Simulation: fabric rigidity

When setting up a surface for simulation, it would be nice to be able to have more control over fabric rigidity  general setting or a rather ham-handed approach of painting on a texture by hand. Imagine if one could load a rigidity map or an image map representing a pattern of tensile strength or stretchiness? 

Comments

  • LenioTGLenioTG Posts: 1,078
    Rakuda said:

    When setting up a surface for simulation, it would be nice to be able to have more control over fabric rigidity  general setting or a rather ham-handed approach of painting on a texture by hand. Imagine if one could load a rigidity map or an image map representing a pattern of tensile strength or stretchiness? 

    I'm following your thread!

    I have the same problem when I try to create a dForce blanket starting from a primitive plane: it remains very rigid.

  • barbultbarbult Posts: 11,641
    LenioTG said:
    Rakuda said:

    When setting up a surface for simulation, it would be nice to be able to have more control over fabric rigidity  general setting or a rather ham-handed approach of painting on a texture by hand. Imagine if one could load a rigidity map or an image map representing a pattern of tensile strength or stretchiness? 

    I'm following your thread!

    I have the same problem when I try to create a dForce blanket starting from a primitive plane: it remains very rigid.

    You probably didn't specify enough divisions when you created the plane. 

  • RakudaRakuda Posts: 581

    In this way an opacity map could be combined with a simulation tensile map to create a simulation of something like lace or mesh  without it being completely dependent upon geometry... just an idea. That way parts that were visible could be one tensile strength, and parts invisible could perhaps move more freely.

    @LenioTG I would agrree with @barbult  on that one. I tried that with a blanket in the past and learned that I needed more divisions to fall correctly.

    :)

  • LenioTGLenioTG Posts: 1,078

    @Rakuda @barbult Thank you very much: that was the problem!! :D

    Since you know much more than me, may I ask you how to apply the blanket shader to the other side too? Do I have to create a cube instead of a plane?

    And how to not simulate it in the future simulations? Do I just remove the dForce modifier?

  • barbultbarbult Posts: 11,641
    To stop Simulation but keep the simulated shape, freeze simulation in the Parameters pane.
  • Syrus_DanteSyrus_Dante Posts: 956

    @LenioTG

    This was often discussed it seems you need to use Shader Mixer.

    Forum google search: "site:daz3d.com double sided material"

  • JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,297

    There are also two products that do two sided materials. I have Oso's and it works well.

     

  • Syrus_DanteSyrus_Dante Posts: 956

    I also saw this bottom thread, single sided faces may also have some interesting applications.

    Iray Single Sided Faces?

     

    @Rakuda

    I know iClone does all weightmaps for cloth simulations like this with greyscale texture maps. Was impressed as I saw those iclone youtube tutorials back then. I can see some creative benefit of editing weightmaps in an image editor. On the other hand it is not very precise because without an UV template also loaded into your image editor you have no idea how the image will affect the mesh in cloth simulation. The ability to interchange the maps with different patterns independently from the mesh may be a bonus but this system seems to rely on propper UV coordinates.

    iClone 6 Tutorial - Soft cloth Behavior & Weight Maps

     

    In Daz Studios dForce simulations to control the influence you paint the weight maps directly on the mesh vertices with the Node Weight maps Brush tool. Open the Tool Settings and you get alot of options for brush Sensitivity, Inner/Outer Radius I mean Point Size the inner green and the outer red circle is much like a soft edge brush in photoshop, but instead of black&white in DS you paint the red-blue gradient directly onto the 3D mesh. Then with Respect Selection checked you can also create masks with the selection from the Geometry Editor. Those selections can be faces, edges and vertices that you can also save for later editings into Selction Sets. If you also convert the mesh to SubD you will also have smoother weight maps.

    Anyway, would be nice if you could convert b&w images to weight maps. Someone could possible do this with a script. I mean look what mcasual did here: mcjtailorschalk with this script you can use DS primitives as booleans to generate opacity maps for clothes.

  • LenioTGLenioTG Posts: 1,078
    barbult said:
    To stop Simulation but keep the simulated shape, freeze simulation in the Parameters pane.

    Thank you!!! :D

    @LenioTG

    This was often discussed it seems you need to use Shader Mixer.

    Forum google search: "site:daz3d.com double sided material"

    Thank you for all of this material! :)

    I think I'll try to create a streched parallelepiped!

     

    JonnyRay said:

    There are also two products that do two sided materials. I have Oso's and it works well.

     

    Thanks :D

    I don't think I'll buy them, because I don't see any other way I could use them in my workflow!

Sign In or Register to comment.