Default Daz Runtime location

Hey everyone! So I apologize if this has been answered before but I've searched and I can't seem to find the answer. 

I recently reinstalled Daz on my computer, and since my local hard drive is kind of full (and slow) I decided to make an external drive hold the main Runtime which contains all of my content. Some content, however, like the Daz content that is created at installation like base Uber shaders and that kind of thing were installed into the 'default' Daz runtime. 

At some point, I must have removed that default runtime from my content library. I would like to re-add the default Daz runtime to my content library but I don't know where it's stored.

Can anyone help me figure out where, in a normal default installation of Daz, the default content runtime is located?

Thanks for any and all assistance!

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,736

You could always reinstall the content to the current location. The default for DIM is /Public Docuements/My Daz 3d Library/, the default for Connect is (I think) /Documents/Daz 3D/Studio/My Connect Data/

• SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384

Most content for DAZ Studio is placed in a default location on your hard drive called My DAZ Library or something like that. That folder also contains a runtime folder to hold all the Poser format files. However, some content that is required for the basic functionality of DAZ Studio is placed in separate folders in your DAZ Studio installation folder. The latter include shaders, scripts, plugins, etc. These contain the basic files that DAZ Studio expects to find there, as opposed to the majority of your 3D content which is accessed through the Content Management Service. So basically, anything necessary for DAZ Studio to load properly at startup is in the DAZ Studio installation folder, and all other content is in your content library. You should not move any of the files (as you did) which were in the DAZ installation folder (which I am guessing you now know). Without knowing exactly which folders you moved and where you put them, it is very difficult to give you advice on how to put them back.

The simple solution is not one I normally give for many reasons, but, without knowing exactly what you did, folder by folder and file by file, the best way to restore everything is to re-install DAZ Studio. That will not, of course, remove any of those files belonging to the program that you moved to your content library. Personally, I would want to clean that up as well.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

Re-installing Studio generally will not fix content problems.

• Blacky13Blacky13 Posts: 67
    SixDs said:

Most content for DAZ Studio is placed in a default location on your hard drive called My DAZ Library or something like that. That folder also contains a runtime folder to hold all the Poser format files. However, some content that is required for the basic functionality of DAZ Studio is placed in separate folders in your DAZ Studio installation folder. The latter include shaders, scripts, plugins, etc. These contain the basic files that DAZ Studio expects to find there, as opposed to the majority of your 3D content which is accessed through the Content Management Service. So basically, anything necessary for DAZ Studio to load properly at startup is in the DAZ Studio installation folder, and all other content is in your content library. You should not move any of the files (as you did) which were in the DAZ installation folder (which I am guessing you now know). Without knowing exactly which folders you moved and where you put them, it is very difficult to give you advice on how to put them back.

The simple solution is not one I normally give for many reasons, but, without knowing exactly what you did, folder by folder and file by file, the best way to restore everything is to re-install DAZ Studio. That will not, of course, remove any of those files belonging to the program that you moved to your content library. Personally, I would want to clean that up as well.

Thanks very much for the thoughtful answer. What you described is basically what I wound up doing. I use Daz as part of my professional workflow so I have to wait until I am between gigs but I am going to completely blow away/reinstall and then make a more informed choice as to where to store content and which folders to delete. 

Thanks again!

jestmart said:

Re-installing Studio generally will not fix content problems.

Thankfully, it seems to have fixed this one!

Thanks for your reply!

You could always reinstall the content to the current location. The default for DIM is /Public Docuements/My Daz 3d Library/, the default for Connect is (I think) /Documents/Daz 3D/Studio/My Connect Data/

Thanks for the reply, that's what I did and it seems to have done the trick!