated with metadata. Where am I supposed to put it?

Metadata is for the "smart content" tab in ds4, no?
    I install my "ds4 only content" in the default ds4 folder and all other content in a ds3 folder. I installed the old content in the ds3 folder and tried to put the metadata in both the ds4 and ds3 folders, but the content still doesn't show up in the "smart content" tab. So what am I supposed to do with it? And what does it do exactly?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,734
    edited December 1969

In almost all cases you don't need to run the metadata installer if you run the main installer. If you do run it, point it to the same location as the main installer - DS takes care of adding the data to the database when it asks what you want to do on the next launch..

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

The metadata gets installed to Runtime:Support, it can go in any Runtime folder, DS3 or DS4 (as long as DS4 has both listed). If there's an installer, it will also put an entry in the Roaming folder so that when DS4 starts it prompts you to Import the new metadata. If you're placing it manually, you have to go to Content Library > Options Menu > DB Maintenance > Re-Import Metadata and select the new items to import the new metadata.