Saved pose: can't get rid of the facial expression [ Solved ]

Blind OwlBlind Owl Posts: 501

Some time ago I saved a full-body pose in which the character is grimacing in anger (see screenshot).

Now I want to use the pose without the grimace, but I can't figure out how to get rid of it. All expression morphs—eyes, mouth, brows, visemes, etc.—read zero, but still she's grimacing. "Zero Figure Pose" resets everything, including the face, but "Reset Selected Item(s) Pose" (with only the head selected) does nothing. Even "Zero Figure Shape" doesn't get rid of it.

I tried re-saving the pose minus the head. Same thing. Applying other facial expressions produces truly grotesque results.

No doubt this question has been asked and answered many times before. If so, I haven't been able to find the threads.

What am I missing?

Image1.jpg
1474 x 1064 - 267K
Post edited by Blind Owl on

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,152

Could it be the individual facial bones that have been posed? Those bones are sometimes hidden in the Scene pane interface. Try turning on Show Hidden Nodes in the Scene pane context menu and see if any of those bones have been posed, then zero them out.

• Blind OwlBlind Owl Posts: 501

Thanks! I tried your suggestion but didn't see anything out of the ordinary or anything to correct (not that I'm 100% sure what to look for). I also tried re-saving the pose after unchecking "Hidden Morphs" along with "Head", but that didn't help either.

It seems strange that "Zero Figure Pose" works when "Zero Selected Part(s) and "Zero Figure Shape" won't. Guess I'll just have to rebuild the pose from scratch…and add the grimace later.wink

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

Can you upload the pose so I can take a look?

Very kind of you to offer! Rebuilding the pose from scratch won't be a lot of work, but I would be curious to know what's up with this one. Maybe you can make sense of it. Thanks!yes

duf
    duf
    Fight pose bottom G3F.duf
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,139
    edited May 2019

I had a little time on my hands so I took a look at your pose - quite a lot of the facial bones are at non-zero values, so these are the ones you need to zero. If you click on the "Head" node in the scene panel then right click and "Expand from selection" you should see all the bones listed. I've attached a cut-down version of your pose file showing the bones you need to zero - some bones have more than one non-zero value, others just one - I hope you can figure out what the text is saying. You can either do each one individually, or just select the Head bone and all it's children then do Zero Selected Items Pose.

You also seem to have a non-zero value in the Eyes Up/Down parameter which you can zero in the Parameters tab using Pose Controls for the Head.

ETA: I see you said that "Zero select items pose" was not working for you? I have no idea why it wouldn't, but setting the bone translation values should certainly work. For each bone listed, you need to selectc that bone in the scene pane then go to the Parameters tab and in the "General" section set the non-zero values to zero in the x/y/z translation and x/y/z rotation parameters.
    Don't forget to resave the pose when you are done.

txt
    txt
    FightPoseBottomG3F Bones List.txt
    Post edited by MelanieL on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited May 2019

Here's the pose.

When you save the pose, unchecked pose controls related to the head, and the bones of the face. If you have baked it into the figure already and saved the character/pose you'll need to load a new G8F, apply the pose then resave it with the head pose controls and the bones unchecked. Alternatively you can restore the backed figure back to default and do the same thing.

duf
    duf
    Fight1.duf
    Fight1.duf.png
    91 x 91 - 11K
    Post edited by Serene Night on
  • Syrus_DanteSyrus_Dante Posts: 983
    edited May 2019

The way you tried to use "Reset Selected Item(s) Pose" with only the head selected is not how it is intendet to work. But you where pretty close to suceed, you could reset all facial bones if you select the head node in the Scene pane and then right-click Select Children to have all head bones including the face expression bones selected and then use "Reset Selected Item(s) Pose".

It is uncommon that an facial expression just poses the facial bones, more common is a control property saved under pose controls - expressions that is moving the facial bones. A pose control slider like an expression should also be declared as Type: Modifier/Pose in the Paramerter Settings otherwise Daz Studio doesn't reset it with "Zero Figure Pose".

Post edited by Syrus_Dante on

Aha! The light finally dawns! Thanks to barbult, Serene Night, MelanieL, and Syrus_Dante, I've learned what was wrong and how to fix it.

Your help is much appreciated.smiley