Anyone else seeing crashes when using the Dynamic Cloth control with the latest DAZ 4.6 release?

VanguardVanguard Posts: 481

It is very consistent for me sinc3 Michael 6 and the DAZ update were installed. I can't use any dynamic cloth and that is making me very unhappy.
I haven't seen anyone else mention it but before I go through the torture of submitting a bug reoprt I was wondering if anyone else has seen this or a thread on it?

Post edited by Vanguard on

Comments

• Cayman StudiosCayman Studios Posts: 1,134
    edited December 1969

I have just run a quick drape of the three-part 50's Cocktail outfit on V4 and it seems OK to me. Perhaps you could give a little more information about what clothing you are using and what is happening.

I did have some crashes with it last week, but that seems to have had something to do with the Dynamic Sheet and is discussed in this thread:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/32296/

You do not mention it, but there was also an update to the Dynamic Clothing Control on the same day as the DAZ update. If you use this control and have DIM you should have got it.

• VanguardVanguard Posts: 481
    edited December 1969

Hi, thanks for replying. I saw your post last week and I don't think it is the same problem.

I have the latest plugin and DAZ, installed them through DIM the night M6 came out, this is the fully enabled plugin and it is green in the plugins screen.

At first I was trying to use the Dynamic Karate jacket on M6, crash
    Then I tried just the Karate Jacket with no other figure in scene and no crash
    Same with a Genesis 1 figure, crash when draped on figure, no crash if no figure.
    I tried the G2F dynamic cloth on Gia (g2f) and get an immediate crash when draping.
    Lastly I tried the scarf from the dynamic shape set with the same result.

The problem you mention in the other thread I have seen off and on through many versions of the plugin. Last time I saw the cloth was falling through v4 as if it wasn't there, even though I had collision set for many of her parts. I realized I didn't have collision set for the top node in her tree and once I set that the cloth collided without a problem.

edited December 1969

Unfortunately I don't have any of the clothes you mention, so a direct comparison isn't possible. I have tried a couple of the Optitex freebies (Tokyo and Hanoi) on Genesis and G2F, again with no problem. Perhaps you could try one of those and see what happens.

• SimonWMSimonWM Posts: 924
    edited December 1969

Vanguard said:
    Hi, thanks for replying. I saw your post last week and I don't think it is the same problem.

I have the latest plugin and DAZ, installed them through DIM the night M6 came out, this is the fully enabled plugin and it is green in the plugins screen.

Same with a Genesis 1 figure, crash when draped on figure, no crash if no figure.
    I tried the G2F dynamic cloth on Gia (g2f) and get an immediate crash when draping.

The problem you mention in the other thread I have seen off and on through many versions of the plugin. Last time I saw the cloth was falling through v4 as if it wasn't there, even though I had collision set for many of her parts. I realized I didn't have collision set for the top node in her tree and once I set that the cloth collided without a problem.

Vanguard it would help a lot if you open a ticket for QA. I have them looking at a couple issues (with newer items) and have e-mailed a link to your post in the forum but I know for sure they need a report, you may file it as instability of dynamic clothes in DAZ Studio 4.6XX. I have similar results with the plugin versions 1.3.1.17 and the latest 1.3.1.33. For now I am freezing my simulations to make sure I protect my work. I hope the next version will fix this. Thank you.

edited December 1969

Thanks Simon. I will try to get a report made soon. I think I have narrowed it down a bit. If I use the Genesis 2 male or female figures without any morphs, such as V6 or M6 then I can drape your dynamic teddy without a crash, but if I use straight M6 or V6 it crashes immediately.
    I will repro it a few more times and file a report.

edited December 1969

Vanguard said:
    Thanks Simon. I will try to get a report made soon. I think I have narrowed it down a bit. If I use the Genesis 2 male or female figures without any morphs, such as V6 or M6 then I can drape your dynamic teddy without a crash, but if I use straight M6 or V6 it crashes immediately.

Yes, I concur. I've just tried to drape the Hanoi dress on V6 and DAZ crashed. But G2F worked OK. So there is definitely an issue with the new generation morphs in the DCC. >:(

edited November 2013

Vanguard said:

That is weird. I have been using Michael 6 for hours working on promos with 6 dynamic items on scene and items drapes without crashing. Also had a go at Victoria 6 with the lingerie and works fine too. I've had some crashes but nothing reproducible, the latest while using the wind gizmo to manipulate the draping but this sort of crash I even had in Studio version 3 while pushing the system too much maybe. I'm in Windows 7 Pro, using DAZ Studio 64 bit pro 4.6.1.33 with its Optitex plugin 1.3.1.33. Please check that both your DAZ Studio and plugin are up to date.

Version 1.3.1.33 of the plugin feels more stable than 1.3.1.17, (haven't need to freeze the simulation for now). They are looking at it so hopefully the next version will be more stable.

Post edited by SimonWM on
    edited December 1969

Simon, I have Windows 7 Home Premium, DAZ Studio 4.6.1.33 Pro 64-bit and the Dynamic Cloth Plugin 1.3.1.33.

I don't have any V6 Dynamic Clothing so I can't test those but I've run some tests using some V5 Dynamic Clothing (Basic for V5 - Optitex freebie, and Dynamic Flirty Dress for DS), and each time V6, when loaded as V6, crashes. However G2F, using the V6 Shaping morph, works OK. Teen Josie 6 also works OK, though the clothes are too big for her!

I don't have M6, but G2M seems to work OK also.

edited December 1969

Cayman said:
    Simon, I have Windows 7 Home Premium, DAZ Studio 4.6.1.33 Pro 64-bit and the Dynamic Cloth Plugin 1.3.1.33.

I don't have any V6 Dynamic Clothing so I can't test those but I've run some tests using some V5 Dynamic Clothing (Basic for V5 - Optitex freebie, and Dynamic Flirty Dress for DS), and each time V6, when loaded as V6, crashes. However G2F, using the V6 Shaping morph, works OK. Teen Josie 6 also works OK, though the clothes are too big for her!

Hmm so the crash happens if you load the character directly but if you load G2F and then apply the character it doesn't.

edited November 2013

SimonWM said:
    Cayman said:

Hmm so the crash happens if you load the character directly but if you load G2F and then apply the character it doesn't.

Correct. :gulp:

I've just tried directly loading another character based partly on V6 (Norma), and she works with dynamics OK too. So, so far only V6 herself seems problematic.

EDIT: Also interestingly, when applying the Imogen shape to a loaded V6, the dynamics work OK.

Post edited by Cayman Studios on
    edited December 1969

I don't have the flirty dress but I have PM Khory, maybe she can try to test it and confirm it happens to her too.

edited December 1969

Vanguard said:

I just tested the Karate Jacket on Michael 6 and no crash. I also made sure of loading the character Michael 6 and not G2M but it performed stable. Did an animated drape. see picture.

Karate-Jacket-on-M6.jpg
    1920 x 1038 - 456K
  • KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

Ok so.. I've been testing this this afternoon and no crashes. Not a crash with v6 loaded as v6, not a crash on v5 or genesis 1 or g2f. So as far as seeing things crash I am no help at all. What I do know is that the version I currently have installed is 1.3.1.17 and my program version is 4.6.1.17. The other thing that I know is that DIM has a version of the the plug in that is "ready to install" but that failed when I tried to install it because it didn't have the proper install location or something like that. I have a luxus in the same state and I have just been putting off asking on the boards how to sort it.

So..What inquiring minds want to know is! Why is my dynamics even working if I am using an old and in theory out of date version of the plug in. If mine is the correct version why do I have one stuck in DIM? Is the issue with the newer version I have not gotten installed? Discuss!

edited November 2013

Khory you should try it with DAZ Studio 4.6.1.33 and the Dynamic Cloth Plugin 1.3.1.33, that is the newest public build released Nov 11, I think. I just tested the Karate jacket that the OP was having trouble with the latest version but it works fine for me. The person having trouble with your dress is using the latest version.

Post edited by SimonWM on
    edited December 1969

Khory said:
    Ok so.. I've been testing this this afternoon and no crashes. Not a crash with v6 loaded as v6, not a crash on v5 or genesis 1 or g2f. So as far as seeing things crash I am no help at all. What I do know is that the version I currently have installed is 1.3.1.17 and my program version is 4.6.1.17. The other thing that I know is that DIM has a version of the the plug in that is "ready to install" but that failed when I tried to install it because it didn't have the proper install location or something like that. I have a luxus in the same state and I have just been putting off asking on the boards how to sort it.

So..What inquiring minds want to know is! Why is my dynamics even working if I am using an old and in theory out of date version of the plug in. If mine is the correct version why do I have one stuck in DIM? Is the issue with the newer version I have not gotten installed? Discuss!

Khory, the versions you have are what I had before M6 and the updates to DAZ, the plugin and the Genesis Essentials that cam e with him. You are one version behind us I think. Everything DCC was working in that version for me. Very very stable, even with wind added, for me.

I am getting the immediate crash with

Dynamic Cloth Plugin - Control
    DAZ 3D, Inc/OptiTex
    Version:

And DAZ 4.6.3.33 64bit
    all on windows Ultimate 64bit

I tried what Cayman mentioned and I don't get a crash if I apply a shape morph to the base Genesis 2 F/M models. But if I use M6 or V6.

edited December 1969

I'm thinking even if Khory and I do not get the crash, the fact that you both are getting these crashes when loading the characters directly deserves a bug report. We receive beta versions of the figures and even though most of us buy the final version like everyone else to keep with the updates, maybe the bug was introduced later and our files might not be exactly the same since uninstallers not always clean up everything. The best person to test should be a QA person with a system prepared for this task.

edited December 1969

SimonWM said:
    I'm thinking even if Khory and I do not get the crash, the fact that you both are getting these crashes when loading the characters directly deserves a bug report. We receive beta versions of the figures and even though most of us buy the final version like everyone else to keep with the updates, maybe the bug was introduced later and our files might not be exactly the same since uninstallers not always clean up everything. The best person to test should be a QA person with a system prepared for this task.

Of course thanks for trying it out Simon and Khory.

edited December 1969

An interesting development: all my previous tests here have been using the Single Frame drape, which is how I usually start, just to settle the clothing in. But I have just loaded V6 and run the drape of the Flirty Dress in Animated mode - no crash!

edited December 1969

Cayman said:
    An interesting development: all my previous tests here have been using the Single Frame drape, which is how I usually start, just to settle the clothing in. But I have just loaded V6 and run the drape of the Flirty Dress in Animated mode - no crash!

Super catch! Yep, same for me! I was just writing up my report, I will add that to the puzzle. Thanks Cayman!