Combining a primitive plane to object with joints...

I was wanting to make tape, like duct tape, that could be wrapped around things.  I have a rope I got from one of the packages online that has a lot of joints and thought about combining a plane scaled down to the size of tape, flatten the rope, and then merge them together so I could have wrap-around tape.  Is there a way to do that?  Or is there an easier way to do it?

Comments

• SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384

There are a number of ways to accomplish what you are wanting.

Option 1: If the object that you wish to have wrapped is UV mapped, you could simply use a texture template for the object to create a duct tape texture map that could be applied to the surface to give the appearance of being wrapped. If the object is not UV mapped, you could possibly create a tileable duct tape image that could be applied. A photograph of strips of duct tape would be a logical way to create the image maps.

Option 2: Create an actual duct tape prop as you have described and virtually wrap it around the object. Depending upon the size of the object and its complexity, this will be by far the more complicated approach. Not only do you have to create the morphable duct tape object, but the wrapping part will be a challenge itself if the object being wrapped is not uniform and/or if the portion being wrapped is not particularly small. I'm assuming that the rope that you refer to is the EasyPose rope by Ajax. That is something that could hypothetically be done by adding the necessary bones to a strip as you are imagining, with or without using the EasyPose script, but a lot of potential work, and you will still need texture maps for it representing the duct tape surface.

I would look into Option 1 first.

• chris-2599934chris-2599934 Posts: 1,775

I was wanting to make tape, like duct tape, that could be wrapped around things.  I have a rope I got from one of the packages online that has a lot of joints and thought about combining a plane scaled down to the size of tape, flatten the rope, and then merge them together so I could have wrap-around tape.  Is there a way to do that?  Or is there an easier way to do it?

If you have a posable rope - like the ones from sickleyield's various Tied Up products - you could try reducing the scale of one of the dimensions, try x or z, to flatten it out into a tape. If it doesn't work when you rescale the whole rope that way, try rescaling all the segments individually instead.

It's not quite what you're trying to do, but the dog leads in the attached picture are flattened Sickleyield ropes with a leather shader applied.

finish03a.png
    1349 x 1512 - 5M
  • wildbillnashwildbillnash Posts: 711

Thanks to the both of you for your response.  Chris-xxx, imagine me slapping the side of my head.  I had already tried to scale down the rope to tape thickness but the sides weren't even, they curved for each segment of the rope. But, then I realized one of the other SY ropes was smooth.  That did the trick.  Now I need to figure out how to make it shine like duct tape.  I can do medical tape easily, as well as mummy wrappings (I think).