Polyhedral Dice

edited December 1969 in Product Suggestions

It may sound strange, but I would like to see someone create a set of props of Polyhedral Dice. These are the multifaceted diced used in role-playing games. Considering that there a sizable number of gamers (people who play role-playing games) and people who use rendering programs (Daz and Poser) are the same, it would be a good project for development. Especially for those artist/gamers who are also writers who need original images of dice to include in the books they are writing/selling.

If anyone has any doubts as to what Polyhedral Dice are, a quick search on a search engine will give the answer.

I know there is at least 1 free product out there (no numbers on them and they do not look that realistic), but I feel there is a niche for a least one vender to sell these as a product.

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited July 2012

I found this Set http://www.sharecg.com/v/29400/browse/5/3D-Model/Polyhedral-Dice they will need UV mapping I belive and textures but this will import into DS and Poser. The others I found were Carrara only.

EDIT: I see that you have seen this set, just ignore this post.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    I found this Set http://www.sharecg.com/v/29400/browse/5/3D-Model/Polyhedral-Dice they will need UV mapping I belive and textures but this will import into DS and Poser. The others I found were Carrara only.

EDIT: I see that you have seen this set, just ignore this post.

:) Sorry, but yes, that the the set I was referring to. I would not even know where to start when it comes to adding a texture to a mesh. I am a complete novice in this respect.

You mentioned others for Carrara. I have Carrara 5. If they would work in that I would be interested to see them. But TBH, I would seriously be prepared to pay for dice as a professionally made/sold as a prop for Daz/Poser.

Thanks for the post :)

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,972
    edited December 1969

*rubs her chin, goes hmmm* Let's see if I can cook up something...

• edited December 1969

Skiriki said:
    *rubs her chin, goes hmmm* Let's see if I can cook up something...

Let me know if you can. It would be greatly appreciated. :)

edited December 1969

Sorry I missed a post or two. Here is the link to the Carrara set. Have fun. I'm going to keep an eye on Skiriki I have a few of her items.
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/58269/browse/5/3D-Model/Carrara-Role-Playing-dice.

edited December 1969

Sorry, I've been distracted by a battle with Wyvern 2.0. ;) (Somehow got the idea that reskinning the thing is the way to go. FYI, my attentionspan is that of a gnat. But, I haven't forgotten this.)

edited December 1969

Skiriki said:
    Sorry, I've been distracted by a battle with Wyvern 2.0. ;) (Somehow got the idea that reskinning the thing is the way to go. FYI, my attentionspan is that of a gnat. But, I haven't forgotten this.)
    You want my texturing tip? Hint it involves a origanial texture (not UVmap) and layers.
    edited December 1969

Oh, I was going to go through shader route there, with bump maps for numbers and color for those areas... I imagine it would look AWESOME with Fisty's and Marieah's shaders when they become available. GEMSTONE dice. Literally.

• edited December 1969

:)
    Beautiful dice. Unfortunately I think they are non-commercial only
    :(
    But thanks for the link, greatly appreciated.

Jaderail said:
    Sorry I missed a post or two. Here is the link to the Carrara set. Have fun. I'm going to keep an eye on Skiriki I have a few of her items.
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/58269/browse/5/3D-Model/Carrara-Role-Playing-dice.
  • edited December 1969

:) :) :)

Skiriki said:
    Oh, I was going to go through shader route there, with bump maps for numbers and color for those areas... I imagine it would look AWESOME with Fisty's and Marieah's shaders when they become available. GEMSTONE dice. Literally.
    edited December 1969

I am, btw, slowly working on it. I have all basic die shapes done, save d10, UV mapped etc, and I just have to find enough energy to get off my duff and finish 'em.

edited December 1969

Thank you Skiriki, I'm sure many more users will find a use for a nice set than just us three.

edited December 1969

Ah, I'm a RPG nerd, I actually had considered this for a while so... working on 8-sider now.

• edited December 1969

Skiriki said:
    I am, btw, slowly working on it. I have all basic die shapes done, save d10, UV mapped etc, and I just have to find enough energy to get off my duff and finish 'em.

Many thanks. I will happily wait. :)

• edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Thank you Skiriki, I'm sure many more users will find a use for a nice set than just us three.

Agreed. With the sheer volume of images sold in a certain RPG e-book site (not to mention artwork inside books) that use Daz Studio and/or Daz models, I imagine there will be a fair few users out there. :)

edited December 1969

Sneak peek: this is not final. I am not pleased with 1024x1024 map, so I will up it to 2048x2048 later. The shader is one that belongs to Supersuit, so no, you won't get this, but a bunch of basic surface and ubersurface settings which will be easy enough to tweak for your needs. When all is done, you'll get 2048x2048 maps, presets, objects, and .psd UV map file for your own editing needs, and oh, licensed under Creative Commons, so you can modify, share and use in whatever manner you please.

However, overall pleased with how it came out, and how I did not mess up UV maps this time.

8-sided_die_sample.png
    634 x 601 - 280K
  • edited December 1969

Skiriki said:
    Sneak peek: this is not final. I am not pleased with 1024x1024 map, so I will up it to 2048x2048 later. The shader is one that belongs to Supersuit, so no, you won't get this, but a bunch of basic surface and ubersurface settings which will be easy enough to tweak for your needs. When all is done, you'll get 2048x2048 maps, presets, objects, and .psd UV map file for your own editing needs, and oh, licensed under Creative Commons, so you can modify, share and use in whatever manner you please.

However, overall pleased with how it came out, and how I did not mess up UV maps this time.

Looking great :) Thank you very much. Looking forward to seeing the final product :)

edited December 1969

OH Snap!! Great work Skiriki, makes me feel bad I have not got back into my project for you. I'll PM you about that tomorrow. I'm waiting on my meds to work after I over did it today.

And Thank you Druw for brining this up, Skiriki is my goto person for nice quick props. I can see a D&D game in my render future.

edited December 1969

What, like the Avengers playing a game of D&D? ;)

edited July 2012

Ohhkay. I have 8-sided die done. It did turn out pretty sweet! That's the good news.

The bad news, sortakinda, is that I am running DS4.5 these days only, so the die has been saved in .duf format, which is NOT compatible with 4.0 or older. Yes, you can get 4.5 for free, and it is Pro version. Just that, if you have plugins, they haven't been updated to it yet, save for a handful of more important ones. (I have no plugins, so I decided to go with 4.5, since its autofit and other features are MUCH better than 4.0's.)

The neutral news is that you are, of course, free to convert and redistribute (as long as you attribute the original to me) my dice.

Please read the readmes and the general FAQ of my site. :)

8-Sided Die!

8-Sided.png
    800 x 800 - 196K
    Post edited by Skiriki on
    edited July 2012

And 6-sided die joins the fun. Next, Fudge die.

Edit: A quick headsup -- I may need to tweak the material presets for the dice; bump values may not be as advertised for all of them. They are, however, fully functional.

Downside: it will be much later today, 'cause right now I need to go and kiss a bottle of something stern inside 'cause I've been dealing with my mom's brand of crazy and it depresses me.

Post edited by Skiriki on
    edited December 1969

{{{HUGS}}} Skiriki for the Mom thing. Give's them a GIBBS head swat (NCIS) for using DS4.5. I got plugins. Pouty face here.

• edited December 1969

Skiriki said:
    And 6-sided die joins the fun. Next, Fudge die.

Edit: A quick headsup -- I may need to tweak the material presets for the dice; bump values may not be as advertised for all of them. They are, however, fully functional.

Downside: it will be much later today, 'cause right now I need to go and kiss a bottle of something stern inside 'cause I've been dealing with my mom's brand of crazy and it depresses me.

Many Many thanks for the work you have put in on this. Grabbed the d8 and d6. Will install them as soon as I update from 4.0 to 4.5. Need to check out which plugins do not work before I do though. Not got many, and I cannot see me using them in the immediate future, so may just go ahead with an update :p

Take your time. Understand life can get in the way of things like this. One of the reasons I have been away from the forums for a short while. Happy to wait for them to be done. Very grateful for the work done.

:)

• HALELUJAH!!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!

I thought I would be the only damn person nutty enough to want 3D Dice models... But NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

So glad I found this forum post... You do not now what this means to me seriously!!!

I am a beginer with Daz so rely on models I have already bought or free models from ShareCG etc... But even with them, there are ideas I have wanted to create and others I have wanted to breathe new life into... But NEEDED some Polyhedral Dice Models!!!!

Once I have my creations and re-imaginings done, I wil post a link to them - Or the images (I will have them on my DevaintART account, but will also posts here!)... THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,220

There are these available here at Daz as part of a game master's tool set

http://www.daz3d.com/game-master-s-tools